? about Millie Aft/Staircase

RealDeal

Oh, I actually never knew they might come in the hallway!

Unless you leave the door unlocked, nobody can come in the hallway. Since that door is so remote from the cabin, it is nice that there is a doorbell (visible in the photo) for the cabin steward to use.

(For any first-time passenger in 7202 reading this who may be concerned, I just want to add that there is an additional locking interior door between the hallway and the cabin itself so even when maintenance men are working in the hallway, you still have a locked door between you and them.)
From what I remember, the inner door does not lock. :confused:

I can't remember if the inner door locked. I don't remember there being a doorbell either. When we were waiting for room service, we would open the both doors so steward could just come in and he would just call out from the hallway. Especially with dinner being delivered, it is very heavy so he doesn't need to be knocking, etc.

The corner you saw this morning, unless there was another.

Luckily, we were able to reach our TA shortly after they opened.

I can't even believe it....I couldn't reach my TA...kept getting VM. Did you get it around 10:30/10:40 EST?

The inner door locks (as fleckle mentioned in an earlier post). Here is a photo of Infinity FV 8166 where the inner door is swung open into the cabin and the card key slot is visible in the left side of the photograph:

7575.jpg

Yeah, the door bells are on all the FV cabins as you can see them in the first photo. Did you notice the distress call button inside the FV?

The inner door locks (as fleckle mentioned in an earlier post). Here is a photo of Infinity FV 8166 where the inner door is swung open into the cabin and the card key slot is visible in the left side of the photograph:
The key slot's there, and the deadbolt's on the inside, but neither one actually does anything. (I base this on 14 nights in a corner FV on Connie last year.)

mferranti--Ok. I haven't been on Constellation.....

My recollection was that we were able to lock our inner FV door on Millie (12 nt) and Infinity (7 nt). We were able to use the key slot as well. Our kids kept messing with it.

Hey, it gives me something to look at next week!

The key slot's there, and the deadbolt's on the inside, but neither one actually does anything. (I base this on 14 nights in a corner FV on Connie last year.)

We once also got one where the door lock did not work, but we reported it and they sent someone up to fix it immediately. We would have felt very uncomfortable going off and leaving our things there with the cabin door unlocked.

I could not imagine leaving the cabin door unlocked for 14 days and nights, merely relying on the outer hallway door, knowing that electricians, plumbers and other maintenance crew members go in and out of that hallway.

We really didn't much care whether or not the outer door to the hallway was locked since we did not store anything in the hallway. I know that some people also keep the outer door locked at all times because they store suitcases in the hallway, but we put ours under the bed.

In fact, we would sometimes leave the outer hallway door propped open if we were only stepping out for a short time, but we definitely wanted the inner door to the cabin locked whenever we were not there.

We once also got one where the door lock did not work, but we reported it and they sent someone up to fix it immediately. We would have felt very uncomfortable going off and leaving our things there with the cabin door unlocked.

I could not imagine leaving the cabin door unlocked for 14 days and nights, merely relying on the outer hallway door, knowing that electricians, plumbers and other maintenance crew members go in and out of that hallway.

We really didn't much care whether or not the outer door to the hallway was locked since we did not store anything in the hallway. I know that some people also keep the outer door locked at all times because they store suitcases in the hallway, but we put ours under the bed.

In fact, we would sometimes leave the outer hallway door propped open if we were only stepping out for a short time, but we definitely wanted the inner door to the cabin locked whenever we were not there.

Good to know. I'll check again in Sept.

Of course, any crew members who can unlock the hallway door can open the inner one just as easily. :confused:

.......Of course, any crew members who can unlock the hallway door can open the inner one just as easily. :confused:
We were told that the stateroom attendant or assistant chief housekeeper is the one who unlocks the outer door to admit the workers to the hallway when maintenance is required.

In that case, a locked inner cabin door makes the difference between maintenance crew having access only to the hallway or having access to your cabin as well.

Even if the maintenance workers can use their own keys to open the hallway door, they would be unlikely to jeopardize their jobs by unlocking a locked inner cabin door that they have no legitimate reason to enter,

It would be important to keep the interior door locked either way.

If the maintenance workers do have keys that can unlock the inner door as easily as the outer one, then it is certainly necessary to have that inner door lock working correctly so that it records whenever someone enters the cabin.

Yesterday when asking about my cabin 7178. I was told that on the last day there is lots of noise in the aft area produced by the luggage pick-up. Also, the posting said that guests are not to use the stairwell or the aft elevators as these are for service personnel use only. One must use the center elevators or the forward. That seems a little harsh to see elevators so close and have to use others further away. Especially for the ones really at the far aft...The OP posting said she had 7178 also...

What you were told is incorrect. The luggage neither on the first day nor last uses those elevators. There is a freight elevator, not shown on the map, that is somewhere in that white area between cabins 7182 and 7200, and yes you might hear the workers if your cabin happens to be right outside the freight elevator, but if not it's not really noisy on the last night. We always stay aft (really aft) and once we put our bags out we have never even heard them pick them up.

Thank you for your speedy reply. It is good to know that it should be mostly quiet in that area...so you are saying that guests can use the aft elevators/stairs we see on the deckplans? I think the post I was referring to was perhaps some years back...perhaps the aft elevators were added when ship was refurbished. I kind of doubted that info a little as why would there not be an aft elevator for passengers. Made no sense. Thanks again for the info...Happy cruising!

Yes, you can use the aft elevators/stairway anytime you want. Now, sometimes, on the FIRST day, they have the guest cabins restricted until a certain time, and the big doors will be closed restricting your access to the hallway/cabins, but I've only seen that happen once (our recent cruise out of Bayonne, as a matter of fact). Usually whatever time we board we can just go drop our carry-ons in our cabin and then get out of the room stewards way so he can finish getting the cabins ready.

Maybe that's what your friend was referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

mferranti,

for what it is worth, I am in FV 8166 on Summit right now and the inner door's deadbolt is operational but the key slot does not work......

Archived