Bathing suit??

karenvit

If there is a covered pool you can be sure to be able to use it. Plus there are the hot tubs, the sauna and maybe the steamroom if there one. And going out of Vancouver in August there will be a sea day going out, and and sea day coming in (if you are round-trip) that should be pleasant enough for a swim, so I would say yes! Enjoy!

About shorts? I wouldn't bother, but that's just me. I'm usually quite comfortable in light slacks unless it's the tropics.

I now have a pair of "convertible" pants that have pant legs that can be zipped off if necessary to make into shorts. Although that may not be in your plans for now you may want to consider them for future purchase, for just such a question. Enjoy!

The pool on the Sapphire as well as the hot tub ( of course ) were heated and we saw many people swimming in both the covered and the open pool. It's a seperate question as to if the weather will be warm or overcast and drizzling.

I didn't bring shorts, but we were luck early in July that in Juneau and Skagway it was shorts weather, YMMV. I'd say you be better off bringing long pants and one convertible pair of pants for the warm weather.

Good luck,

Is it warm enough to swin on the Island Princess going to Alaska in August? What about shorts--we leave from Vancouver--thanks.

Karen

We are also going to Alaska in Aug. This will be my families third trip in Aug (2007 & 2008) and we wore shorts or capris most of the time. Several of us sunburnt in Juneau. We swam all the time and watched the sun come up from the hot tub. We always pack to dress in layers so we can peel off layers as the day warms up on shore. The ship is pretty well climate controlled at a comfortable level. The only place that was cold was inside of Tracy's Arm. Hope this helps....

We took the Island Princess from Vancouver to Whittier in June. It was much too cold and windy to swim outside, or to sit around the pool, although a few people braved the outdoor hottubs. The roof was closed over the interior pool, and the air inside was balmy. The young kids took over the pool, however, so it wasn't too inviting.

Last July we were in the mid 80's from Skagway to Ketchikan on the Island. We used to outdoor pool in port. A bit chilly when underway.

I rented a car in Skagway and we drove up to Turquoise Lake if I remember correctly. It was 88 degrees when we stopped for lunch.

Archived