Home ill after cruise

mrc1225

My husband returned from a 12-day Mediterranean cruise late Monday night and has been home in bed for the past two days, sick with nausea and headache. Has anyone else ever experienced this and is there something he can do for it?

I cam home from a 7-day cruise with bronchitis and missed two more weeks of work. Sounds like he just picked up a bug but I agree with the above poster. Have him see a doctor just in case he needs antibiotics.

Hope we feels better.

Pack thousands of people onto a cruise ship, pack hundreds onto aluminum tubes called airplanes and a certain percentage are going to catch colds, flu, bronchitus, pneumonia, and any number of other illnesses.

Seek diagnosis and treatment from your medical professionals.

Hope he feels better soon.

Years ago, like 25 years ago, we often got sick after a cruise. One time we were in the Carribean and we went to medical unit because my husband had a welt on his arm, from a bite from an insect. While waiting to see the doctor I was surprised to see how many passengers came down to see the doctor who had colds and other common health issues.

I starting thinking what might be contributing factors, i.e. air condition, laying under air condition sleeping a night, using public restrooms, etc.

So on following cruises we started to "turn on the heat" to the lowest setting on the cabin room thermosate before going to bed each night and we refrain from using public restrooms as much as possible. We also wash our hands all the time. Interestingly, these behavior changes have reduced the number times we get ill after a trip by at least 90%.

We have also learned to pace ourselves on cruises, so we are not as warn out after our trip, that may help as well. We have done about 7 Mediterranean cruises over the years and know how easy it is to get exhausted if you don't pace yourself. Once we got off a ship Barcelona, checked into the Arts Hotel and slept for two days after a 12 night cruise from Istanbul. Obviously we did not pace our self well that trip.

My husband returned from a 12-day Mediterranean cruise late Monday night and has been home in bed for the past two days, sick with nausea and headache. Has anyone else ever experienced this and is there something he can do for it?
A possible welcome to the world of Norovirus! That is what it sounds like, but I'm no Doc.

We returned from a Baltic cruise in June and my wife was ill for approximately half the cruise with the same symptoms you describe. In fact, our ship had approximately 250 passengers and 30 crew members affected. It's just one of those things to be wary of whenever you have people crammed together for extended periods of time, be it on a cruise ship, in an airplane, or on a tour bus.

The good news is that he will eventually feel better. The bad news is that he needs to see a Dr. and get some treatment. That will probably shorten the recuperation time.

Good luck.

The symptoms of norovirus illness usually include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people also have a low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people the illness is self-limiting, with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, diarrhea is more common in children and vomiting is more common in adults.

Pack thousands of people onto a cruise ship, pack hundreds onto aluminum tubes called airplanes and a certain percentage are going to catch colds, flu, bronchitus, pneumonia, and any number of other illnesses.

Seek diagnosis and treatment from your medical professionals.

Hope he feels better soon.

Exactly.

DH missed an excursion in Ketchikan on our last cruise because he woke up with bronchitis. I ended up with the last day of the cruise. It happens. Close quarters and someone will catch something. :(

Archived