Swimsuit with sundress?

Would I be out of place walking around the ship and ports in a swimsuit with a sundress over it? (And shoes of course!) I would think not since all people will see is me walking around in a summer dress. Has anyone done this? I was thinking of wearing this when we embark. If I was in port I would wear a light cotton or microfiber dress so a wet bathing suit under it can dry. (want to make use of the Margaritaville pools!) What do you think?

something like this:

sara-berman-scaloped-sun-dress-by-sara-berman.jpg

It's certainly fine for onboard ship during the day. I also think that would be fine for going to Margaritaville if you're talking about Grand Turk, where you're basically just going from ship right to pool/beach. But I wouldn't ever wear what you pictured around a "real" port town, like St. Thomas or Grand Cayman -- I think it's inappropriate to wear swimwear in public, and it's pretty obvious with that dress in the photo that it's a swimwear coverup. I'd be hesitant to wear it on embarkation day, too. I understand you're eager to get in the pool but put your swimsuit in your carryon and you can change as soon as you get onboard.

So a swim suit with shorts is also acceptable? Good to know. Thank you!

IMO as a "local" :), shorts & a tank or T-shirt are fine. I don't think shorts & a bikini top are appropriate except in the immediate vicinity of the beach. A dress like the one you posted is perfectly fine too. HTH!

it's pretty obvious with that dress in the photo that it's a swimwear coverup.

LOL! That dress is actually not a cover-up. It is a Sara Berman sundress. (Although it looks a little see-through, don't you think?) I don't own it, just did a google search for a sundress for this post.

Your point is well taken...swim suits + cover-ups = not appropriate for town

I'll stick with dresses that I would normally wear out and about at home.

That dress looks like it would be nice to wear over a swimsuit. I live in a coastal town, and I see people dressed like that all the time around town. I think as long as you are wearing something on top and bottom besides just your swimsuit, it is fine. I usually wear a swimsuit with a terry or jersey dress on embarkation day also...I think it's fine and am way beyond caring what others think when it feels ok to me. You should see what some people wear on formal night...eek! :eek:

I don't see a problem with the outfit at all :) I plan on taking MANY dresses. I changed clothes so many times when in the Bahamas last year. It was SO hot that I went through twice as many clothes as I usually would. Wearing a swimsuit and dress is convienient...Especially if you decide to go swimming or something. Walking around hot city streets in the summer can definately get overwhelming!

I think that look is fine on board and for the ports also. especially if you are going to a pool/beach destination or excursion. That's what I (and most people I see) usually wear, especially in the Caribbean (shorts or sundress over bathing suits). And I think it's okay if the dress is a bit see-through, since you are wearign it over a swimsuit.

• 4 weeks later...

What differce does it make? People cant see what your wearing under it anyways unless you show them. If you do, they think you probably have on colored panties. Who cares?..I wear a Kilt and when I go ashore and around the ship. I wear a speedo under it in case I decide to go swimming.

I think you'll be fine wearing that off the ship when you're at port.

I wouldn't wear it boarding the ship, though. You get a few photos taken, including your ID photo. Just pack your swimsuit in your carry-on for boarding the ship.

I see nothing wrong with it for your photos, especially your ID photo which is just your face and which no one sees (except officials who could care less what you are wearing) anyway.

Lots of people wear simillar attire on board and on beach excursions.

I like it.

that is exactly what I wear everyday on a cruise! a bikini with sundress on top. then i shower and change for dinner. sundresses are so easy to travel with, and your wet hiney dries quicker than with shorts!

Not at all! Folks will be wearing all sorts of "cover-ups" over their suits....from shorts and t's, to sundresses, to actual swimsuit covers....not a problem.

Thats all I wear in the daytime, is cover-ups. if we are at sea I wear them when I go to breakfast and lunch and when we are in port I wear them off the ship, some of mine dont even look like cover-ups . I hit all the end of year clearance sales, and I buy my Dh swim trunks that look like cargo shorts so thats al he wears as well during the day

Archived