New cruiser with family

Help! Our family is new to this! We just put a hold on a reservation for a 7 day cruise on the RC Freedom of the Seas. There are 2 negative points: we were only able to get a family ocean view stateroom on deck 2 (we worry about the noise)..and we were only able to get the dinner seating at 8:30 pm (this is for us too late with 3 kids)... Also, we were interested in any other family friendly cruise lines - but were told that either they are party boats (Carnival) or are geared towards younger kids (Disney).. our kids are 8, 11 and 12... Any input or advice would really be appreciated! Thanks!!

You can always try to get My Time Dining, where you can eat dinner anytime within a range of times. This would probably work best for your family.

Can't help you with the state room as I have not been on the Freedom. I'm sure someone else here will have some input.

I can't comment on deck 2 since I've never stayed there. However, a few comments about the late seating: first, you can request a switch as soon as you get on board; second, you may not mind the late seating as much as you think, particularly if you are going on shore excurstions. When we've had the early seating, we often felt rushed to get there on days we were in port, having to get everyone back, showered, changed and down to the dining room. Remember, too, that you'll be on "vacation time" so while you may not eat that late at home, it doesn't feel quite so late if you're sleeping in, having lunch late, grabbing afternoon snacks, etc.

Plus, we often eat other places besides the main dining room anyway -- it's generally not where my kids want to eat, since they want to be either at the kids club "after hours" parties, or at the Windjammer because it's quicker, or having pizza at Sorrento's. You get the picture... it's their vacation too, so I don't feel like making them sit through a formal sit-down dinner when they don't enjoy it nearly as much as we do. As a matter of fact, sometimes we take them for whatever they chose for dinner, then let them go to the club while we have dinner in the dining room.

Good Luck!

Another option as far as staterooms would be to look at 2 adjoining interior Promenade staterooms. We just booked Liberty and it was actually cheaper but just an idea.

As someone else stated, you can request a transfer to the early seating when you get on board.

That's very exciting, isn't it! :D

Five in one stateroom is going to be tight; as mentioned, is there any way to book 2 connecting cabins? You'll get the extra bathroom out of it. Have not stayed on Deck 2 so cannot comment on that.

As mentioned, the dining situation is really the least of all to be concerned about. You can change that, or sign up for My Time Dining, or eat in the Windjammer Buffet at night at a time which suits you best.

You will love Freedom and so will your kids. There is lots to do onboard, including rock wall climbing (which all the kids can do) and the FlowRider (how tall is your 8 year old? They will measure his/her height if in question). RCI is a very family-friendly cruise line, especially the Freedom class and larger ships. You'll have a great time!!

Since this is your first time cruising, you might find a travel agent to speak with. They may be able to find other rooms for you and switch you to early seating. I've been lucky with having my agent do my changes. Just find one that knows cruising. As your friends for suggestions. We aren't allowed to give names on here. Enjoy your cruise ... you'll be hooked like the rest of us.

On one of our cruises, the table next to us had three kids around your kids ages. The first night they were all there. Then we never saw the kids again until the second formal night when one of the kids came by looking for his soda card/sea pass and then left again (it was actually really cute - he was trying to "sneak in" because he knew he was waaaay underdressed in t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops). I think they were all in the kids club.

thanks for your inputs so far! I was told that the room is around 350 SF and sleeps up to 6. Also, one other concern with the dining was that we would miss on some shows in the evening... regarding foods.. what is included and what not? For example afternoon snacks or pizza.. do you pay for this extra?

Yes - it is all very exciting but also kinda "scary" :confused:

Oh, definitely stick with Freedom, your kids will *love* it! My DD just adored the ship, she rock climbed, ice skated, boogie boarded on Flowrider, spent lots of time in Adventure Ocean and made a really nice friend, splashed around in the H20 zone, and chose to grab some pizza and go to various parties at Adventure Ocean in the evenings. She was 10 then.

I'd definitely try to change your dining to My Time Dining - it does mean you have to pre-pay your tips but I always do that anyway. It just means that you can eat at a good time for all of you (we usually ate around 7 or 7.30).

Enjoy! :)

Your basic food is included. Pizza and little sandwiches too. There is an ice cream machine on the pool deck that is included. The specialty restaurants (Chops and Portofino) have a surcharge. You can order room service and it's also included in your fare. It's customary to tip the person a couple of bucks for bringing your food.

As for shows, there are always 2 shows ... one for late dinner and one for early dinner. You'll be able to make whatever ones you want to see. Don't miss the ice show. They will announce in the daily newspaper when tickets will be available. You'll love the freedom!!

thanks for your inputs so far! I was told that the room is around 350 SF and sleeps up to 6. Also, one other concern with the dining was that we would miss on some shows in the evening... regarding foods.. what is included and what not? For example afternoon snacks or pizza.. do you pay for this extra?

Almost all food - including pizza - is included. What is not included are the two speciality restaurants (Chops Grille and Portofino) but we liked the Main Dining Room (MDR) so much we ate in there every night. All afternoon snacks and in fact all food in the Windjammer Cafe is free; all food in Sorrento's Pizzeria is free, and - I think - all food in Cafe Promenade is free (I think you get charged for speciality coffees in there). You pay for ice cream etc. in Ben and Jerrys, but there is a free ice cream machine up on the pool deck.

If you absolutely can't change to My Time Dining or early sitting, then you'll be able to see the shows before dinner - there are always two showings, one for the early diners, and one for the late diners, so don't worry! :)

No, afternoon snacks like pizza are free. Most food on the ship including room service is free (there is a slight surcharge in the late evening for room service). When we had late seating, we'd always come back to the ship and either go up to the WJ to see what snacks were available or order from room service. You won't go hungry at all:) If you go to a specialty restaurant/food area that will have a surcharge but in most cases, there is no charge for food. The extras are drinks - most beverages are not included.

I think the shows for the late seating are before dinner or the shows/activities that are only once an evening are really late like after 10:30 so that you won't miss it! There is SO much to do on a cruise that you'll want to do/see everything and only get to about 25-50% but you'll have so much fun!!! And the kids will have a ball! I haven't been on the Freedom yet, but I've looked at it and I've been on other RCCL ships and they will have a great time!!!

You and your kids will love the Freedom, she is an awesome ship. I have stayed on deck 3 in an oceanview cabin and it was wonderful. It was so peaceful and quiet down there, we said if we ever did another oceanview we would request the 3rd deck.

As far as extra cost. The pizza and sandwiches/salads you get in the promenade are free. Only the speciality restaurants are extra....Chops, Portifinos and Johnny Rockets and then sodas, beer, shakes and some ice cream.

I took my kids (aged 10, 12 and 14) on a Carnival cruise a few years ago, and many of the observations made earlier about the dining hold true. The kids don't enjoy it nearly as much as you do, so let them eat wherever. We required attendance only on the formal nights, but the kids wound up eating in the MDR with us 5 of the 7 nights. My son currently holds the world's record for consuming racks of lamb on Carnival Cruise lines. But I would echo what has been said here and what you referred to about Carnival being a party boat, and there are lots of drunk and disorderly types there.

We had an inside cabin with 5 people. You can sleep 5 people in the cabin, and it works out fine, but it is very tight, and you have to restrict luggage for that reason. I wouldn't do it that way again. I would go for the two connecting cabins if it were me.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

RCI makes it so that every guest can see the show with their dinner time. They typically have two shows - a pre-dinner show for late seating guests and an after-dinner show for main seating guests.

As for food, you've already paid for almost everything. Windjammer is included. Most of the dining options in the promenade are included (exception is Seattle's Best). Room service is included. Pool deck food is included, and dining room food is included. Johnny Rocket's, Chops, and Portofino are additional fees (but the beverages are included if you have purchased the Coke card).

We actually like the late seating. We used to be main seating people, but it was often difficult to get ready, coming on the ship from an excursion and having to race to get showered and dressed. We showed up late to dinner every night on the last cruise that we had main seating. However, with the late seating, we're usually always on time. Not to mention, if you have late seating, then the rock wall and putt-putt course usually aren't crowded when all of the main seating guests are at dinner.

You will love the Freedom with kids that age. We are heading out on Liberty for our second time next month. My boys are 12.5 and 8 (they were last on Freedom in November 2007).

As for dining, see about a change to My Time. You can choose to eat when it works for you. Only down side is that you might not have the same waitstaff each night. While many kids don't enjoy the dining, my kids love it (especially my older son who is very much a foodie). But believe me, they want to get out of there and head up to the kids' club right afterwards. Then you can go and enjoy some time in the clubs or bars.

Your older ones will love the flowrider (not sure if your 8 yo is tall enough...I think minimum height for boogie boarding is 51" but someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Also, if they like it, bring long pants and socks so they can ice skate (my 8 yo loves to tell others he learned to ice skate in the middle of the ocean!). They will love the H2O zone, the ice cream machine, the promenade, etc.

You've already been told about extra pay food venues. Believe me, there is enough for free that you won't be worried. I still remember snacking on the mozzarella and tomato from Sorrento (like an antipasto...yum!). And the cookies in the Cafe are TO DIE FOR.

As for the cabin, I don't think that you should worry about being on deck 2. I think you should select a cabin that will give you the most size/space bang for your buck. If splitting up into 2 cabins (maybe OV and inside or connecting promenades) will make more sense, then check that out too.

Any other questions, please ask away.

How exciting to plan your cruise! Don't be scared....once you get on the ship everything is so easy that you really don't have to think about it......there is food avaliable 24 hrs round the clock so going hungry will not happen.

There are usually 2 shows in the evening to coordinate with dinner times. You can always get food in the Windjammer or on the Promanade, or room service. It is all free. The only places where you pay extra are the specialty restaurants and Johnny Rockets.

Just remember - everyone on board, no matter how many cruises they've taken, was a newbie at one time. If you're not sure where something is, how to do something, etc. - just ask. The crew members are there to help - and are incredible.

Beware - you are in real danger of becoming hooked on cruising. :)

I recommend calling RCI regularly to request the main seating. We were also given second seating on the Freedom but called a few weeks later to find that they had some main seating tables open up.

We adored the Freedom and are rebooked on her for next year. I think your kids will love it!

Thanks to all for your inputs - wow, this forum is such a great resource!!!

So, spent 2 hours sitting with a travel agent - as you can imagine my head is spinning now :eek: But it was very informative!

Anyway, so our choices are very limited because we are looking at the Thanksgiving Week... so, if we want to be on the Freedom then it has to be a family room (cramped together)on deck 2 for over $ 6500. We have other options with Carnival... adjoint rooms for approx. $ 4000.. either with Carnival Glory or Carnival Victory. The agent thinks we would be very happy on a smaller boat since it is our first cruise.... we can always upgrade the next time (hmm... probably easier to upgrade than to downgrade :) and also book much earlier). So, I will check out the Carnival forum... but if you guys have any info on those 2 boats - I would appreciate your inputs. Thank you - maybe see you on the Freedom next year;)

Thanks to all for your inputs - wow, this forum is such a great resource!!!

So, spent 2 hours sitting with a travel agent - as you can imagine my head is spinning now :eek: But it was very informative!

Anyway, so our choices are very limited because we are looking at the Thanksgiving Week... so, if we want to be on the Freedom then it has to be a family room (cramped together)on deck 2 for over $ 6500. We have other options with Carnival... adjoint rooms for approx. $ 4000.. either with Carnival Glory or Carnival Victory. The agent thinks we would be very happy on a smaller boat since it is our first cruise.... we can always upgrade the next time (hmm... probably easier to upgrade than to downgrade :) and also book much earlier). So, I will check out the Carnival forum... but if you guys have any info on those 2 boats - I would appreciate your inputs. Thank you - maybe see you on the Freedom next year;)

The Victory sails from Puerto Rico so this will be an added expense to fly there, won't it? Also do you feel comfortable leaving children that young in a cabin by themselves? If the cabins were connecting, I would say go for it.

I wish we did Disney cruises when my kids were in that age bracket. I wouldnt rule it out. Im so sorry we never looked into it. I hear amazing things about Disney. Check out the family boards and the Disney boards.

Disney: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167

Family cruises: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

First time cruisers: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Disney is quite a bit more expensive. I don't think it is worth the extra money. I have taken my grandchildren on Disney, Carnival and Royal Caribbean and they actually like Disney the least.

we are new to this (cruises).. wow after checking this forum (which is very informative) and then spending hours with a travel agent.... my head is spinning and I realize that cruising is a world by itself!!! We are now down with a Carnival Victory cruise...the Eastern Caribbean .. we will just have to make this first experiment and learn from it... and if we like the cruising world we will have to book our next cruise much earlier in advance and hopefully have more options...

Anyway - great forum and thanks to all for their inputs!!!

Archived