honduras: Worst shore excursion EVER??

So you’ve booked a cruise to Honduras, huh? So, you think it’s going to be an earthly paradise?

Just be glad you weren’t among some of the first people to sail to this part of the world!

If you’re interested in the history of this region, there’s no better read than “The Land That Never Was: Sir Gregor Macgregor and the Most Audacious Fraud in History.”

http://www.amazon.com/Land-That-Never-Was-Macgregor/dp/0306814110

This book tells the story of the first settlers on the Bay of Honduras and their being hoodwinked into emigrating there, only to find themselves stranded by Sir Gregor and his scheme. (He also captured Amelia Island, Florida under contract to the U.S. government!)

It’s an easy read, that’s both enlightening and entertaining.

There’s more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poyais

Enjoy your shore excursions!

No point, really.

Just trying to pique the interest of anyone who might be interested in finding out more about the history of the region.

Sorry that I've failed so utterly. :(

I felt the same way about Roatan . .. I was on one of the first ships to stop there as a port - about 8 years ago. They were sooooooo not ready for tourists - It was a depressing experience. I think things are better now, but boy they were not ready for a few thousand people to come.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. We were there in Feb 09 and March 2010 and used Victor Bodden and had Franikie both times and had a wonderful time and really got to see alot and snorkeled by the shipwrecks and he took us to were all the locals go to the beach. I would condsider going and staying there for a few days.

I must have missed something......how can being on a tropical island, gorgeous turqouise blue water, fine white sand beaches ever be "depressing" ???? Even if they didnt have the infrastructure in place for that many tourists...... it still had the above items just waiting for ya' !

Seems some need the shops, restaurants, tourist traps etc.... without the poverty to feel it is "much better now"....... It is actually sad that soon the only place you will have the quiet real island experience is at one of the private islands that the cruiselines "create" which is not the REAL island experience anyway....... I call it the Disney syndrome.

Bazzito: you did not "fail" Your post was very clear on your intent...... I think someone didnt read your post correctly ? Or just got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning :D

I must have missed something......how can being on a tropical island, gorgeous turqouise blue water, fine white sand beaches ever be "depressing" ???? Even if they didnt have the infrastructure in place for that many tourists...... it still had the above items just waiting for ya' !

Seems some need the shops, restaurants, tourist traps etc.... without the poverty to feel it is "much better now"....... It is actually sad that soon the only place you will have the quiet real island experience is at one of the private islands that the cruiselines "create" which is not the REAL island experience anyway....... I call it the Disney syndrome.

It was depressing (again this was quite a while ago) because we couldn't get to the beach very easily - The roads were in terrible shape. The people were lined up on the dock begging for clothing and food. There were not very many excursions available - and it was difficult to get around on your own. I don't need glitter and touristy shops, but at the time, it didn't feel safe. That is what I meant by "things are better now".

Bazzito: you did not "fail" Your post was very clear on your intent...... I think someone didnt read your post correctly ? Or just got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning :D

My honeymoon in the Dominican Republic was depressing. I wanted to cry seeing all the poverty, the starving children, and the dilapidated housing. We got to the resort and all it's extravagances, and I just felt guilty for being there the whole week.

The disparity between wealthy tourists and impoverished locals is eye opening if you aren't expecting it.

Archived