When is final payment due?

TorontoTL

I just received an email from my TA which states in the title that final payment for my Oct 17th 2010 cruise is due. I always thought that final payment was due 75 days prior to sailing? This request is outside of even 90 days? Is she mistaken or is the jetlag from being in Austria right now getting to me?:confused:

It's generally about two months prior to the cruise, but it's typical for TA's to require final payment a couple weeks earlier to make sure they have everything taken care of prior to the cruiselines' final payment date. So, 75 days seems about right. My cruise leaving January 15th has a final payment date of November 1st. Ninety days seems a little long...

I have found that TA's will "pad" the final payment date just in case there might be a problem. It's kinda like your paying a car payment a couple of weeks early just in case.... I'm currently involved with a credit card co. who I sent in an electronic payment; they then submitted the wrong account # to my bank; now they want to charge me a $39 late fee because of their error. These are the kind of things that can happen.

Have you checked My Princess. It will show that deposit has been made and when final payment is due. If there is a discrepancy call the agent

If booked through a travel agent I don't remember ever seeing a final payment date listed on Princess.com (it's likely that I missed it if it is there). However, I would expect that there would be a difference between the date that might appear there and the final payment date that the travel agent has provided. The first would be when Princess requires final payment, the second would be when the TA has set the cut off. These dates are pretty much always going to be different.

Typically:

cruise length.............

5 days or less ................... 60 days

non-holiday 6-29 days ........ 75 days

Holiday up to 29 days ........ 90 days

30 days+ including world cruise & segments ..... 120 days

However, your TA may want payment a few days early (mine does) so that all the payments can be processed.

I would advise to make sure Princess is processing your payment and not the TA.

Have you checked My Princess. It will show that deposit has been made and when final payment is due. If there is a discrepancy call the agent

Princess.com does not show any payment info if you booked thru a TA

Princess.com does not show any payment info if you booked thru a TA

Nice to know that I'm not completely losing my mind. I couldn't remember ever seeing payment info for the cruises I booked through a TA, only the ones that were booked direct.

I've always had the charge show up as being directly from the cruise line, even when I've booked through a TA. We seldom book before the final payment date, so we're always paying in full the day we book. The exception was last March's cruise, which I booked a few days before the final payment date--but I told the TA to go ahead and have Princess charge me the balance due. I knew it would not make any difference as to when it would appear on my charge card statement.

I generally don't mind paying earlier than necessary, but I'm in Europe for two weeks and the day she is requesting the monies is my travel day home. I am wary of sending info such as my VISA number over the internet using wifi from somewhere other than my home, that is all. I'd prefer to wait until I get home, but by the time that happens her office will be closed for the day and I would be late on payment if the 27th as she requested is the final payment date for Princess which it doesn't seem that it would be for an Oct 17th cruise.

Thanks for your helpful replies.

Nice to know that I'm not completely losing my mind. I couldn't remember ever seeing payment info for the cruises I booked through a TA, only the ones that were booked direct.

I don't know that my statement is proof that you are not losing your mind. :)

TA's terms can be very different from Princess direct (example: 90 days prior instead of 75, cancellation fees, etc). Sure the TA wants time to verify funds but there's also a little thing called cash flow & short term deposits. If booking throught a TA you best verify with Princess that payment has been received on the Princess final payment date also. And yes I know there are good & bad TA's. If I sound cynical it's because a major TA in my area went under just before Xmas last year and left many high & dry. Caveat emptor. :eek:

When I was a TA we always added 10 days to the final payment date.

Believe me, needed those extra days to track down those that forgot to

mail/call in their final and are out of town or something.:cool:

A few were going to cancel their cruise (had not notified us yet :mad:). Sould we have waited until the real final payment date, they could have ended up with a cruise line penalty missing it by a day.:rolleyes:

I emailed the TA and she has replied. I am OK with paying her earlier than 75 days and will call her during office hours the day after I arrive home. She is OK with that. Works for me.

Archived