Why are the rolls so bad?

Seriously, this is one of the only things i don't like about dinner. The rolls are terrible. Hard and crunchy, and they flake all over the place. Some simple Pillsbury rolls are better than the one RCI has. Does anyone know why they are so bad? lol.

Seriously, this is one of the only things i don't like about dinner. The rolls are terrible. Hard and crunchy, and they flake all over the place. Some simple Pillsbury rolls are better than the one RCI has. Does anyone know why they are so bad? lol.

I don't know from rolls, but I'm interested in finding out what these Savory Bites are that everyone is always raving about.

I love the crusty rolls!

LOL...I guess that's just another example of everyone's tastes being different.

I always have multiples of the sourdough and the savory bites at dinner.

Yummy!

I hope you found something else to your liking...maybe some of the sliced bread selections??

I love the crusty rolls!

Yummy!

I hope you found something else to your liking...maybe some of the sliced bread selections??

Yeah, the sliced pieces of bread are softer.

Where I live, comments like yours are referred to as "stirring" or "having a lend" of the reader ... (Well done, all the more for you and me) .. lol back :D

A good Sour Dough roll is hard to find.

RCI's are Fresh, Crisp on the Outside, and Tasty, exactly like they are supposed to be!

We also love the "Savory Bites!"

This is not a case of the rolls being "bad" it is a case of the OP preferring another kind of roll. :eek:

I love the crusty rolls!

Yummy!

Us, too! We hunted down the rolls in the MDR and WJ. Yummy!! :D

Omgosh...we can't get enough of the sourdough rolls! I try to stay away from carbs during the year but on a cruise, all bets are off. My husband says it's the rolls themselves that are great but I say it's the BUTTER that makes them so addicting.

We actually thought the same thing. Hard crunchy rolls, dont know what the fuss is about with the savoury bites, yuk!:)

I am also not a fan of the hard rolls, but perhaps avoiding bread isn't such a bad thing. The bread basket in Portofino is great!

I agree with the bread in Portofino, thats lovely, it would be nice to have the same in MDR.

Of all the things I can - and do complain about - like no chocolate on the pillows but that's another thread - the bread is so good in the MDR. Yep just goes to show what one person likes another doesn't. Good thing there are choices in this world.

Of all the things I can - and do complain about - like no chocolate on the pillows but that's another thread - the bread is so good in the MDR. Yep just goes to show what one person likes another doesn't. Good thing there are choices in this world.

I'm with you Pat.........those rolls are wonderful.

As far as the crumbs..........how else can they make bread pudding!:D

Food is always subjective.

We're just back from Explorer of the Seas. DH LOVED the savory bites, as most folks do. I didnt. I preferred the sourdough rolls which were perfect for sourdough rolls. I doubt these are baked on board, but baking & taste has a lot to do with the water used.

[marci, any bread products are by far better here on the east coast, moreso in NY than NJ, but I agree that taste is regional, it is what folks get used to]

OP: try the sliced bread, it is soft.

I guess the quality of the rolls/bread must vary with the ship. On Brilliance last year the bread and rolls were so good, I thought about asking for a pound of butter and a basket of rolls for dinner - forget the main course!

OP: Have you mentioned your preference for a softer roll to your waiter? Who knows- maybe he or she may be able to do something about it, especially if it's a big deal to you.

Personally I love the sourdough rolls and usually get 2 on the day they have the duck terrine as the appetizer.

I try to avoid "white" breads for the most part but did try the sliced bread with olives in it and it was delicious!

At home all I eat is Natures Own Double Fiber Wheat bread.

My mom loves bread with her dinner...........She never once fussed about what she got on RC.

I like the crunchy ones too, and the fact they have Aussie Vegemite available when in Australian waters is fantastic. I sometimes skip dessert and get two more bread rolls with Vegemite! yumm!

Oh and the banana bread is great too!

Everyone's taste is different. I love the hard rolls, which are hard to get here in Nebraska, and especially the savory bites. I always vow not to eat the bread on a cruise and end up breaking my vow after the first day or so.

I wouldn't be happy with just soft rolls, which are often kind of tasteless--to me.

I understand that the hot, flaky roll/soft roll is a regional thing in the USA (or at least was a regional thing before Globalisation mixed things up, even between US States).

Story goes that when Bess Truman moved into the White House she missed the hot, crumbly rolls she was used to in her Southern days. So a junior White House chef dug out the recipe and produced a bask of hot, crumbly rolls for her the next day. Truman promoted him to Maitre D the following day. Way to go Junior White House Chef!

But presumably there are still pockets of resistance around, at least in the Civil War of bread rolls.

The bakery products on RCCL are excellent

Archived