Metro or Taxi from Cruise Port?

tenmile

For those who recently have cruised to Athens, I have a few questions. How much is a taxi ride to the Acropolis/Plaka area from the cruise terminal? Also, I have read that the nearest Metro station from the cruise port is about a 20 minute walk. Does anyone know if Princess runs any shuttles to the Metro station? A Metro Day Pass is about 3 Eu, I think. Does this pass include the city bus transportation too? Last question--can one pre-purchase Museum of the Acropolis tickets online? If not, is the line to purchase tickets very long, on average? What time of day would you recommend visiting this museum?

Thanks for any help/suggestions/advice any of you who have been to Athens recently can share.

Linda

For those who recently have cruised to Athens, I have a few questions. How much is a taxi ride to the Acropolis/Plaka area from the cruise terminal? Also, I have read that the nearest Metro station from the cruise port is about a 20 minute walk. Does anyone know if Princess runs any shuttles to the Metro station? A Metro Day Pass is about 3 Eu, I think. Does this pass include the city bus transportation too? Last question--can one pre-purchase Museum of the Acropolis tickets online? If not, is the line to purchase tickets very long, on average? What time of day would you recommend visiting this museum?

Thanks for any help/suggestions/advice any of you who have been to Athens recently can share.

Linda

Andreas Kambas charged us 20 Euros each way on a pre-arranged trip to the Acropolis and return from the National Garden.

Don't know what the cab drivers waiting at the port charge, but we had read that some were somewhat unscrupulous in their behaviour.

The average cost for taxi from the port to the Plaka or Acropolis is around 20-25 euro. Make a deal before you get in the taxi and be sure you are clear.

I don't believe you can pre-reserve tickets for the Acropolis museum, but I've not read anywhere that the lines are long. If anything, they will be shorter than normal this year since many tourists are opting to forego a visit to Athens.

Andreas Kambas charged us 20 Euros each way on a pre-arranged trip to the Acropolis and return from the National Garden.

Don't know what the cab drivers waiting at the port charge, but we had read that some were somewhat unscrupulous in their behaviour.

Thank you for the advice. Can you recommend a company to pre-arrange taxi/driver transportation?

Linda

We were just in Athens on Celebrity Equinox. All the ships dock in the same area. It was about a 20-25 minute walk along a sidewalk to the Metro station. I didn't see any bus to the Metro, but I see here that there is indeed one. I think by the time you wait for the bus, you could probably could have walked at least half way there. I suppose you could have found a taxi right outside of the port to drive you a few minutes to the Metro station - I'm guessing though that's not the fare that these aggressive taxi drivers are looking for and they would rather get you to pay them for a tour of Athens. Metro to Acropolis was I think 1 Euro, very easy to navigate the Metro system and we felt safe. You need to change trains one time.

We loved taking the Metro. Others on our boat paid for expensive excursions or taxi tours. We got there and back for a grand total of 2 Euro a person. Saw the Acropolis and some of the surrounding sites. Shopped in Plaka. Found free Wifi at a cafe we ate at for lunch. The back to the boat via Metro by early afternoon. We were so satisfied that we had a great day in Athens at such little cost!

We also took the metro. Originally, we were going to take a taxi to the metro, but the cab drivers are not at all interested in the short fare - they will only negotiate going to downtown and if you mention the metro they will try to convince you the metro is unsafe.

The metro is an easy walk, and it about 20 minutes. Exit the port facility, turn left, and walk along the port (keeping the port to your left) until you see a pedestrian foot bridge over the road - use this bridge to cross the road and you are at the metro station.

The fare was 1 euro last November. For the Acropolis, we got off at the Thissio station (but there are other stations as well). The metro is pretty easy to use, but BEWARE - when we returned to the port facility, the metro was very busy and out of our group of 8 people, 3 had pickpockets attempt to take stuff. Basically - keep a good eye on your stuff (this goes for most all of Europe) and watch out for people "bumping" into you.

The New Acropolis Museum was also 1 euro for entry, and the line was very short when we were there.

All the above--true--just really make sure that u negotiate the price into Athens--shouldn't be more than 20 EU--even tho they should only be charging 12...It's a long walk to the metro, even tho it's 20 mins or so---and the metro isn't standing there out in plain sight--but you will hear the trains. Just walk along the waterfront, follow it around, the metro is in a bldg on the right side of the street--just listen. ANd a note of extreme caution: people we were with --the man had deep front pockets AND STILL got his wallet lifted. My husb doesn't carry $---I have a heavy leather bag with a thick strap that goes across my shoulder anf I hang onto it for dear life.

It's a long walk to the metro, even tho it's 20 mins or so---and the metro isn't standing there out in plain sight--but you will hear the trains. Just walk along the waterfront, follow it around, the metro is in a bldg on the right side of the street--just listen.

The metro is easy to spot. There is a footbridge over the road right to it.

Has anyone taken the metro recently from the port? I read on Trip Advisor that some of the lines were under construction but can't find any other info, so not sure how accurate that might be. I want to have alternative plans just in case. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your replies; they have been helpful. I think we will walk to the Metro. Is the pickpocketing as bad when you are visiting the ruins, at restaurants, etc. in the Plaka? We will be watchful!!:o

Has anyone taken the metro recently from the port? I read on Trip Advisor that some of the lines were under construction but can't find any other info, so not sure how accurate that might be. I want to have alternative plans just in case. Thanks!

The construction is on the Green line and it appears that it is still ongoing. Here is some info from tripadvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k3810792-Interruption_on_Green_Line_of_Metro_ISAP_train-Athens_Attica.html

So that means you cannot take the Metro from the port, right? Because that is the green line...I am confused. I have not seen anyone here report that they could not use the Metro from Pireas to the Acropolis.

So that means a bus then. What bus line should one take to get to the Acropolis?

We were in Athens in July on Splendour. We walked with our two sons(12 & 13) easily to metro station fare 1 euro for adults and 50 c for children. takes about 15 minutes. We got of at Thissios and walked( very pleasant) up the hill to the Acropolis. We then jumped on the little tourist train (20 E for family of 4) which took us around Plaka, Parliment square etc. This was a hop on/hop of service. We had snacks in a cafe and took metro back. All very easy. Word of warning taxi drivers are really in your face...almost aggressive. Pickpocket tried it on on return journey. Very charming man started to chat to me as he was trying to steal from my sons bag:)

So that means you cannot take the Metro from the port, right? Because that is the green line...I am confused. I have not seen anyone here report that they could not use the Metro from Pireas to the Acropolis.

So that means a bus then. What bus line should one take to get to the Acropolis?

Did you read the link I posted? The Green line is running fine as far as you will need to take it from Piraeus to get to the Acropolis. Monastiraki is the last stop on the Green line for now, but that will get you to the Acropolis....

(By the way, the above info is good thru December 31, 2010 according to local experts on Tripadvisor....)

We were in Athens in July on Splendour. We walked with our two sons(12 & 13) easily to metro station fare 1 euro for adults and 50 c for children. takes about 15 minutes. We got of at Thissios and walked( very pleasant) up the hill to the Acropolis. We then jumped on the little tourist train (20 E for family of 4) which took us around Plaka, Parliment square etc. This was a hop on/hop of service. We had snacks in a cafe and took metro back. All very easy. Word of warning taxi drivers are really in your face...almost aggressive. Pickpocket tried it on on return journey. Very charming man started to chat to me as he was trying to steal from my sons bag:)

Can you tell me more about the "tourist train" that took you around Plaka and Parliament Square? How much for tickets, and where do you buy them? Is there a website with such info? Sounds like it might be a good option to reduce walking for my elderly dad.

I would just like to say that if you are docking in Pireaus that the metro is not an easy/pleasant walk. I am young and the walk wasn't so long, but it is not the prettiest stroll.

The metro is easy to spot. There is a footbridge over the road right to it.

We had trouble finding the station even though we had a map and had asked for directions. We are not usually directionally challenged, I think it was just much further than we anticipated.

Thank you everyone for your replies; they have been helpful. I think we will walk to the Metro. Is the pickpocketing as bad when you are visiting the ruins, at restaurants, etc. in the Plaka? We will be watchful!!:o

We did not feel like it was bad - only in the Plaka on the Metro & the Metro platform.

We took the cab from just outside the dock gates (July) and it cost us 20 euro. After visiting the Acropolis we walked down to the Acropolis Museum which was brilliant. After that if you continue down towards Hadrian's Arch there is another taxi rank and you are on the edge of the Plaka. It was 20 euro each way and in the extreme heat, well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...

We took the metro on Aug 17th....

--Yes, it is a 20 minute or so walk from the ship to the Metro.

--Look for the pedestrian bridge....aparently the Athens transport people didn't think that some kind of sign indicating that the metro stopped there was actually needed, as there doesn't appear to be one...you just have to 'know' that that's where it is. So, when you get to the pedestrain bridge (water, ferries/ships across the busy street to your left), veer right and go into that big building....the metro is there. It is the end of the line, so get into the train with people in it, and off you go (have your ticket first...easy to buy from a newstand along your walk...3 Euro for a day pass, or buy individual tickets at 1 Euro each, which we did, as we were only taking the metro to get there, and later, to get back)

--You are on the green line (line1)....go as far as Thissio, or Monastiraki (it is blocked here, for construction) and up to the Acropolis from there, or do as we did, and switch (at Monastiraki) to the Blue Line (#3, direction Doukissis, or 'Airport'), go one stop to Syntagma, then switch to the Red Line (#2, direction Ag. Dimitrios), to Akropoli, and walk up the more gentle slope and buy your tickets there (no lines).

Just reverse on the way back.

We did it that way...did the Acropolis, then down to the Agora, a bit of the Monastiraki markets, the Roman Agora/Tower of the Winds, Plaka stroll/lunch/stroll, Hadrian's Arch/Temple of Olympian Zeus, New Acropolis Museum, then return by Metro (we'd done the National Archeological museum on a prior trip).

Kevin

Here is my best reason for pre-arranging a taxi to the Acropolis - we pre-booked driver Andreas Kumbas for 20 euro. Six of us walked off the ship at 7:30 AM. Four of us were greeted warmly by him in the designated area, and the other two chose to walk to the Metro.

At 7:55 AM, we were standing in front of the ticket window at the Acropolis (there were also ticket machines to the right of the window). From then to about 8:45 AM we had the entire Acropolis to ourselves and maybe 30 other people. Then the enormous crowds from the ship's tour arrived and we left.

When we left, we ran into the two who took the 20 minute walk and the Metro. They were just arriving at 8:45. We were SO glad we had taken the taxi!

We took the Metro back and enjoyed the walk to the port. However, in the morning, if you want to see the Acropolis before the crowds get there, take a taxi!

We were in Athens and tried to take the metro/green line to the port on the morning of August 2. The line was shut down, but we didn't hear why (maintenance, construction, labor issues?).

We ended up on the wrong bus, but one that went to the port, and we have a long story to go with it.

When we disembarked August 6, we attempted to find a taxi driver to take us to the metro. It was useless. They all want to argue and debate with you. If they tried that here, they'd lose their taxi licence if they did that too many times. We could not find a driver to take us to the station. We were pulling luggage (a large suitcase and a back-pack each among a family of four) and I would guess that it would have taken us 25 minutes to get to the station walking.

Ultimately, we settled for a taxi driver who took us into Athens for 20 Euros. He dropped us off near a laundromat (which is where we wanted to go), which itself was just a couple blocks from the Acropolis.

• 1 month later...

There is a lot of walking and climbing once you get to the Acropolis/Plaka area. Unless you want to spend extra time walking through the port, I suggest you contact Andreas Kambas for taxi transport. He is very honest, and much more reasonable than any other drivers. If he cannot drive you, he will arrange for "friends" to transport you at the same rate he charges.

We just returned from a cruise and extra days spent in Athens, and used Andreas for several transports. He is very reliable!!!!

Others from our cruise used him also and were very pleased!

Kathy

Archived