AA not honoring international connection baggage allowage

Lvtocruize2

It isn't a partnership issue. I am flying Air canada to China and then home from Singapore. My Singapore to Hong Kong leg on the way home is on a code share flight operated by United. Both airlines are part of the Star Alliance. Right on the Air Canada web site it specifically states that although my United flight has a Air Canada number it is a code share and the operating airlines (United) baggage rules apply for this leg of the trip. We are flying business class. AC allows 3 pieces of checked baggage in business. United allows 2. I already know I will be paying excess bagage charges in Singapore. Also AC allows each piece to weigh 70 lbs. United out of Singapore is 66 lbs total weight including carry on. I will be paying.

Check this again-United should be 2 suitcases, 70 pounds each in business class out of SIN TO THE USA/Canada.

The 66 pound weight limit (total weight including carryon) is ONLY for a SEPARATELY booked INTRA ASIA flight. Now, if that is the way the ticket was booked-Canada to China, then home from Hong Kong, with a SEPARATE United ticket for the short flight from SIN to HKG, yes, you are stuck with 66 pounds. BUT if it is a through ticket, with merely a connection in HKG to either United or Air Canada, the 2 bag, 70 pounds each UA weight limit should apply.

The OP is going to have to change terminals at ORD anyhow AND reclear security. Most likely a T-3 to T-5 change.

IF you made enough stink, knew the jargon and were persistent enough, OF COURSE the luggage may be checked through. And of course, the luggage may be checked through and NEVER leave DFW on the same flight. IF the flight is full and approaching maximum weight, these are the bags that the baggage handlers will leave off if they need to cut weight. They are tagged through to SAS, NOT terminating in Chicago (as the flight is). There are three more DFW/ORD flights that arrive ORD BEFORE the SAS flight departs.

Personally, with the way these tickets are booked, I would MUCH PREFER to see my luggage arrive at ORD and recheck it onto SAS myself. $10-20.00 to a porter at baggage claim solves the problem of schlepping luggage yourself between terminals. OP is flying business or first (can't tell from the fare codes), so can use the quick check in and security lines at ORD. And the porters are very, very good about going to the front of the line and almost demanding attention immediately. They want to get on about their business and not waste time.

Still trying to figure out if the G and the Z posted by the OP represent the fare class. And curiouser and curiouser how you get G and Z tickets from the cruise line??? Isn't Z the class Star * uses for miles upgrades? I don't fly Star and have little knowledge about the program. But according to the UA website, Z is partner and UA fare class for upgrades.

OP-according to the current schedule, your flight now leaves at 9:25 instead of 9:15 and arrives at 11:40.

Z is a very common reduced business class fare. I think every carrier out there uses it. I have booked tickets in Z class, and no, not consolidator tickets, but direct bookings in Z, with UA, US, SQ, TG, etc. I believe Delta uses I, but I don't book that much of them to be sure.

G class is another fare bucket class, usually in coach. Again, not necessarily a consolidator ticket, but another fare basis.

Z is a very common reduced business class fare. I think every carrier out there uses it. I have booked tickets in Z class, and no, not consolidator tickets, but direct bookings in Z, with UA, US, SQ, TG, etc. I believe Delta uses I, but I don't book that much of them to be sure.

Again, as I pointed out, this is a Star * fare class. You booked Z tickets on Star * carriers. I know very little about Star * or their fare classes, as I posted. The OP's entire booking is CRUISE AIR and the discussion is not about consolidator class tickets. It is about luggage and how this ticket was booked.

G class is another fare bucket class, usually in coach. Again, not necessarily a consolidator ticket, but another fare basis.

G on AA is a government contracted fare class. There are actually two government fare divisions in G-YCA and -CA. -CA translates more directly into G and is much more frequently used. It is an upgraded domestic ticket, fully refundable but restricted in amount of tickets that can be sold per flight. So you can't load up the press or conference attendees on -CA fares as they are restricted to XXX on each plane.

Sorry I could not give you guys any more definite info on my airline booking. All the air travel was booked thru Regent cruise line. I have yet to receive my actual tickets so I have no idea as to how they are processed. The info I received was from Regent's web site regarding our airline schedule. Our airline schedule:

Thu Aug 26 American Airlines AA 2332 Dallas/Ft. Worth 9:15 AM G

Thu Aug 26 American Airlines AA 2332 Chicago, Il 11:25 AM G

Thu Aug 26 Sas Scandinavian Airlines SK 0946 Chicago, Il 4:25 PM Z

Fri Aug 27 Sas Scandinavian Airlines SK 0946 Stockholm, Sweden 7:45 AM Z

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 0041 London Heathrow, Uk 2:25 PM I

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 0041 Minneapolis, Mn 5:25 PM I

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 5736 Minneapolis, Mn 7:15 PM F

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 5736 Dallas/Ft. Worth 9:47 PM F

I realize this does not help you answer my dilemma but when I receive the actual tickets, I will post them. As to fare costs, I don't ever remember seeing them on any airline ticket we've purchased. Regent does say on their web site that they do have contract prices with certain airlines.

BTW, my TA is with an agency with probably 5 other agents. She was not involved in the travelers connecting to an international air carrier who had to pay extra charges for AA baggage at DFW. Her comment was that within their agency, this has happened at least 3 to 4 times this summer and AA didn't give an inch.

Thanks for all your opinions and I am encouraged by the info from IATA rules which my husband and I have investigated.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Anything I can print off to show the ticket agent, etc.?

Patty

This is just one more reason not to book cruise air.

This is just one more reason not to book cruise air.

Check other threads, where it is repeatedly suggested to book Aer Lingus to/from Europe in combination with another airline within the US. Very similar situation.

There are very good reasons to not book cruise air. But having two separate tickets on two separate airline alliance carriers (as per this thread) is not one of them. I do this very thing on a somewhat regular basis and never have had a problem with having my luggage checked through (which I greatly prefer for ease). I always pack a change or two of clothes in my carry on and I never pack valuables in my checked luggage. So if it comes later than me, it can be to my advantage - the airline will deliver it to my hotel/home/etc. :). I have had luggage within the same airline and alliance not arrive with me. I have never had luggage checked between alliances go missing. Go figure.

Check other threads, where it is repeatedly suggested to book Aer Lingus to/from Europe in combination with another airline within the US. Very similar situation.

You generally have to retrieve and move your luggage. Maybe YOU personally can get luggage through checked on separate tickets, but the average cruiser will NOT be able to get it done on non Alliance, non interline flights. As posted previously, they know little about IATA, know little about interline rules. And what is recommended often is a ticket for an AerLingus departure or arrival point, particularly for a one way ticket, with a connecting US airline to or from home. Why are you trying to confuse everyone???

I know most of these rules well (particularly interline rules, as the same rules that apply to baggage apply to freight). I still PREFER to SEE my luggage arrive at a US connection IF booked on two separate tickets (as the OP's ticket is). When I book two separate tickets (or even what appears to be a connecting ticket but in reality is NOT-how many cruisers are willing to read the fine print of ALL the fare rules and can really get the TOTAL fare construction-not many, I will bet), that $10-20 I pay to a porter to schelpp luggage from terminal to terminal, airline to airline, is darn cheap insurance my luggage arrives when I do.

Myself and 14 employees who fly regularly to trade shows, conventions, other events worldwide use this method all the time. We haven't had lost/misplaced luggage since DH and I took a US Air flight out of PHL 3 years ago. I haven't even lost any freight or had it "go bad" in the last 14 months since I have been using the "two step" method to check in freight. Planes are over full, maximum weight loads are often achieved BEFORE all bags/freight are loaded. Those to a foreign destination, on a non Alliance carrier are left behind to "catch up"-next flight out This is the nature of the game. Costs a lot less to deliver someone's bags to a Chicago destination via courier (per the OP's flight) than to leave $1000 worth of freight behind. Pure business math, plain and simple.

Costs a lot less to deliver someone's bags to a Chicago destination via courier (per the OP's flight) than to leave $1000 worth of freight behind. Pure business math, plain and simple.

And so the airline expects to send the luggage to a Chicago destination and the passenger is in Europe. Great idea!!

And not to mention flight delays, so a short connection, sometimes hardly enough time to even collect the luggage, not to mention file a lost baggage application and go through security again. And in many airports, if luggage was checked through to final destination, you stay behind security. By claiming luggage, you must go to the public area and then go through the whole security routine!? Now THAT is confusing.

It seems clear that this is a board with many opinions. You have yours, I have mine. Others can decide what they want to do. I know what I will do is ignore further posts on this thread :) If that means you "win" so be it.

And so the airline expects to send the luggage to a Chicago destination and the passenger is in Europe. Great idea!!

As posted previously, there are 3, if not 4 AA flights from DFW to ORD that arrive ORD BEFORE the SAS flight leaves.

As posted, IF the weight is maxed out on a flight, the airline will put it on the next flight out to meet the SAS flight (assuming AA checks it through to SAS). There is even airline cargo service (VERY high dollar) called "next flight out". Luggage and other cargo gets bumped for that service-about $25-30 per pound for "next flight out" One suitcase at 50#=$1250-1500.00 in cargo revenue. I can sure deliver it next day for $100.00 and make myself a chunk of change.

The pax has NO IDEA if the luggage is on the SAS flight until they arrive Europe. This is the way it is. AND it is much cheaper to deliver a Chicago area person's luggage who departed ORD than to put it on the same flight if there is more valuable freight. That also is THE WAY IT IS!!! $100 delivery charge for "misplaced luggage" vs $1000 in freight charges-which would you choose if you owned the business? I DO own the business and I certainly know which one I would choose.

You don't have a clue where your luggage is until YOU (generic YOU) arrive Europe. Your luggage may or may NOT be there.

These are not opinions. This is 30 years of experience shipping freight and people around the world-both extremely time critical freight (military/nuke plants during outage/disaster situations), normal freight (3-5 day delivery), people going to conferences, trade shows (we are "event planners" for a lot of worldwide food trade shows) and all the interaction that I have have with "those in the know" who work for AA. Just hope the OP's luggage reaches Sweden if they follow your path with AA. I personally WOULD NOT take the chance.

Archived