Thanksgiving Cruises

Has anyone on here ever done one of these?

We're torn between a 4 day to Mexico on Navigator OTS that leaves ON Thanksgiving or a cruise in December.

What's the crowd like ?

Is there a special Thanksgiving menu?

Yes, sailed over Thanksgiving onboard NV a few years ago on a 5 or 6 night cruise. It was mostly families and yes, there was a special dinner in the MDR - your typical meal (turkey, cranberries, stuffing, etc.), as well as other options on the menu if you do not wish to have turkey.

I quite enjoyed not having to cook and clean for 10+ hours!

Sailed the Freedom over last Thanksgiving and LOVED it! I would love to make it our new Thanksgiving tradition :D No slaving over a hot stove & dirty dishes for hours (while everyone else watches football!) DH and I had the traditional turkey dinner in the dining room while my kids were able to get what they wanted (they aren't fans of turkey) Best Thanksgiving ever IMHO. There were tons of kids/extended family groups on board, so if you want to avoid kids, this may not be the right time to cruise.

We sailed on the Radience about 4 or 5 years ago on Thanksgiving. It was a different experience but nice to not have to be working on dinner all day. I missed watching the parades that day. We were in St.Marteen that day and people in the shops wished us a Happy Thanksgiving every time we entered or bought something. It was nice to be able to have different food too. I had the thanksgiving sides and a steak instead of turkey. I did miss the traditional home cooked things that we always have (like my grandmothers potato filling) but we made them a few weeks later when we got home :)

Has anyone on here ever done one of these?

We're torn between a 4 day to Mexico on Navigator OTS that leaves ON Thanksgiving or a cruise in December.

What's the crowd like ?

Is there a special Thanksgiving menu?

We will be doing a Thanksgiving cruise this year on the Explorer.Thanks for that info,we were going to ask the same question.

We LOVE to cruise around Thanksgiving Week. I think it is the BEST time of the year to be in the Caribbean. Especially Western or Southern Iteneraries.

Once you are south of Cuba, the temperatures are mid 80's to low 90's, and the water temp is 78 to 80 (perfect for snorkel or scuba);)

As for the crowds, the longer the cruise you book, the fewer "youngsters" and the smaller the crowds. If you notice my signature history, we have started cruising 11 to 13 day cruises that time of year. They are GREAT!

The Dining Room always plans a menue that includes a choice for Turkey and Dressing, but few order that when they see Prime Rib, Rack of Lamb, or Chicken Marsala as the other choices. :p

Hope This Helps.

I am so happy to hear so many of you enjoyed cruising over Thanksgiving. This is the first year we will be doing it and are planning on it again for 2011. For us it was a matter of timing for DH with work, and also the kids with school. But the thought of not having to cook and clean is ideal :D Also after cruising in the summer months, I am looking foward to "cooler" cruise.

I am sure that I too will end up coming home and cooking some of our traditional favorites, and will probably miss the left overs, but I dont think we will notice too much as we will be on the OASIS!!

We've done Thanksgiving cruises twice. There were lots of families, but the feeling has been festive, rather than spring-breakish.

I find it a nice break to get away before the holiday craziness begins. Plus, watching the parade on TV while in shorts in the Caribbean is always fun. ;)

We took our family on a cruise over Thanksgiving and had a great time.

The reason we picked the date was to avoid Thanksgiving dinner with my new stepmother. She had insulted my family during our first Thanksgiving dinner together the year before, so we made sure we had other plans during the next one.....and every one since!

You'll have a blast.

We sailed on the Grandeur last year and it was great -14 day cruise so not many families, just older folks. Turkey was definately not like what you would serve at your table. And, if you are leaving ON Thanksgiving, chances are they will not be servind dinner anyway. Enjoy

Archived