Duck Ride Accident on the Delaware River

A Ride the Duckboat in Philadelphia, PA had a serious accident today. A duckboat was in the Delaware River not moving. It was then hit by a barge. 37 passengers were aboard The Duck. At this point and time 35 of the 37 people were rescued by the Coast Gaurd and Phila. Marine Police. They are still searching for two people. There are no serious injuries. The Duck as reported for now has sunk. The Duck is a popular ride at many places.

I am sure you see the importance of a life vest when you are out on the water.

This is such sad, sad news!!!

I am wondering why the Duck boat was "sitting still" !!

One main rule of the water is that the smaller boat gives way (gets out of way) of the larger one.

Also another rule of the water is that as a boat operator, you MUST CONSTANTLY be aware of what's going on full 360 degrees around you.

There is no way the barge could avoid a much smaller boat sitting still!!

Duck boat was anchored and waiting to be towed.....engine trouble. It couldn't move out of the way. They found the duck tour boat 50 ft below the surface, it will be brought up on Thursday they said.

What gets me it was pretty close to the shore line along Penn's Landing. Can't figure out why the barge being pushed by a tug boat was so close to the shoreline to begin with?

Still alot of unanswered questions?

Jimbo:)

Duck boat was anchored and waiting to be towed.....engine trouble. It couldn't move out of the way. They found the duck tour boat 50 ft below the surface, it will be brought up on Thursday they said.

What gets me it was pretty close to the shore line along Penn's Landing. Can't figure out why the barge being pushed by a tug boat was so close to the shoreline to begin with?

Still alot of unanswered questions?

Jimbo:)

hmm they initially said it wasn't in the deep part of the channel....

not sure what was going on with the barge, but i think NBC10 said it was city owned...

hmm they initially said it wasn't in the deep part of the channel....

not sure what was going on with the barge, but i think NBC10 said it was city owned...

From where the diver came up from it was just above where the boat went down and from the pictures they showed on TV it was very close to the shoreline (Penns Landing) Didn't look to be the channel if you ask me. Showed the barge and the tow boat in the back ground, that looked like that was sitting in the channel and that was a ways away from where the police boat was with the diver.

Didn't really hear or I missed it if they mentioned how deep the channel was.

Archived