AA not honoring international connection baggage allowage

Lvtocruize2

I have made 2 phone calls to AA regarding our airline connections regarding connections to an international flight to Stockholm. I was told that AA honors the baggage requirements for the connecting flight. Therefore not charging us extra baggage/weight fees. We leave from DFW on AA to Ohare where, on the same day, we board SAS to Stockholm. My TA told me today that AA IS charging the extra baggage/weight fee and their agency has encountered this problem several times this month, even tho' it is illegal. I asked her if an email from AA stating this policy would do any good and she said no! 4 of their tours this summer have encountered this same problem and the poor travelers have to pay for the extra weight and bag allowance.

Does anyone have any ideas as what I can do to alleviate this problem and has anybody encountered the same thing??

I have made 2 phone calls to AA regarding our airline connections regarding connections to an international flight to Stockholm. I was told that AA honors the baggage requirements for the connecting flight. Therefore not charging us extra baggage/weight fees. We leave from DFW on AA to Ohare where, on the same day, we board SAS to Stockholm. My TA told me today that AA IS charging the extra baggage/weight fee and their agency has encountered this problem several times this month, even tho' it is illegal. I asked her if an email from AA stating this policy would do any good and she said no! 4 of their tours this summer have encountered this same problem and the poor travelers have to pay for the extra weight and bag allowance.

Does anyone have any ideas as what I can do to alleviate this problem and has anybody encountered the same thing??

Yes, AA will charge you. While it might be ticketed on the same reservation, AA and SK are not partners, hence AA will not recognize the SK connection for the purposes of luggage allowance. Had it been UA/SK you would have been fine

I agree, this doesn't surprise me whatsoever. And there is nothing you can do about it I am afraid. The only time we have found the fee waived is when we fly on the same airlines or a partner airline, no partner means you pay the fees. Enjoy your cruise!

I agree, this doesn't surprise me whatsoever. And there is nothing you can do about it I am afraid. The only time we have found the fee waived is when we fly on the same airlines or a partner airline, no partner means you pay the fees. Enjoy your cruise!

Kinda surprising the OP's TA wasn't aware of how this works.

Not really. Many "cruise" TAs have absolutely NO CLUE about air travel or airline related questions. But then, that's sorta like asking your proctologist for details on your heart condition. Ain't specialization great??

OP is basically using cruise-line air service through Regent so it's not clear if the flight from Dallas to Chicago (DFW-ORD) is part of that package or a separate ticket entirely. If both legs were on AA or an AA partner there would be no baggage fee (business class) but since it is separate airlines normal domestic baggage fees and limts will apply.

Of course the other option is to cancel the AA flight and book WN from Love Field in Dallas. No baggage fees, but you will have to pick up your bags and get them to the SAS counter to re-check.

Sorry folks, but you KNEW it was coming anyway! :D

Of course the other option is to cancel the AA flight and book WN from Love Field in Dallas. No baggage fees, but you will have to pick up your bags and get them to the SAS counter to re-check.

Sorry folks, but you KNEW it was coming anyway! :D

Plus get from Midway Airport (to where Southwest flies) to O'Hare. And pay a cancellation fee to AA. If AA swears they will honor the allowances-- and you told them you'd be switching to SAS, right?-- ask where you can see it in writing. Tell them what your TA said.

Kind of surprising that the TA organized at least 4 tours this summer and subjected customers to additional charges. It is just too darn easy for some TA's to hit the "add air" key when they book reservations.

OP-as everyone has posted, your TA did you no favors by booking the air this way. You will get hit with the normal AA baggage fees. AND as PennyAgain pointed out, AA is very strict and the charges are fairly expensive for bags over 50 pounds. You will have to either pay extra to take 70 pound bags on AA or forget 20 pounds of the SAS business class international baggage allowance.

Yes, AA will charge you. While it might be ticketed on the same reservation, AA and SK are not partners, hence AA will not recognize the SK connection for the purposes of luggage allowance.
I'm not sure that I understand this.

If the two flights are written on the same ticket and written as a connection (X), don't IATA rules mean that the higher allowance (SK J class) applies for the whole journey? As I understand it, this rule applies irrespective of alliances or partnerships, which tend to introduce additional concessions to the basic rule.

If the two flights are written on the same ticket and written as a connection (X)

There's the rub....does the OP have a copy of the e-ticket WITH the fare construction? My bet is the answer is no, and thus no way to research.

My suggestion...call the TA and ask to have the e-ticket e-mailed to the OP, WITH the fare construction. And if the TA says "Huh?", we've learned something for future bookings (don't get air from him).

If the two flights are written on the same ticket and written as a connection (X), don't IATA rules mean that the higher allowance (SK J class) applies for the whole journey? As I understand it, this rule applies irrespective of alliances or partnerships, which tend to introduce additional concessions to the basic rule.

That is what I was thinking too. Alliances have nothing to do with it, it is basic IATA-rules. The question is: is it an official connex ticket? I agree with Flyer Talker to have a long look at the ticket and/or the fare base.

That is what I was thinking too. Alliances have nothing to do with it, it is basic IATA-rules. The question is: is it an official connex ticket? I agree with Flyer Talker to have a long look at the ticket and/or the fare base.

If this truly is a cruise air ticket provided by Regent as spongerob posted, this ticket was put together by the land/sea dept in pieces. US departure point to US connection point, then a separate ticket on SAS to Europe. That scenario is generally the way cruise lines bid their contracts because of all the various departure points in the US to get to JFK/ORD/MIA where onward tickets could go to Europe, Hawaii or South America as well as Florida. In other words, those DFW/ORD tickets work for a LOT of cruises, NOT just ones going to Europe. Remember my example of taking the ticket "off the shelf"??? I surmise this is exactly what happened. Regent needed to get pax to ORD for the already contracted SAS flights to Sweden.

AA doesn't have good connections into Northern Europe EXCEPT with BA. And cruise lines do not particularly buy BA tickets for US departing passengers due to the price-BA does not bend over backwards with heavy, heavy discounts to get cruise line contracts for those departing the USA.

I am not so sure what IATA rules apply anymore with all the luggage fees and different weight/piece concepts with luggage. I have been digging to find more info (like a legal document) that backs this new project. http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pages/2010-06-08-01.aspx. Haven't found anything yet.

Alliances have nothing to do with baggage acceptance but IATA carriers, which the majority of carriers belong to, do. If the ticket reads DFW-NYC-Europe or anywhere else internationally for that matter, you check in with the the first carrier, in this case, American, and they WILL check the bags all the way through to the final destination and follow international baggage rules. If the AA agent said otherwise, THEY were the ones that were wrong.

I've been in the travel business for 35 years plus with lots and lots of airline ticketing and airline experience. I have clients ALL THE TIME who travel begins on a domestic leg on one airline and they travel internationally on another airline. THe luggage is checked in under international rules ALL THE WAY THROUGH and the luggage does not have to be claimed and rechecked.

I was told that your luggage allowance rules when taking connections is whatever the 1st flight allows. So for example I'll be flying Continental EWR to LIS and then Spanair from LIS to Venice. Continental will govern my luggage. On the way home I'm flying TAP from BCN to LIS and then Continental from LIS to EWR so TAP governs my luggage allowance.

Of course, this is what I was told by Continental and TAP. Who knows what I'd be told from another party. :D

I was told that your luggage allowance rules when taking connections is whatever the 1st flight allows. So for example I'll be flying Continental EWR to LIS and then Spanair from LIS to Venice. Continental will govern my luggage. On the way home I'm flying TAP from BCN to LIS and then Continental from LIS to EWR so TAP governs my luggage allowance.

Note that "connection" has a very specific meaning in the airline industry. It does NOT just mean that you are changing flights somewhere in your journey. It also involves the construction of the fare basis for the tickets themselves.

It is entirely possible that what you view as one "ticket" is actually comprised of two (or more) separate e-tickets - with them both being distinct and separate entities. It is by examining the fare construction that you can determine just what your "ticket" consists of. Unfortunately, the e-tickets many receive are dumbed-down versions that make this type of knowledge less than apparent. Greatam nailed it with the cruiseair example.

Of course the OP didn't give enough info to make an informed guess. Vague questions get vague answers....GIGO.

As to your statement....there are a number of cases where this is not true. For example, if you are taking an Alaska Airlines flight that connects to an international flight on a different airline, you can get the luggage allowance of the international flight and not pay the AS baggage fees or be subject to their piece/weight rules. So it is not always the first carrier's limits that apply - you can easily have exceptions due to agreements between carriers.

Note that "connection" has a very specific meaning in the airline industry. It does NOT just mean that you are changing flights somewhere in your journey. It also involves the construction of the fare basis for the tickets themselves.

It is entirely possible that what you view as one "ticket" is actually comprised of two (or more) separate e-tickets - with them both being distinct and separate entities. It is by examining the fare construction that you can determine just what your "ticket" consists of. Unfortunately, the e-tickets many receive are dumbed-down versions that make this type of knowledge less than apparent. Greatam nailed it with the cruiseair example.

Of course the OP didn't give enough info to make an informed guess. Vague questions get vague answers....GIGO.

As to your statement....there are a number of cases where this is not true. For example, if you are taking an Alaska Airlines flight that connects to an international flight on a different airline, you can get the luggage allowance of the international flight and not pay the AS baggage fees or be subject to their piece/weight rules. So it is not always the first carrier's limits that apply - you can easily have exceptions due to agreements between carriers.

Lots of exceptions, even with your first example. I had three tickets, three airlines, two alliances, and the first airline checked my luggage through to my final destination. Since all three airlines had "interline" agreements, the first airline checked the luggage through to my final destination. I was only flying within N. America with the first airline, connecting to Europe, then connecting within Europe. Technically one is only allowed 20 kilos of luggage for many flights within Europe. But when one can have the first airline check the luggage through, rules can be different. Similar to what you mentioned for AS to international flights on other airlines.

Best suggestion? Arrive at the airport at least 2 hours early, be polite but persistent.

Sorry I could not give you guys any more definite info on my airline booking. All the air travel was booked thru Regent cruise line. I have yet to receive my actual tickets so I have no idea as to how they are processed. The info I received was from Regent's web site regarding our airline schedule. Our airline schedule:

Thu Aug 26 American Airlines AA 2332 Dallas/Ft. Worth 9:15 AM G

Thu Aug 26 American Airlines AA 2332 Chicago, Il 11:25 AM G

Thu Aug 26 Sas Scandinavian Airlines SK 0946 Chicago, Il 4:25 PM Z

Fri Aug 27 Sas Scandinavian Airlines SK 0946 Stockholm, Sweden 7:45 AM Z

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 0041 London Heathrow, Uk 2:25 PM I

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 0041 Minneapolis, Mn 5:25 PM I

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 5736 Minneapolis, Mn 7:15 PM F

Thu Sep 09 Delta Air Lines DL 5736 Dallas/Ft. Worth 9:47 PM F

I realize this does not help you answer my dilemma but when I receive the actual tickets, I will post them. As to fare costs, I don't ever remember seeing them on any airline ticket we've purchased. Regent does say on their web site that they do have contract prices with certain airlines.

BTW, my TA is with an agency with probably 5 other agents. She was not involved in the travelers connecting to an international air carrier who had to pay extra charges for AA baggage at DFW. Her comment was that within their agency, this has happened at least 3 to 4 times this summer and AA didn't give an inch.

Thanks for all your opinions and I am encouraged by the info from IATA rules which my husband and I have investigated.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Anything I can print off to show the ticket agent, etc.?

Patty

Sorry I could not give you guys any more definite info on my airline booking. All the air travel was booked thru Regent cruise line. I have yet to receive my actual tickets so I have no idea as to how they are processed. The info I received was from Regent's web site regarding our airline schedule. Our airline schedule:

I realize this does not help you answer my dilemma but when I receive the actual tickets, I will post them. As to fare costs, I don't ever remember seeing them on any airline ticket we've purchased. Regent does say on their web site that they do have contract prices with certain airlines.

BTW, my TA is with an agency with probably 5 other agents. She was not involved in the travelers connecting to an international air carrier who had to pay extra charges for AA baggage at DFW. Her comment was that within their agency, this has happened at least 3 to 4 times this summer and AA didn't give an inch.

Thanks for all your opinions and I am encouraged by the info from IATA rules which my husband and I have investigated.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Anything I can print off to show the ticket agent, etc.?

Patty

The tickets were booked in totally separate pieces by the cruise line. They most likely contracted for XXX tickets on SAS to service their Northern Europe cruises. They had made LARGE purchases (MANY, MANY more than for the Northern Europe cruises) for DFW/ORD, JFK/ORD, LAX/ORD, etc., etc. to funnel people to Chicago for all kinds of cruises-NOT specifically yours. They merely put the pieces together. I would not be surprised if you had to pay luggage charges for your AA portion of the flight. IATA rules will not apply in any way shape or form (I would be very surprised if they did).

These tickets are contracted by the cruise lines a year or more in advance (generally long before airline schedules are released). They are not purchased SPECIFICALLY for you. These tickets are sitting "on the shelf". When a pax books cruise air, the land/sea dept of the cruise line merely thinks-"I need to get pax YYY to Sweden. How do I do it with what tickets I have AVAILABLE to the dept?" And they put the pieces together.

Obviously, no one in the TA's office has much understanding of how cruise air tickets are put together.

Patty

The tickets were booked in totally separate pieces by the cruise line. They most likely contracted for XXX tickets on SAS to service their Northern Europe cruises. They had made LARGE purchases (MANY, MANY more than for the Northern Europe cruises) for DFW/ORD, JFK/ORD, LAX/ORD, etc., etc. to funnel people to Chicago for all kinds of cruises-NOT specifically yours. They merely put the pieces together. I would not be surprised if you had to pay luggage charges for your AA portion of the flight. IATA rules will not apply in any way shape or form (I would be very surprised if they did).

These tickets are contracted by the cruise lines a year or more in advance (generally long before airline schedules are released). They are not purchased SPECIFICALLY for you. These tickets are sitting "on the shelf". When a pax books cruise air, the land/sea dept of the cruise line merely thinks-"I need to get pax YYY to Sweden. How do I do it with what tickets I have AVAILABLE to the dept?" And they put the pieces together.

IF the G by your AA flight in your post represents fare class, these are generally contracted government fares. They are most likely -CA fares, which are fully refundable, government CONTRACTED fares that are basically the government's version of a Yup/Kup fare (full fare economy with an automatic upgrade to first/business). Evidently, the cruise lines are allowed to buy tickets at the government contracted price.

Obviously, no one in your TA's office has much understanding of how cruise air tickets are put together. As Flyertalker always posts, there are many, many great cruise TA's. There are very few great cruise TA's who know much about air and specifically about the underpinnings of cruise air. You will never see the complete fare construction on this type of ticket as they are sold on unpublished/contracted fares and they are truly done in individual pieces. Sorry, but I would be very, very surprised if you can check your luggage through.

It isn't a partnership issue. I am flying Air canada to China and then home from Singapore. My Singapore to Hong Kong leg on the way home is on a code share flight operated by United. Both airlines are part of the Star Alliance. Right on the Air Canada web site it specifically states that although my United flight has a Air Canada number it is a code share and the operating airlines (United) baggage rules apply for this leg of the trip. We are flying business class. AC allows 3 pieces of checked baggage in business. United allows 2. I already know I will be paying excess bagage charges in Singapore. Also AC allows each piece to weigh 70 lbs. United out of Singapore is 66 lbs total weight including carry on. I will be paying.

Archived