Pool Chair Savers - Watch Out

rhumney

The new ships they are building are larger and larger. I have yet to be on one. Is there an improvement on the ratio of chaises to pax? Is the pool large enough to accomodate so many?
I don't have hard numbers, but I think that Solstice class probably has the worst ratio of any X ship for POOL SIDE chaises to passengers. Not sure about total chaise-passenger ratio since there are areas such as the lawn that do not exist on other ships. I can't recall seeing any pool overly crowded - on sea days the sloshing discourages some and on port days things are relatively slow in the pool area. YMMV

Thom

Let's hope that in a few months these threads will be a thing of the past. I'm sure the cruise lines are capable of thinking up ways to easily spot hogged chairs.

This problem has been there for a long time already. I am afraid cruiselines do not do enough about it.

I do believe there are a lot of cruisers that are totally unaware of the situation. A nice reminder a couple of times a day ~ in the daily platter/bulletin, when the cruise director is making his daily announcements, the Captain when he gives updates, etc.

Not just announcing please do NOT leave chairs unattended, but that "items will be removed to a Lost and Found after a specific amount of time". Some people are just oblivious and might show more respect if they are verbally reminded (not just a sign on the wall somewhere). Same goes for Kids with diapers in the Hot-Tubs, drinks in the pool, etc. Timely announcements at least give legitamacy to moving unattended items (and hopefully would reduce any conflicts).

Okay, enough from me today - SAILING IN 2 WEEKS WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Tiki

I decided to go ahead and email RCCL about their policy regarding this problem. I recieved a very lengthy voicemail, which I will paraphrase as best I can.

Basically, RCCL also views this amongst the most common complaints it gets, and they take it seriously. There is a regularly scheduled rotation to check on unattended chairs. The executive office was not able to define the timing of the rotation. They did indicate that if you could not find an empty lounger you should ask someone around the pool area to help and they would assist in locating a free one. If you should notice unattended chairs, if you call that to the attention of a crew member they will attend to it.(or should). It is not advisable to move someone's unattended belongings as it my create some "hard feelings" as people may mis interpret your intentions.

So, if you are cruising RCCL, just locate a crew member on deck if you see unattended lounges.

The diplomatic way! Just like momma taught me. Not as much fun as the "twisted mind" method, but what the heck...we're on vacation!;)

I prefer to be more direct & in your face. IMHO some hoggers out therre count on people being afraid to move stuff.....

Bob

Bottom line here is that this probably won't affect me as I will be quite busy with the multitude of activities provided. If I were to have problems finding a table in the buffet after loading a plate, I might go back and sit on a lounge that has a book etc. on it if I couldn't find an empty one. If someone came back to claim it while I was eating, I would most hurriedly give it up with the explanation of why I was using it. If they had attitude, I probably wouldn't give them the satisfaction of taking the bait. I would just smile and wish them the best cruise possible. I'd probably even mean it.

I don't care for the chair hogging mentality. I have definite opinions and can conjecture/fantasize what I might do. The above paragraph is probably as close as I will come to having a problem in this area, and I hope that the cruising spirit lifts me into a most gracious response!

I was raised to share and be considerate of others. If I do those things, it makes me feel good about myself. Not everybody was raised the same way or gets the same sense of satisfaction from these behaviors. That is the reality, and I may not like it, but I accept it for what it is.

The real bottom line is that I will be going to Alaska next week. My guess; lounge chair availability will be the least of the problems on that sailing!!! I'll bet Pfizer just hates cruises to Alaska; Xanax subscriptions most assuredly plummet over the chair hog issue. I know I was thinking about getting a script but I think everything's gonna be alright now.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Blanket Hogs!. OMG there'll be blanket hogs. Someone, quick, start a blanket hogs thread!!! :eek::eek::eek:

I do believe there are a lot of cruisers that are totally unaware of the situation. A nice reminder a couple of times a day ~ in the daily platter/bulletin, when the cruise director is making his daily announcements, the Captain when he gives updates, etc.

Not just announcing please do NOT leave chairs unattended, but that "items will be removed to a Lost and Found after a specific amount of time". Some people are just oblivious and might show more respect if they are verbally reminded (not just a sign on the wall somewhere). Same goes for Kids with diapers in the Hot-Tubs, drinks in the pool, etc. Timely announcements at least give legitamacy to moving unattended items (and hopefully would reduce any conflicts)...

On our last X cruise [May 2010 Mercury repositioning LA - Alaska - Vancouver] just about the only thing that aggravated me was the pre-show announcement where everything was "requested" [eg "You are requested to not save seats", "You are requested to not take flash photos"]. This makes it sound like you are allowed to save seats, but are merely requested not too. Come on X, get enough guts to actually just say "Saving of theatre seats is not allowed."

Thom

On our last X cruise [May 2010 Mercury repositioning LA - Alaska - Vancouver] just about the only thing that aggravated me was the pre-show announcement where everything was "requested" [eg "You are requested to not save seats", "You are requested to not take flash photos"]. This makes it sound like you are allowed to save seats, but are merely requested not too. Come on X, get enough guts to actually just say "Saving of theatre seats is not allowed."

Thom

I'm thinking they should bring back keel hauling or walking the plank. :D:p

Not absolutely sure I'm kidding. ;)

Thom

You know, there was a time when everyone knew that "You are requested not to...." meant DON"T DO IT!

Honestly, who doesn't understand what that means? What kind of troglodyte says, upon hearing the above, "Well, they didn't say I COULDN"T...".

Answer: Lived in the woods, brought up by wolves.

You know, there was a time when everyone knew that "You are requested not to...." meant DON"T DO IT!

Honestly, who doesn't understand what that means? What kind of troglodyte says, upon hearing the above, "Well, they didn't say I COULDN"T...".

Answer: Lived in the woods, brought up by wolves.

Waterlily:) go read the other thread about moving the stuff....the last

2 posts will make you smile (hopefully:D)...the ones before that could

make me cry:eek:

Waterlily:) go read the other thread about moving the stuff....the last

2 posts will make you smile (hopefully:D)...the ones before that could

make me cry:eek:

Thanks Lois. Those last two posts were cute. I always enjoy a little comic relief! :D

Some of those other posts...wow.

I spend a lot of my volunteer time working with teenagers and pre-teens, so I guess sometimes I just lose my patience when adults have lower standards for social behaviour than the kids do! ;)

And one of my pet peeves is the number of people nowadays that don't understand that a politely-worded "request" for civilized behaviour should elicit the same compliance as a "rule". It amazes me when regulations are laid out clearly (albeit politely), yet some people chose to flaunt the rules or guidelines unless there is "enforcement". How did we get to this?

Wait! Wait! Wait! Blanket Hogs!. OMG there'll be blanket hogs. Someone, quick, start a blanket hogs thread!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Your problem will be people that set up camp by the windows in the grill all day. They bring their cards, dominoes, etc. and have no qualms of taking up a table for four or six with two people (family may want a place to sit), while you wander around forever trying to find a place to eat your meal (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Your problem will be people that set up camp by the windows in the grill all day. They bring their cards, dominoes, etc. and have no qualms of taking up a table for four or six with two people (family may want a place to sit), while you wander around forever trying to find a place to eat your meal (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Yes, they do that in Alaska when the ship visits the glaciers. That's bad too!!

Tucker in Texas

The few times that I have experienced this I solved the problem by inviting myself to their table with my food. Sadly, there are some folks in our world who are inconsiderate and have no manners.

Tucker in Texas

Sailed the Golden Princess last year and noticed some of this. If it is immediately adjacent to the buffet and there is a table with vacant seats, like jackdiamond, I have no qualms asking to occupy said seats. As for the tables further from the dining areas, I had no problems with people sitting around playing cards etc. We may even do a little of that, but we'll probably be to busy make it a chronic habit. If we can't find a table on the weather decks, we might find somewhere off a weather deck that still provides a good view and is warmer.

If I left the pool area, I would evacuate the chair I was in for someone else. ..as in the posters who say that they leave to go and eat at a restaurant. I would only save my seat if I was going to get something and bring it back to my chair to eat it there.

...and as for someone who is in the bathroom for an hour... well that person needs to evacuate their chair and go to see the doctor! :confused:

Edited to say: Another thumbs up for Celebrity!

Just came back in April from the Soltice with"Pool Butlers" Don't get me started..read my review on Fodors or Cruise Mates.. I am/was an early sunner and went upstairs to the area where there were covered chAirs...one covered lounge had all sorts of snorkeling equipment..After several h ours a man cAme over fully dressed and re-arranged everything..went to the lounge chAirs across the way and did the same thing..then went back to the area where he could sit andsmoke. The "Pool Butlers' don't clean up, don't do a darn thing..Sadly since then I was diagnosed with skin cancer and have had to have plastic surgery.,.so I will now go to the inside pools on the Soltice type ships....then again I saw canopied lounges the sAme way... From now on..if I want one of those lounges..I think I'll toss their stuff or tell the glorified towel man....

Amen! They made the "take up stuff" announcement well into the Equinox trip in July. but, I never saw anyone do anything-I agree, if there is only a towel or towel and book the person is saving the seat. Yes, 30 min in the pool is not that long-and you may have gone to eat, but two hours is way too much leeway.

It seems like the right duration should be less than 2 hours. DH and I like to be outside for a max of 90 minutes or so, so in the time it would take pool butlers (according to stated policy on this thread) to clear stuff we could have been in the chairs and back out.

On the other hand, how much are we, as cruisers, really willing to pay for vigilance? Monitoring chairs w/ 20minute precision requires a lot of staff. It seems to me that the system should be not holding chairs for more than 30 mins, and perhaps notifying your neighbors that you are at the pool/buffet/grabbing something from cabin, if you expect your chair to be available upon your return. Plus it might force people to be more considerate of their chair neighbors. :)

Just so you understand,

I was here first and I am entitled…

I am entitled to lie on that lounger

As long as l like, dear, and when I am through

I am entitled to place my cute sun hat

On top of that lounger and head to the loo

And then to the buffet to have lunch with Hector,

I’ll only be gone thirty minutes or so.

I am surely entitled to protect my pool chair

Until I return (within minutes, you know).

Well, it took a bit longer than what I’d intended --

I truly had planned to be back right away.

But I bumped into Hilda; we took a few minutes

To think out our plans for the rest of our day.

So, it’s close to an hour and I haven’t returned, but

Things happen, and people should just understand

That I was there first and am therefore entitled.

I have to go home from this cruise looking tanned!

I am surely entitled to protect my sun chair

From people too lazy to get out of bed.

I got down here early, I marked out the best spot.

You didn’t, and nothing else needs to be said.

So, although it’s two hours since I left my lounger,

I’m back now, and you have to do what is fair,

For this is my sun bed...I chose it, reserved it

It’s clear I was here first. Please GET OUT OF MY CHAIR!

I don’t understand what is wrong with some people.

They know, once I’ve saved it, it’s mine for the day.

It’s sure not my fault the ship hasn’t provided

Enough chairs for others. Please just be on your way.

Just so you know…

I will be back tomorrow, and I will be here early

To lay out my hat, on this chair, in this row.

I don’t want those chair hogs to get to my chair first.

I paid for this cruise, I’m entitled, you know.

I wish everyone the perfect lounger in the perfect spot on their next cruise. :)

Lily

Just so you understand,

I was here first and I am entitled…

I am entitled to lie on that lounger

As long as l like, dear, and when I am through

I am entitled to place my cute sun hat

On top of that lounger and head to the loo

And then to the buffet to have lunch with Hector,

I’ll only be gone thirty minutes or so.

I am surely entitled to protect my pool chair

Until I return (within minutes, you know).

Well, it took a bit longer than what I’d intended --

I truly had planned to be back right away.

But I bumped into Hilda; we took a few minutes

To think out our plans for the rest of our day.

So, it’s close to an hour and I haven’t returned, but

Things happen, and people should just understand

That I was there first and am therefore entitled.

I have to go home from this cruise looking tanned!

I am surely entitled to protect my sun chair

From people too lazy to get out of bed.

I got down here early, I marked out the best spot.

You didn’t, and nothing else needs to be said.

So, although it’s two hours since I left my lounger,

I’m back now, and you have to do what is fair,

For this is my sun bed...I chose it, reserved it

It’s clear I was here first. Please GET OUT OF MY CHAIR!

I don’t understand what is wrong with some people.

They know, once I’ve saved it, it’s mine for the day.

It’s sure not my fault the ship hasn’t provided

Enough chairs for others. Please just be on your way.

Just so you know…

I will be back tomorrow, and I will be here early

To lay out my hat, on this chair, in this row.

I don’t want those chair hogs to get to my chair first.

I paid for this cruise, I’m entitled, you know.

I wish everyone the perfect lounger in the perfect spot on their next cruise. :)

Lily

:p:D

Archived