Zumba on Ships?

Queenzena

I've not heard of zumba, but they do have quite a number of other fitness classes, some for a charge.

Darcie:

Check your TV, it is a hundred times a day on my TV system, paid programming...It actually looks pretty good, uses various spanish, cuban, etc music...

• 6 months later...

I have yet to see Zumba on the ships but I think it would be a great class to offer. I'd pay extra for it! I think I'll suggest that on my next comment card they get a certified Zumba teacher on board to teach classes!! :)

I have yet to see Zumba on the ships but I think it would be a great class to offer. I'd pay extra for it! I think I'll suggest that on my next comment card they get a certified Zumba teacher on board to teach classes!! :)

I second that! LOVE ZUMBA

I totally agree! Zumba is such a fun way to get a good workout. If enough of us Zumba- lovers request it, I think Celebrity will listen. The teacher has to be certified. Actually, my Zumba teacher here in California told me she'd LOVE to work on cruise ships. I am taking her business card with me when I board the Eclipse on Friday and am going to push it. I'd pay extra also. Beats the boring treadmill...

Actually, they did offer a few Zumba classes on the Equinox in November. I don't know if it was "official" Zumba or not, but there was a good turnout. I take Zumba Gold which is not quite as strenuous as regular Zumba, but still offers a great workout.

Sheila

I totally agree! Zumba is such a fun way to get a good workout. If enough of us Zumba- lovers request it, I think Celebrity will listen. The teacher has to be certified. Actually, my Zumba teacher here in California told me she'd LOVE to work on cruise ships. I am taking her business card with me when I board the Eclipse on Friday and am going to push it. I'd pay extra also. Beats the boring treadmill...

Actually, they did offer a few Zumba classes on the Equinox in November. I don't know if it was "official" Zumba or not, but there was a good turnout. I take Zumba Gold which is not quite as strenuous as regular Zumba, but still offers a great workout.

Sheila

I'm on the Equinox in April so I'm eager to see if they do anything zumba related!! I will have to come back and let you all know. Well, all we can do is ask for it!!

We were on a Princess ship in August and they offered Zumba classes the week of our cruise as an introduction to see if people were interested. The classes were packed. I don't know if Princess is now offering Zumba or not but it is a fun way to exercise!

We were on a Princess ship in August and they offered Zumba classes the week of our cruise as an introduction to see if people were interested. The classes were packed. I don't know if Princess is now offering Zumba or not but it is a fun way to exercise!

How cool!!! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned home after 2 weeks on the Eclipse. I did talk to several people about Zumba: the Hotel Director and the Cruise Director. It was suggested that I write to Dan Hanrahan, President and CEO and I'm going to do just that. Thing is---they have to have a Zumba-certified person on board. It would not be too hard for one person on the Activities staff to get certified or for them to look for Zumba-certified people when hiring new staff.

Keep asking and they'll get the idea that we want it for exercise.

They did have some sessions called "Modern Line Dancing" which were fun, but did not offer the same workout. They taught a different set of steps at each class so much of the time was taken up by teaching and practicing the new steps. I think it would be more valuable to teach some basic Zumba steps with a certified person and repeat them during each class during the cruise so it would offer a good workout. That is what Zumba is about.

BTW, the back-to-back cruises were great!

Sheila

I love dancing (do it on my own) and have attended a couple of Zumba classes here in Seattle. My Zumba instructor was excellent because she also had years of teaching and dance expertise. Zumba would be a lot of fun but the classes tend to get too crowded. Zumba instructor Certification takes one day and costs around $250-$300.00.

It is important for the class size to be kept manageable and with enough space for flying arms and elbows:D

At my health club we have a very good dance teacher who teaches something called "Latin Heat". She is not a certified Zumba instructor, but her classes are very popular and close enough to Zumba style steps and instruction. Perhaps a couple of the Celebrity entertainer/dancers could take turns holding Zumba-style classes, but they would need to call it something else due to the Zumba trademark protection.

At my health club we have a very good dance teacher who teaches something called "Latin Heat". She is not a certified Zumba instructor, but her classes are very popular and close enough to Zumba style steps and instruction. Perhaps a couple of the Celebrity entertainer/dancers could take turns holding Zumba-style classes, but they would need to call it something else due to the Zumba trademark protection.
That is done by dance teachers elsewhere as well. We know a woman who teaches aerobic Latin dancing under her own name and her classes are even more popular than the Zumba classes offered at the same location.

The Celebrity dancers could put together their own routines and offer free dance classes like that for passengers very easily.

Even members of the cruise director's staff could do it.

I think it would be very popular because it is done without a partner and there are lots of single people on cruise ships who love to dance but don't have partners, as well as lots of married women who love to dance but have husbands who don't.

In their ad campaigns, Celebrity likes to distinguish themselves from other cruise lines. An xcellent addition to their enrichment program would be an xercise dance program unique to Celebrity, with a name like

Celebrity Latin Dance AerobX.

{Celebrity Latin Dance AerobX.}

Fleckle....are you in marketing? (LOL) That would be a terrific name for Celebrity's own trademark name for some great dancing!

And you are right...the fact that a partner is not needed is a real plus! Hope that Celebrity is reading this thread.

I know that all 5 of the women in my last cruise group on the Solstice would have signed up. We felt more comfortable learning the basic steps on a cruise than failing miserably at the ongoing classes in our communities.
The nice thing about this type of dancing is that there is no need to memorize routines. Our friend, who teaches her own Latin dance classes, always encourages her students to "feel the music" and "go on your own" as she encourages her students to modify the steps to suit themselves.

Basically, the way she explained it, they can follow the leader or not, as they wish. Whatever steps you do will be the "right" steps even if they are not the same ones she is doing. She thinks it is important to make everyone feel comfortable and never wants newcomers to feel self-conscious or conspicuous.

She deliberately keeps the lighting low so people will not feel they are on display. She just wants everyone to move to the music, get exercise and have a good time. In this type of dance class "failing miserably" or even failing at all would be impossible.

It would be well suited for a cruise ship where they get different passengers at different ability levels on each cruise, or even at each session.

Archived