HAL limiting singles even paying full dbl fare>

nchank

I just saw this in the Celebrity forum

"At least X is not taking HAL's route. HAL is now limiting the number of single cabins they will sell, even if you are paying 200%! Now THAT'S discrimination!!":eek:

Is this true?

We've heard this before & don't know if it is true or not..

However if it is true, believe it's because HAL does not make a profit on cabins..You're paying double for you cabin makes no difference..BTW, I don't think HAL charges double fares for singles...I think singles pay a discounted fare on HAL which may only be 150% of the fare for two..Doesn't Celebrity charge double?

They only make a profit on your on-board expenses & they know that most singles will not spend as much as two people would on shore excursions, cocktails, gift shop etc...

Hal's profit only comes from the extras we spend on board..

I understand your point, but It's really not discriminatory it's good business... In order to keep fares at the same level they have been for years they probably limit the number of singles on each ship..Cabin Fares have not increased at the same rate of inflation as most other things, including drinks & shore excursions..

Can you imagine what would happen if a singles club of 50 or 60 decided to book all individual cabins..There goes the profit for that cruise..

Hope you find a cruise that you can go on..

Cheers.....:)Betty

I think singles pay a discounted fare on HAL which may only be 150% of the fare for two

I wanted to get on a cruise this last spring, and I could have booked at 200%, fairly last-minute. 150% was not available. 150% WAS available on my upcoming Alaska cruise, which I booked in April, I think. NOT last-minute. :)

It may be that HAL limits the # of 150% pax they permit on each sailing. I know that they offer 150% only on the lower-end cabins. Can't get a balcony at 150%.

Actually I am looking at Silversea which does offer substantial discounts for singles on selected cruises (along with included air and truly all inclusive (booze, wine, tips and so on). . I suspect that when all the costs on HAL for specialty dining, wine and liquor, tips the cost is not that much greater. I will see.

I wanted to get on a cruise this last spring, and I could have booked at 200%, fairly last-minute. 150% was not available. 150% WAS available on my upcoming Alaska cruise, which I booked in April, I think. NOT last-minute. :)

It may be that HAL limits the # of 150% pax they permit on each sailing. I know that they offer 150% only on the lower-end cabins. Can't get a balcony at 150%.

Oh OK...Understand that they are only limiting the 150% fares..That's reasonable..Don't they also have a share program?

cheers.....:)Betty

Oh OK...Understand that they are only limiting the 150% fares..That's reasonable..Don't they also have a share program?

cheers.....:)Betty

I think they do, but I'm the one who won't share soap -- can't imagine sharing a cabin :D though I signed up for it once when I was much younger and less set in my ways :)

Carnival Cruises stopped the 150% singles rate for the lowest 1A category on thier ships in April and my Carnival personal vacation planner said not to be surprised if you see changes on their other cruise lines re pricing for singles. Look out Hal singles and solos! The singles and solos on Carnival have been complaining for weeks over there on their chat boards. And they were only getting a break on the lowly 1As, not several other categories like Hal.

I do not buy the argument that singles don't spend as much as couples onboard. Believe me I know a lot of duos and couples who spend the bare minimum on a ship, like tips. No tours, no drinks, no nothing. Yet I know a huge number of singles who buy shorex, spa treaments, hair dos, drinks, steakhouse reservations, gifts, clothing etc etc and they tip well knowing that the stewards are getting less with one in a room. But those stewards also make up for it with rooms booking 3 and 4 people.

I've paid 200% on both of my solo HAL cruises....location of cabin is the reason. :D Regarding the share program: yes, HAL has that but I can't imagine doing it in my wildest dreams. You might as well just grab a complete stranger off the street and share a room with them. :eek: The risks far outweigh the benefit of saving a few bucks.

It seems to me that it might be a good idea to find out where the poster got the information. I posted to the thread and asked for the source. The poster who reported that is someone who I've found generally reliable about other things, so I am looking forward to hearing from her rather than speculate.

It appears that the post mentioned by the OP was based on this blog entry.

She said she saw it on the Celebrity forum!

She may also have tried to book with HAL..

However, this also was reported a couple of months ago on the HAL forum, but can't remember where...

Maybe Ruth C, will know as she cruises as lot as a single..

In the meantime I'll try to do a search to see where it was last reported..

Betty

<snip>

I do not buy the argument that singles don't spend as much as couples onboard. Believe me I know a lot of duos and couples who spend the bare minimum on a ship, like tips. No tours, no drinks, no nothing. Yet I know a huge number of singles who buy shorex, spa treaments, hair dos, drinks, steakhouse reservations, gifts, clothing etc etc and they tip well knowing that the stewards are getting less with one in a room. But those stewards also make up for it with rooms booking 3 and 4 people.

Understand, but I actually did not consider what the stewards are paid in extra tips although that's a factor too....Hal can only charge a single $11 a day, not $22 as they would with a couple..However if a Steward has 13 single cabins to make up daily as opposed to 13 doubles it stand to reasson that HAL's tip deduction will be half..

Do you actually believe that singles add another $11 per day in extra tips for their stewards in addition to their extra tips? I also know of many couples who buy shorex, pinnacle res, drinks etc & normally tip extra...We purchase drinks, pinnacle res, gifts & give add tips too..I also know many singles who don't tip extra except for the basic tip added to their bills.....In addition if , the steward does not make his minimum in guaranteed tips HAL is obliged to supplement that according to the contract..

And I believe overall that HAL will make much more profit on the extras from the doubles & triples cabins than they will on the Single cabins...It stands to reason that if they have 50 singles cabins booked, they will make less overall than if they have 50 doubles booked for a single cruise..

There are more singles travelling than ever before.. When I first joined the travel field, eons ago, :eek: most singles found someone to travel with...It's not so now..I never went to Europe, except on business, on my own...It just wasn't done in those days..More singles are branching out on their own now than ever before....That's great! But that is why I believe that limiting the number of single cabins is good business for HAL..You can be sure that Carnival & HAL has the figures to back up their reasoning for all these changes..

JMO...Betty

Everyone assumes that just because Corporate America changes a policy, it makes good business sense. Enron, Arthur Andersen, Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Countrywide Mortgage, etc. Need I say more?

I've met couples on my solo cruises that contributed virtually nothing to the bottom line - they didn't drink, gamble, play bingo, buy photos, purchase shorex, etc.

I keep my cabin neat and am not demanding on the DR staff, and I tip them extra at the end of the week.

I've noticed that it's easiest for me to get the 150% fare on inside and outside cabins if I book early, so it wouldn't surprise me if HAL limits the number of solo cabin dwellers as the cruise books up.

Roz

...« I've met couples on my solo cruises that contributed virtually nothing to the bottom line - they didn't drink, gamble, play bingo, buy photos, purchase shorex, etc.»... «I keep my cabin neat and am not demanding on the DR staff, and I tip them extra at the end of the week.»...

Same for me Roz ! I agree 100% with you ! I also eat and drink for one..! Less food, less dishes, you know...

...«I also know many singles who don't tip extra except for the basic tip added to their bills...»

This is not because I travel solo that I am going to be cheap with the employees, I don't understand serendipity statement here... :confused:

Holacanada will be on Niew Amsterdam in 59 days, 14 hours, 30 minutes and 56 seconds

Everyone assumes that just because Corporate America changes a policy, it makes good business sense. Enron, Arthur Andersen, Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Countrywide Mortgage, etc. Need I say more?

I've met couples on my solo cruises that contributed virtually nothing to the bottom line - they didn't drink, gamble, play bingo, buy photos, purchase shorex, etc.

I keep my cabin neat and am not demanding on the DR staff, and I tip them extra at the end of the week.

I've noticed that it's easiest for me to get the 150% fare on inside and outside cabins if I book early, so it wouldn't surprise me if HAL limits the number of solo cabin dwellers as the cruise books up.

Roz

I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't know why some people always have to defend the cruise line no matter what. Many times I'm the biggest spender at my table at dinner. The couples seem to spend a lot less. Also, I'm another one that will not share a cabin with a stranger. It gets tiresome to be treated by some folks on this board like singles have 2 heads and green skin because we choose or like to travel alone.

However, this also was reported a couple of months ago on the HAL forum, but can't remember where...

Maybe Ruth C, will know as she cruises as lot as a single..

I'm sorry that I don't know much on this topic. I do cruise alone most all the time, but I also book well in advance, so I always qualify for a single supplement. If those are being limited, I have no first-hand knowledge of it.

However, the first time I can't book a cruise, or have to pay 200% for an inside cabin, you will all hear about it on this board! That's a promise!

And, may I point out to all you couples traveling together. Take a good look at each other. The day will come when at least one of you will be a single. Would you still like the opportunity to travel then?

Think about it.

I'm sorry that I don't know much on this topic. I do cruise alone most all the time, but I also book well in advance, so I always qualify for a single supplement. If those are being limited, I have no first-hand knowledge of it.

However, the first time I can't book a cruise, or have to pay 200% for an inside cabin, you will all hear about it on this board! That's a promise!

And, may I point out to all you couples traveling together. Take a good look at each other. The day will come when at least one of you will be a single. Would you still like the opportunity to travel then?

Think about it.

Great response Ruth! Take a look at the Bermuda cruises. I looked into one next year and I couldn't find one that charged less then 200%. I have to say I didn't look at every single one. I just looked at the ones that would fit within my deadlines at work.

it does make sense to limit the number of cabins sold at 150%.

if somebody insisted on going - even paying 200% - they could always book using a friend's name, who then wouldn't materlize at boarding. what could they do? there's more than one way to skin a cat.

it does make sense to limit the number of cabins sold at 150%.

if somebody insisted at going - even paying 200% - they could always book using a friend's name, who then wouldn't materlize at boarding. what could they do? there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I agree....I don't think you would want the whole ship to be singles but to say that singles don't spend is just wrong.

Do you actually believe that singles add another $11 per day in extra tips for their stewards in addition to their extra tips?

JMO...Betty

As a solo traveller I am aware that the cabin steward will only receive the service charge for one occupant of my cabin. I always provide an additional $11 per day in cash to cover their loss. When I travel on my own and to purchase more HAL shore excursions to meet fellow passengers.

One part of the debate on single fares that rarely gets mentioned, is the fact that with only one person travelling, the Cruise Line is saving half of the cost of meals.

This fact alone, should always be taken into account when people are debating what profits are made by the Cruise Lines when there is only one passenger in stead of two.

I certainly would hate to see the limitation of the sale of cabins to solo travelers. It is stretching my travel budget to pay 150%....200% would be out of the question.

HAL does not offer the single share program on Grand Voyages.....though I am not sure I would try it for a long voyage like that.

I know I am safe well into 2012.....I have booked as a single for Jan 2011, Sept 2011 and March 2012..................after that I may have to live on the streets....and I know they offer single sidewalks there!

It's discrimination, it's always been discrimination. I am looking for people to join a cloass action suit against cruise lines, tour operators, hotels who do not provide services to singles at the same rate as doubles (or no more than a 50% surcharge).......

Archived