odd hours for our Athens day

cruise kitty

Hi, we will be in Athens from 10am to 8pm oct 27th, 2011 we will either share a cab into athens or take the green line into athens; planning on visiting the Acropolis, Roman Forum, Hadrians Arch , Temple of Olympian Zeus, & the New Acropolis Museum. (changing of guard if time permits) All of these sites look to be within walking distance of one another. Has anyone taken the funicular up to Lykavittos Hill for the sunset? Is it in walking distance?? Is there a bar to have a cocktail there at the end of the day? Or would you recommend heading back to Piraeus & seeing sunset from there with cocktail before returning to ship? Are we leaving out anything important? Any advice appreciated, thank you.

You might consider a visit to the Acropolis at the end of the day rather than the beginning. Rick Steves recommends that time as being about the most uncrowded (other than the first hour they are open, which is not possible for you). I know I'd love to see a sunset on the Acropolis, and am hopng to do that on one of the days I'm in Athens in September; although actual sunset might be slightly after closing time.

Now, if only they'd open a bar up there -- something along the lines of "Herakles' Hideaway" -- we'd be all set.

Hi, we will be in Athens from 10am to 8pm oct 27th, 2011 we will either share a cab into athens or take the green line into athens; planning on visiting the Acropolis, Roman Forum, Hadrians Arch , Temple of Olympian Zeus, & the New Acropolis Museum. (changing of guard if time permits) All of these sites look to be within walking distance of one another. Has anyone taken the funicular up to Lykavittos Hill for the sunset? Is it in walking distance?? Is there a bar to have a cocktail there at the end of the day? Or would you recommend heading back to Piraeus & seeing sunset from there with cocktail before returning to ship? Are we leaving out anything important? Any advice appreciated, thank you.

I can tell you two things about Lykavittos Hill even though we have not been there. First it is not within walking distance of the other places and there is a restaurant atop the hill.

Be careful with your planning so as not to be disappointed. You only have about 6 hours to get everything done. You can do it all except Lykavittos Hill in that time.

Start with the Evzones and then go to Hadrians Arch and the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Next stop should be the New Acropolis Museum and then the Acropolis, with an ending in the ancient Agora. That will end you up at Souvlaki Row where you can grab a light meal before heading back to the ship.

(You could leave the Evzones for last but that only takes about 10 minutes, and by doing them first you don't have to walk back up the hill. Either way the rest of the itinerary stays the same.)

Thanks so much for all the tips, I had planned on the Acropolis first, looks like I should rethink that... sunset will be around 6:30, looks like we should plan on viewing it from somewhere very close to our ship...going to look into Piraeus bars & restaurants... thanks again:)

You also want to give yourself time to get to the ship from the pier. The area is quite large where the ships dock. Sometimes you are located closer to the street and other times not.

It is an easy city to walk around to visit the sites you have mentioned.

Keith

Archived