Holiday Inn Port of Miami

CA27

The hotel is on the older side but it is located right near Bayside and close to the bridge that takes you over to the Miami Cruise Ship Terminal. The Intercontinental is a much nicer hotel but the price will be higher.

Keith

Please feel free to run a search on this board; this hotel has been discussed here many, many times. You can use the "Search this forum" function on the main page, about 1/2 way on the right hand side. The Search does work and it works well; you'll pull up more threads and more opinions about this hotel than you were expecting. :)

Thanks for the replies, even those that fall on the snarky side. ;)

The only snark was yours.

People are pretty much split on the HIPOM between those of us who think it is an over priced dump and those who love the hotel.

For almost the same price, you can get the five star Intercontinental Hotel on www.LastMinuteTravel.com.

Thanks for the replies, even those that fall on the snarky side. ;)

Was that for me? Sorry you felt that way. Politely mentioning the wonderful Search function (which I have used countless times - it's awesome) was snarky? I thought I was helping you. Goodness. :(

My "snarky" comment was meant as sarcasm, in a fun & harmless manner, but I ended up being snarky myself. Sometimes things don't come across they way you mean when you have to type them, as opposed to speaking face to face. I wasn't trying to offend anyone.

I did try the search function, and also checked TripAdvisor. I just wanted to get more current input from fellow cruisers that frequent this board.

Thanks everyone. :)

The hotel is over priced because of the location to the pier and Bayside for cruisers. And cruisers, especially new to Miami, will pay $$$ for the convenience. A lot of us have stayed there once and now choose other hotels when in the area.

I wouldn't call it a dump. Just something that doesn't really line up with the cost.

I stayed there once also. Was not a member here then so I just asked my son who went to school in N. Miami, what hotel was close to POM. Yes it is a bit outdated and "kinda" dumpy, but I only paid $99, so I didn't think it was over priced at that time! I know now there are plenty of other options!

We stayed there last year. There was a group of us. I was actually upgraded to a suite at no additional charge. The suite was on the top floor overlooking the port. I got up early and watched our ship come into port. It was amazing! We used the pool and the buffet breakfast was really good in the morning. There is an additional charge for the breakfast but it was part of our upgrade we received.

We stayed there 1 night precruise last January. I got 3 rooms on Hotwire for $89. We loved being across the street from Bayside. Ate supper and breakfast the next morning (Bubba Gumps and American ? restaurants.) We loved waking up in the morning and looking out to see our ship.

The hotel itself is older but was nice and the rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. We enjoyed our 1 night stay and would definately book it again if we could get a good price.

We've stayed at HI-POM, but wouldn't pay more than say $120. The DW likes to just take it easy after a day of traveling with two little one. It's like one stop shopping.

We prefer the Int'l and if it can be had for under $150, we'll stay there even if HI-POM is a little less.

The Hyatt Regency is nice, very comfy beds. Not our top choice, but can be had on a bidding site for $69.

If we were staying more than one night, we'd choose the beach. The Bayside area is easy after a day of traveling.

We have a whole routine. Check in, check out the pool, walk over to Bayside for dinner, stop at CVS for drinks for the night, wake up, have breakfast across the street, walk over to the AMEX travel center for travelers checks(yes, I know, I know), stop off at CVS for some last minute items and then pack up and take a taxi to port.

The Latin American restaurant with the outdoor seating and bayview has breakfast. I Think they open at 7am, maybe 8am. Great coffee, very reasonable.

On the weekends, the Mambo grill/cafe has a buffet breakfast with made to order omelettes. ABout $10pp. There is also a Pub type place with breakfast. Up in the food court, there's more fast food type breakfast.

The hotels also offer breakfast buffets. If you're staying at HI-POM, sign up for their HI rewards/loyalty program and you will get a $10 coupon for breakfast and a chance to be upgraded to a suite.

The Hyatt's breakfast buffet is like $25 pp

I don't remember what INT'L charges.

Pros:

Close to port

Decent hotel

Allowed five in a room (we have three kids)

Easy walk to Bayside Marketplace

Con:

The morning our cruise departed we could not get an elevator down because they were all filled with other cruises and tons of suitcases. We missed our scheduled taxi (another fellow cruiser took it!) because we literally couldn't get down to the lobby. After twenty minutes I was able to squeeze in with my youngest and my husband took the other two kids and hauled heavy suitcases down four flights of stairs to get out of the hotel. Not a nightmare I want to repeat although we laugh about it now!

Archived