ugh, $500 price drop after final payment :(

John73

Just looked today at the Celebrity "Exciting Deals" for next Tuesday. They have the 8/15 Solstice sailing for only $879 for AQ and a 175% single supplement. Total price for one would then be $1538.25 + fees. My current booking is $2029 after fees. Too bad I booked after the new price guarantees went in to effect, would have been nice to have that lower price. I do have a $220 OBC already for this trip and I guess I'd probably lose that on the new booking, so that is some comfort. Still though, sucks to miss out on such a big price difference.

As I type this, I realize I have cancel for any reason insurance coverage on the cruise. That provides coverage for 75% of any non-refundable costs. Am I reading the Celebrity Cancellation policy correctly that I'd lose only my deposit if I cancel 30 days in advance? So I'd lose my $250 deposit but my insurance coverage would reimburse me for $187.50. Then I guess I'd really only lose $62.50 for cancelling.

Any guesses as to what the fees would be on the $1538 Western Caribbean itinerary? Trying to see if it's worth the trouble to cancel, file insurance claim, and rebook at the lower rate.

Just looked today at the Celebrity "Exciting Deals" for next Tuesday. They have the 8/15 Solstice sailing for only $879 for AQ and a 175% single supplement. Total price for one would then be $1538.25 + fees. My current booking is $2029 after fees. Too bad I booked after the new price guarantees went in to effect, would have been nice to have that lower price. I do have a $220 OBC already for this trip and I guess I'd probably lose that on the new booking, so that is some comfort. Still though, sucks to miss out on such a big price difference.

As I type this, I realize I have cancel for any reason insurance coverage on the cruise. That provides coverage for 75% of any non-refundable costs. Am I reading the Celebrity Cancellation policy correctly that I'd lose only my deposit if I cancel 30 days in advance? So I'd lose my $250 deposit but my insurance coverage would reimburse me for $187.50. Then I guess I'd really only lose $62.50 for cancelling.

Any guesses as to what the fees would be on the $1538 Western Caribbean itinerary? Trying to see if it's worth the trouble to cancel, file insurance claim, and rebook at the lower rate.

Unless I am mistaken Exciting deals are always "new bookings only" and therefore would not have qualified even under the old policy.

I do not know the answer to your insurance question except that I would really be surprised if what you believe is true is really true.

Well, the good news is that I looked at my current booking more closely and it's price before taxes/fees/pre-paid Grats was only $1680. So the price difference is only $142 and that's more than made up for with the $220 OBC that I got on my original booking. It looked like a bigger difference due to the taxes/port fees/pre-paid grats that were on my existing booking. :o

On the insurance, I did call TravelSafe and they assured me that they would reimburse me for 75% of any non-refundable costs, up to 75% of the limit of my coverage, if I cancelled for any reason. Good to know for future reference.

Yeah, I have to say you could drive yourself crazy trying to finagle and second guess after final payment.

I hate when I buy some fantastic expensive shoes which I LOVE, and wear them once and then realize they went on some kind of fantastic sale. I get so tweaked about that. But hey I have shoes I want when I want and I was happy w/ the price when I bought them. So now I try not to check on the prices of things (cruises etc) once I know the chances of getting my money back would be slim to none if there was to be a price drop. Step AWAY from the computer and don't check any more. It'll give you gray hairs! LOL

after we takeour our three already booked cruises-- we will be suject to the new plan...we will book as late as we can to get the cabin/price we want & then just try not to suffer with pain as the prices drop after final payment!!!

not much else we can do--the ships do not fill , so the prices come down..

Can someone point me to where the "new price guarantee" policy is defined.

IT sounds like this was instituted because of the softness in advanced bookings??

Maybe waiting is the correct norm for now????

I was reading an article in the Travel section of the NY times recently that if you call the largest travel agencies 2-4 weeks before sailing, they get the best DISCOUNT deals from the lines BUT they cannot advertise them by name..

They code the adv's with the term "deals to good to believe" or other non descript terminology.

As the writer said most times that statement is true but if they are on the high volume selling list , they get first shot at the discounted rooms..and you can get a better deal then calling the cruise line directly. Anyone experience this first hand??

The Exciting Deals are for new bookings only - and if you cancel a booking to rebook under the exciting deal - it is not considered a new booking for purpose of the special price so you would not be eligible for that price.

As annoying as these price drops are, I think people should not agonize over them. If the ships do not fill, of course the cruiselines will deep discount the last few weeks to fill the ship for the other revenue passengers bring. Continuing to look at these prices when it is realistically too late to change has only one possible outcome - making you feel bad. So why do it???:o

Plus, often if you need to fly, you can't get the flights you need for the dates you need, costs are higher and you could end up spnding extra nights in a hotel that you don't want to. All wiping out a good portion of the cruise savings.

Archived