Hosted Tables

MARIANH

Evidently since the addition of the 2 larger ships the hosted "dinner invitations" have certainly changed ~~ on the smaller Sister ships it didn't matter if you had 1 day of sailing Seabourn or 500 days ~~

I know having 200 guests aboard opposed to 400 or 450 would be much less of a challenge for the dining room Maitre'D to seat all passengers at a hosted table but no one should be excluded if they would like to dine at the larger hosted tables and to receive invitations.

On the Odyssey last year I know of a seasoned Seabourn sailor that didn't receive dinner invitations ~~~was a mystery! Still is ~:confused:

MB

It would be good if everyone would not bitch about who and who does not get invited to 'tables'. Just say, when you get on board, or if you prefer to the Maitre'd on the first evening, we would/would not like to receive invitations to dine and are/are not willing to be last minute invitees if someone refuses. It is not really a big deal, IMO.

" Everyone" is not " bitching"!

If you look at my starter thread and subsequent submissions, you will see I made it clear that I was not complaining ( aka bitching)- just interested to understand how the system works. It seems from the many posts, that others did not understand either. In sharing experiences through this community forum we have all become better informed. Big deal or not, that is what Cruise Critic is for ( in my humble opinion) and is a very powerful vehicle to help us make informed decisions.

I still find it surprising that Seabourn gives no guidance on this matter and that we all have to learn through a process of osmosis. But ok - c'est la vie.

Apologies, MarianH but some people did seem to be 'bitching', mainly about Host Dan, I think you may agree. And, yes, Seabourn should give guidance on this subject so that everyone knows where they stand, if it is important to them. Sorry, but it is just not important to me or my DH.

I've tried to read all of this.

I think we can now see from what we read that this works differently and the factors could be the size of the ships, the specific maitre d' and possibly the specific passengers.

So, I have a simple recommendation.

If you want to be invited to hosted tables then when you board the ship let the Maitre d' know.

If you do not want to sit at a hosted table either let the Maitre d' know or just wait for your first invitation (if you get one) and then when your RSVP to give your regrets also ask them to make a record in your portolio that you are not interested in being inivited to them.

Keith

Well, I guess if we can't debate this, we can always fall back on the sure fire incendiary subject of formal nights versus no formal nights.(I am still trying to assimilate the fact that a Noble contributor to these pages travels with three sets of formal wear. I consulted my wife, and she thinks I am suffering from fashion envy.) A curious case here is that when Marianh contacted SBUK he got essentially no insight. Whereas Miami said, "Here's what you do." I agree with Marianh on the fascination of comparing life notes with those from the other side of the pond. But I don't necessarily want to talk with a British journalist--better a rancher, or banker or anybody whose life experiences are different from mine. Dinner conversation is most stimulating when it is also a form of discovery. Isn't it?

Well, I guess if we can't debate this, we can always fall back on the sure fire incendiary subject of formal nights versus no formal nights.(I am still trying to assimilate the fact that a Noble contributor to these pages travels with three sets of formal wear. I consulted my wife, and she thinks I am suffering from fashion envy.) A curious case here is that when Marianh contacted SBUK he got essentially no insight. Whereas Miami said, "Here's what you do." I agree with Marianh on the fascination of comparing life notes with those from the other side of the pond. But I don't necessarily want to talk with a British journalist--better a rancher, or banker or anybody whose life experiences are different from mine. Dinner conversation is most stimulating when it is also a form of discovery. Isn't it?

I learned quite early on that there are things that can be said and things that can't be said ... in my family if we were to say some of the things that my wife's family says to each other ... we would never speak to eachother again. Threads are stopped cold due to anonymous bully's rebuking what is asked or commented on. So ... I want to say that in my opinion, the elimination of formal nights does take away from the status of this company. I know that dress codes are archaic, and only appeal to a select few ... but the Seabourn client and staff ... they are the select few.

I agree

Bon appetit

We have only been on 3 Seabourn cruises (all long ones though) and have always had invites to Hosted Tables including at least one, sometimes two with the Captain. One night we had a "special" Australia Day dinner, so the Captain joined us. He commented that I had turned down two of his invitations so he would come to our dinner instead!

Like Jane, our invitations have always arrived on the day, never in advance. We have also received the "late afternoon" invites where they are trying to fill the tables where people have declined...sometimes we accept, sometimes we dont.

We have NEVER notified anyone, that we wanted to be included...it has always just been automatic. (we have only been on the small ships)

If we dont have an invitation, we are ALWAYS asked at the dining room entrance if we wish to dine alone, or would we like to join another table....

oh an btw.....we are always in the "cheap" suites......

I learned quite early on that there are things that can be said and things that can't be said ... in my family if we were to say some of the things that my wife's family says to each other ... we would never speak to eachother again. Threads are stopped cold due to anonymous bully's rebuking what is asked or commented on. So ... I want to say that in my opinion, the elimination of formal nights does take away from the status of this company. I know that dress codes are archaic, and only appeal to a select few ... but the Seabourn client and staff ... they are the select few.

TYFH, I was being slightly facetious. Because there is a history on this site of town vs. gown, in which the amiable discussion of Why You Should (or Not) Lug Your Tux gets hijacked into one or more of the following areas: It's A Class Thing--whereupon snobbery is implied. It"s An Aristocratic Moment vs. The Mob--more bickering over social distinctions. Although I was once firmly in the Anti-Tux camp, I have mellowed--or increased my meds--so that I now can admit--oh the pain of it!--that a sea of penguins in the MDR isn't so awful.(Note, though, that a band of penguins on land is called a "waddle." Verily.) But I can't stand the social pretention which supports the enthusiasm of some--though not all--who are pro-tux. Decades ago I was at the Imperial Hotel in Torquay when a pair of Colonel Blimps entered the dining room, chests festooned with medals, their tuxedos virtually polished. That seemed anachronistic, but oddly appropriate. As I may have said elsewhere, people are no wittier or more interesting in formal wear than in chinos. As for select, I agree that we are, in the sense that we can afford a kind of travel that most cannot. But I would challenge you if you are suggesting that boarding a Seabourn cruise--or a Silversea one--is a process of natural selection. And I do admire your, um, forthrightness.

TYFH, I was being slightly facetious. Because there is a history on this site of town vs. gown, in which the amiable discussion of Why You Should (or Not) Lug Your Tux gets hijacked into one or more of the following areas: It's A Class Thing--whereupon snobbery is implied. It"s An Aristocratic Moment vs. The Mob--more bickering over social distinctions. Although I was once firmly in the Anti-Tux camp, I have mellowed--or increased my meds--so that I now can admit--oh the pain of it!--that a sea of penguins in the MDR isn't so awful.(Note, though, that a band of penguins on land is called a "waddle." Verily.) But I can't stand the social pretention which supports the enthusiasm of some--though not all--who are pro-tux. Decades ago I was at the Imperial Hotel in Torquay when a pair of Colonel Blimps entered the dining room, chests festooned with medals, their tuxedos virtually polished. That seemed anachronistic, but oddly appropriate. As I may have said elsewhere, people are no wittier or more interesting in formal wear than in chinos. As for select, I agree that we are, in the sense that we can afford a kind of travel that most cannot. But I would challenge you if you are suggesting that boarding a Seabourn cruise--or a Silversea one--is a process of natural selection. And I do admire your, um, forthrightness.

Well, I live in the South ... below the Mason Dixon Line ... the land that time forgot. Plantations still exist and most people are cash poor and possession rich ... We still have coming out balls for our 17 year old daughters (So too for our boys as well ... we have become a bit liberal) ... and cotillions require a trip to New York to buy the several ball gowns that are required wear at the numerous parties that are thrown in the honor of our virgin daughters. We like to dress and ones status in town is not about the money ... but about the family and education AND whom you are dating or married to. This is history ... a history that is in every country. Now, me?? I am the spawn of a Illinois Farmer and his bride ... My Great Grandmother was an Apache Indian (which was a disgrace in the Mid West). Both my parents came from middle class America. Here is where the natural selection gets interesting. I really don't care what your background is ... or who you know (although that can be lots of fun!) ... but I do care about your ability to be gracious, to be charitable, to be benevolent ... to be human. I care that you care about others feelings and that you have respect for someone that is doing their best. It is a natural selection since those with this index are generally the ones that board Seabourn ... AND Damn, I have to decide now if my Burberry print Tux or my black Armini tux will be the one to pack! One formal night ... What happens if the picture sucks?

Well, I live in the South ... below the Mason Dixon Line ... the land that time forgot. Plantations still exist and most people are cash poor and possession rich ... We still have coming out balls for our 17 year old daughters (So too for our boys as well ... we have become a bit liberal) ... and cotillions require a trip to New York to buy the several ball gowns that are required wear at the numerous parties that are thrown in the honor of our virgin daughters. We like to dress and ones status in town is not about the money ... but about the family and education AND whom you are dating or married to. This is history ... a history that is in every country. Now, me?? I am the spawn of a Illinois Farmer and his bride ... My Great Grandmother was an Apache Indian (which was a disgrace in the Mid West). Both my parents came from middle class America. Here is where the natural selection gets interesting. I really don't care what your background is ... or who you know (although that can be lots of fun!) ... but I do care about your ability to be gracious, to be charitable, to be benevolent ... to be human. I care that you care about others feelings and that you have respect for someone that is doing their best. It is a natural selection since those with this index are generally the ones that board Seabourn ... AND Damn, I have to decide now if my Burberry print Tux or my black Armini tux will be the one to pack! One formal night ... What happens if the picture sucks?

Sir, you sound like a gentleman. Welcome aboard. It would be a pleasure to share a dinner table with you. About that tux ...

A suggestion for the Odyssey class ships is to also make a request for invitations to hosted dinner tables to the Social Hostess as he or she might be able to help in this area.

FYI, several years ago on the triplets, one of the assistant Cruise Directors would make up the list for the invitees of all hosted tables for dinner each night. Then based on the acceptances, the Maitre 'd would make the seating assignments for each table. That was how it used to be done. Now, it appears to be a mystery...

Sir, you sound like a gentleman. Welcome aboard. It would be a pleasure to share a dinner table with you. About that tux ...

Please may I join in? Sadly the only medals I could sport would be from sport with the patina that comes with age ( medals and me). However my tux...

It may be time to draw a line in the sand re "hosted" tables.

In a very short time my thread has yielded 62 replies and around 1300 hits. This suggests considerable interest in the topic. We still do not have a clear steer on Seabourn policy - perhaps they don't have one! But we have a much better understanding of strategies that should ensure invitations are received ( or not if you so wish) - recognising that each ship appears to have autonomy in this matter and practices vary between ships.

The best advice seems to be to follow Matthew 7:7 starting with your TA and/or Seabourn when you make a booking. This to be followed up with a personal request to the Maitre D on boarding and maybe a request also to Guest Services.

Exchanges on this thread seem to me to be an exemplar for raising issues, sharing experience and achieving an outcome. May I thank all of you who have contributed.

Now next topic please?

Admirable, my dear Dr! Idea: Perhaps you could host a table for Baker Street Irregulars at Sea, or others seeking stimulating conversation. (I am serious.) After all, many of us sail as couples (or singles) in hope of meeting interesting people with whom to interact. That is why, particularly early in the cruise, we ask to join others, or welcome others to our table. Sure, you can be saddled with a dreadful bore. But that meal will eventually end. And perhaps you will meet people whose company you really enjoy. So, open call for for Sojourn, December 10th, for anyone interested in Baltic mysteries--MarianH, you wouldn't also be known as Irene Adler?--or female German tourists, or the similarities and differences of life in the U.S. and UK--indeed, any subject except the devolving World Cup. First night, MDR, 8:00pm, table for 10--or fewer, as response dictates. Any takers?

We will be on that cruise but I fear the only thing I could add is NOT talking about the World Cup!

Duos will be at the same table, but not next to each other.

Great ideas about hosting your own themed tables. May try that sometime.

Some tables have been lots of fun, others, not so much. As for sitting with the captain, only if you are in one of the most expensive units or have lots and lots of days with SB.

I must disagree, on our 1st Seabourn cruise last Dec we were invited to sit at the Captains table and, trust me, we were not in one of the expensive suites. The only thing I could determine is that it may have been because I practically wrote a book on the mid cruise survey, the good, the not so good and suggestions for improvements. The dinner was, ok, all the couples split up, my husband could not have been further from me, the wine was the same as the other tables but the service was a bit more attentive. Although the service was already extremely well done.

>"In a very short time my thread has yielded 62 replies and around 1300 hits. This suggests considerable interest in the topic."

I suggest another analysis, the 62 posters, several of whom are repeats, each reading this thread over 25 times!

>"In a very short time my thread has yielded 62 replies and around 1300 hits. This suggests considerable interest in the topic."

I suggest another analysis, the 62 posters, several of whom are repeats, each reading this thread over 25 times!

I have not until now posted to the thread but still find it interesting. People who are bored with it have no obligation to continue reading it.

Roy

With respect, apply your logic to other threads and you would conclude that very few people are interested in many of them. In which case it is probably time to give up. Its no big deal, but I believe this thread has demonstrated considerable interest in the topic. And there was an outcome. Not unique, I know; but somewhat rare nowadays. Unless of course you were not being serious - difficult to judge from this side of the pond.

Jane

I think a most interesting and amusing thread , "My unforgettable experience while dining at an Officer's hosted table!":confused:

I've had several as I know you've had a few as well~~:eek:

Martita B.

Should you wish to solicit contributions to such an interesting and potentially amusing thread, mine based on recent Sojourn experience would be as follows :

"My unforgettable experience while dining at an Officer's hosted table is not being invited to dine"

>" Unless of course you were not being serious - difficult to judge from this side of the pond."

Well, this Pond was just trying to bring a smile, having taken several courses in statistics in university. No offense was intended. obviously it's a case of inferred and implied.

Archived