Jewel - Nickelodeon No happy

So my husband & I booked our October, 2010 cruise on the Jewel back in December 2009 - as a late (and great) honeymoon. (we got married Feb. 2009). I researched, spoke to NCL agents several times, even paid for my cruise in full... No one mentioned anything about Nickelodeon being on my boat.

Does anyone know how insane & kid crazy this is?

I surely don't want to be eating dinner & have Spongebob & Dora come skipping into the dining room or restaurant when I'm trying to have a week away from my children.

The agent at NCL told me that it wasn't like a Disney cruise, that characters weren't all over the ship. That the Nickelodeon 'events' were in "designated kid zones".

Please let me know - if you've gone on this cruise & experienced this - Do I need to consider changing my honeymoon to a different boat because mine has had a hostile take over by those who live in a Pineapple under the sea??

HELP!!!:mad::confused:

So my husband & I booked our October, 2010 cruise on the Jewel back in December 2009 - as a late (and great) honeymoon. (we got married Feb. 2009). I researched, spoke to NCL agents several times, even paid for my cruise in full... No one mentioned anything about Nickelodeon being on my boat.

I surely don't want to be eating dinner & have Spongebob & Dora come skipping into the dining room or restaurant when I'm trying to have a week away from my children.

The agent at NCL told me that it wasn't like a Disney cruise, that characters weren't all over the ship. That the Nickelodeon 'events' were in "designated kid zones".

Please let me know - if you've gone on this cruise & experienced this - Do I need to consider changing my honeymoon to a different boat because mine has had a hostile take over by those who live in a Pineapple under the sea??

Is Nickelodeon and NEW feature on the Jewel? We were on her in March with no sign of anything related to Nickelodeon.

Remember you are going in October, school will be in session. You shouldn't have too many kids on your cruise to begin with. I was on the Carnival Legend a few years ago I think there was maybe 10 kids under 10 on board. They were no problem. Preteens are the worst. You might see a parade in the pool area but above that not much more. If kids on board bother you you might want to change to an adult only cruise line to guarantee no kids.

HTH-

Melissa

We were on the Jewel in May. There were over 300 kids onboard. I was shocked. Don't they have school? It was a Nicklodean event as well.

We never saw them in any dining room. I was actually surprised how little we did see them. The biggest thing to me, which really wasn't a huge deal, was that the adults only and everyone pool are right next to each other. There is a gazebo thing on deck by the pools. Some Nick events were going on there. The kids would all sit on the deck, waving thier hands and squeal to be chosen to play a slime game. It wasn't too bad. If you are a pool person and want to sit in a lounge near the pool, it may not be much fun.

A couple of the smaller clubs/bars had kids dancing at the dance floors in a group/kids club kind of thing a few times.

We never saw Dora or Sponge Bob or any characters.

I think NCL does a great job of keeping kids entertained. Truthfully, I think, something like the Nick event keeps them with the kids club instead of running unsupervised all over the place.

Just my opinion.

Have a great honeymoon! The Jewel is beautiful.

Don't change ship....I was on in April and I have 3 little ones and if I didn't seek out the Nick events, I wouldn't really have known they were around except maybe Nick Live one afternoon around the pool area but that didn't seem to last longer than 45 mins....

Book the GV and you really will never see them ; )

I agree with previous posters. Just got off the Jewel in prime family vacation time and really didn't see much of the Nick thing. I would guess in October you will see even less. Many schools are out in early May, but almost all are in session in October.

Robin

I was OK till I read the statements in Red...now I'm :confused:

First of all - I wanted to say - have a FANTASTIC honeymoon - whenever you go, and whatever line you go on!!

Secondly, I have to say NCL should think twice before making a remark like that about the Disney Cruise Line. As an adult (who also enjoys her fair share of characters, now and then, if I know to expect them, unlike you in this case unfortunately), the Disney Cruise I went on had a LOT of "adults only" aeas, and they were pretty much enforced. I did not see characters "all over the place", and my travel buddies and I - who pretty much stayed to "the adult areas" marveled at how well Disney can control and enforce the "adults only" areas - and you don't even really notice they are, if that makes any sense. So NCL should not make disparaging remarks about a competing line's way of doing things wihtout much more knowledge!

So my husband & I booked our October, 2010 cruise on the Jewel back in December 2009 -

October is a great time to cruise...:)

Kids are in school so very few will be on your sailing...don't sweat it, you'll have a great time :D

Shark- the way I read the OP was that when they originally booked their cruise there was no mention that the Jewel was a Nick cruise. Perhaps the Nick thing was added later... Then, when the OP found out about Jewel/Nick on CC they called NCL and were then told Nick was not a big deal... Makes logical sense to me.

Shark- the way I read the OP was that when they originally booked their cruise there was no mention that the Jewel was a Nick cruise. Perhaps the Nick thing was added later... Then, when the OP found out about Jewel/Nick on CC they called NCL and were then told Nick was not a big deal... Makes logical sense to me.

True. You can make almost anything sound logical if you're allowed to introduce new "facts" that were never originally presented.

I could also surmise that the OP was actually speaking of two completely different cruises. It makes logical sense if you consider it that way as well.

I just got off the Jewel this Saturday. Like you I had hesitations...don't give it a second thought! You will not know they are there -- other than the pool shows, which are fun to watch and a half hour long. I am tutoring this summer, and will have to report to my students that I did not see SpongeBob at all.

Remember you are going in October, school will be in session. You shouldn't have too many kids on your cruise to begin with. I was on the Carnival Legend a few years ago I think there was maybe 10 kids under 10 on board. They were no problem. Preteens are the worst. You might see a parade in the pool area but above that not much more. If kids on board bother you you might want to change to an adult only cruise line to guarantee no kids.

HTH-

Melissa

Not familiar with any.....at least not out of the US.:confused:

October is a great time to cruise...:)

Kids are in school so very few will be on your sailing...don't sweat it, you'll have a great time :D

agreed. and even in the middle of summer, it's not like the ship is overrun with "characters".

unless you're looking for them, you'll likely not run into them except in the obvious kid-centric places.

enjoy your cruise and don't fret Mr. Squarepants! :)

just a couple of things for you to ponder: Oct, isn't a heavy kids travel time. Yes, some will have a fall break, but we aren't talking Thanksgiving, Christmas or Spring break time. 2-depending when in Oct, you might already be past the cancellation period and 3-when you booked NCL had not added the program. Even if they have, do you think an agent is going to say, "oh, by the way did you know there will be a lot of kids on the cruise?" If there was an AARP convention would you expect the booking agent to inform you in advance about how many seniors would be sailing?

I don't think you need to worry. This is your honeymoon, congratulations, you will have a wonderful time. As for what the agent said about Disney, I don't think she meant it the way it sounds.

Nita

Nita

Archived