Upgrades?

I'm a Diamond with 20 cruise credits and I've never been upgraded. New program that started June 1 is supposed to start upgrades with the person with the most credits. Upgrades- inside to oceanview; oceanview to balcony; balcony to JS; JS to Suite.

We just had our first upgrade ever, from balcony to JS in June on the Enchantment! This was our 21st cruise with RC and we have been Diamond plus for over a year. We were very excited!

Sherri:)

Most upgrades are only over one category OV to Balcony, Balcony to JS etc.

It is good that Royal have now stated how the upgrade system should work, so if you are D+ with many cruise credits you might have a chance, if not enjoy your cruise anyway.

We've been upgraded twice (Both as D+):

8/2008 - SOV (D1) to GS with 29 cruise credits:D

12/2010 - SOV (D1) to JS with 35 cruise credits (2nd half of a B2B) :)

Neither was expected but both were sure appreciated!

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens in the future now that RCL have put in black & white their policy regarding upgrades - i.e. D+ and then D to be upgraded.

Since they always announce, at the Welcome Back party, who has the most cruise credits on any sailing then by definition that person/couple should have been offered the chance of an upgrade - unless they're already staying in the best suite ;)

As more and more people discuss whether they've been upgraded under the new regs (at Meet & Mingle and welcome back parties) we might get a better idea of whether they are actually putting this into practice.

I got up graded from a inside cabin to a out side cabin on the Brilliance last year what a surprise. But as full as all ships are now days, I doubt that it will happen again. I just said this in another post, people are traveling again in spite of the mediocre economy.

First of all, I recomend that you always book the room you want to begin with and then if you don't get an upgrade, you won't be dissapointed.

Second, they usually start out offering the upgrades to the passengers with the most cruise credits and work their way back from there. We have found that many people turn down upgrades for many reasons. We have actually turned them down several times because we were traveling with family members and didn't want to stay in the room next door so we could open up the balcony door.

Good luck with getting an upgrade and remember that good things come to those who wait. ;)

It's going to be really interesting to see what happens in the future now that RCL have put in black & white their policy regarding upgrades - i.e. D+ and then D to be upgraded.

Since they always announce, at the Welcome Back party, who has the most cruise credits on any sailing then by definition that person/couple should have been offered the chance of an upgrade - unless they're already staying in the best suite ;)

As more and more people discuss whether they've been upgraded under the new regs (at Meet & Mingle and welcome back parties) we might get a better idea of whether they are actually putting this into practice.

When you talk about staying in the "best" suite, which is the Royal Suite, I doubt that many D+ with well over 100 credits will ever see the RS as an upgrade. Here is why.

Aside from the fact that RCCL has said that 5 or more cabins of that class need to be open for an upgrade.....and there is only one RS...the fact that the cruise line makes a ton of money off of Bingoing it off. So, if it's open, on the 2nd day, there will be a bingo event to let someone that has the best bingo card........win the RS. I have seen this happen on more than one occasion.

We have been upgraded from our booking a JS to an OS on several occasions, but we have known that the suites would not be booked, and we have enough D+ points to earn the suite. That was last year on the Mariner of the Seas. Since then, no upgrades. We know it, and book the suite that we want. On our upcoming cruises, we have both OS's and GS's booked, as the suites now are once again selling out.

For those D+ members that have not have had the opportunity to experience an upgrade.......they now start at about 75 cruise credits. However, even at 100 cruise credits....it's not a guaranteed upgrade.:rolleyes:

Rick

We were visited by the upgrade fairy quite unexpectedly on our Alaska cruise in Sep08. Three or four days before the cruise our TA called and said that we had been upgraded from JS to GS. I had booked the cruise 18 months earlier specifically so I could have the port side for the southbound cruise. So I told the TA that was good news as long as we're still on the left side. She checked and found they had moved us to starboard. I asked her to call them back and get our original cabin back. She and DW thought I was crazy. Unfortunately, they had already upgraded somebody else into our JS and we were "stuck" with the GS. In hindsight, I ended up being happy with the upgrade.

At the time of this upgrade, we were only Gold, which is why I was so surprised by it. I understand that doesn't happen often, especially after reading some of the posts here. It probably happened because it was the next to last cruise of that season and the ship wasn't that full.

Can anyone tell me if they have been upgraded from SOV to JS? If so, what tier are you in C&A...

Thanks!

chris

It depends which week in December you are sailing on the Monarch. In the first two weeks of December, interest in cruising is at low ebb, because of the timing between Thanksgiving and Christmas. If bookings for your cruise are light, you may have a shot at a JS. Keep checking to see how many remain unbooked.

It also depends, of course, if lots of local Florida D+ cruisers hop on your cruise. If so, you may be S.O.L.

Good luck. :)

Good luck. Diamond Plus here with ZERO RCI upgrades. Have taken a total of 62 cruises (not just RCI) and have been upgraded on Princess and Costa (with only 1 Costa cruise).

Again...... Good Luck with UG on RCI

What chance of an upgrade from a Royal Family Suite? I am sailing with 4 friends all celebrating our 50th birthdays

Since you are already sailing in a suite, it is doubtful that RCCL would move you. What would you consider an upgrade from the RFS??

Rick

Doesn't the new D/D+ upgrade policy also mention A) date reservation was made and B) amount paid as contributing factors in their decision about who upgrades are offered to? If so, it could still be almost impossible to predict who will get upgraded and why. :rolleyes:

Archived