Soda Cards on Princess - Does not exist

jillocb

You should accompany this quote with the source which is the gifts section of princess.com.

Those who complianed that they "push" the soda stickers to the extent of "yelling in your ear" are either exaggerating or the most easily annoyed persons on earth. Yes they have tables set up in several locations but I have never experienced anything like that. You can walk quickly by without stopping if not interested. :rolleyes:

I wasn't complaining by any means. However, they were VERY aggressive on our first Princess cruise to the point of being annoying. And not just one of two little areas. Now, this did not happen on our last cruise (maybe because it was Alaska). But it was very evident on the Caribbean Princess. BTW, I'm not easily annoyed.:p

I wasn't complaining by any means. However, they were VERY aggressive on our first Princess cruise to the point of being annoying. And not just one of two little areas. Now, this did not happen on our last cruise (maybe because it was Alaska). But it was very evident on the Caribbean Princess. BTW, I'm not easily annoyed.:p

They were VERY aggressive on ours also - EVERY time we walked by - and you had to walk right past at least 2 of them to get to the buffet - they got in your face and pushed the coke sticker - we even had one follow us yapping away. You shouldn't have to feel like you are avoiding a crazy ex every time you walk to the buffet - finally, I just got to the point to where as soon as I saw them, I said very loudly - "Already have one, thanks". And come to think of it - they were even set up by the elevators - no escaping them! :eek:

W

I hate to say that we were not at all impressed with this cruise - eapecially the sodas - they were watery and had to be sent back time after time because there was not enough soda syrup in them.

I have to say I envy you; you went on a trip and the worst thing that happened was you got watery soda?

Lucky!

They were VERY aggressive on ours also - EVERY time we walked by - and you had to walk right past at least 2 of them to get to the buffet - they got in your face and pushed the coke sticker - we even had one follow us yapping away. You shouldn't have to feel like you are avoiding a crazy ex every time you walk to the buffet - finally, I just got to the point to where as soon as I saw them, I said very loudly - "Already have one, thanks". And come to think of it - they were even set up by the elevators - no escaping them! :eek:

This was where they finally wore us down...lol. We tried to go around them to the spa and they had tables right there. After that, I lugged that darn Coke canister cup around the rest of the day so they wouldn't ask anymore. It was annoying as heck at the time, but we can laugh about it now.:)

Our first cruise, we both purchased soda cards. I don't drink that much soda, but my husband does (probably 4 to 5 44 oz Diet Cokes a day--don't flame me--I don't drink that much.) He prefers fountain soda, not canned, so we certainly get our monies worth on him.

Since then, I realized I would rather drink water or lemonade or beer or wine or anything than that much soda--so he gets the card and I don't.

The 1-800 operators are there to sell you a cruise. So is your travel agent. What they know is probably limited to their personal experience or some great training. I wouldn't count on either.

In late June, we had the soda cards on the sea princess. What, like 6 weeks ago? Your contact had no idea what they were talking about. Good luck, & buy & use that: soda card!! Seabunny

Hello travelers,

I just called Princess Cruise Lines directly to ask about their soda card. I was told by the agent that they do not provide soda cards and have not done so since 2004. What the heck? I know I have seen people on here stating that they have had a soda card on Princess. My travel agent also told me that they had them. Am I going nuts? Why am I getting such different information everywhere I turn??

Guess I have been lucky on my three cruises, no agression, just tables set up in numerous locations.

Your TA also will not know!

When you board you will find waiters on the deck approaching you to buy the soda card every 5 seconds. There will also be display tables often near the elevator.

No the soda sticker is not the 6 cans for the price of 5. You can get that from the bartender.

Soda Sticker has to be purchased for the "whole" cruise -- cost is $4.25 or $4.50 times the number of cruise days on your cruise + 15% gratuity. You just show your cabin key card with the soda sticker (if you bought one) to the bartender to get any of the "fountain" sodas (no cans). Yes some say the soda is a bit diluted because they put a lot of ice -- just tell them little ice please.

Keep posting questions here. No one will be offended by your questions here.

Well I'm offended by our answer...that your TA also will not know,,not sure which TA you use,,, but you need to change if your TA does know this simple question

yes they are stickers and if you drink more than 2 sodas a day, its cheaper with the sticker than buying cans. as pam says it is convient as well when you are in the diningroom,buffet, around the pool, lounge or theatre you can just ask a server to get you a soda with your sticker. the emerald has coke, diet coke, sprite and ginger ale.

This was where they finally wore us down...lol. We tried to go around them to the spa and they had tables right there. After that, I lugged that darn Coke canister cup around the rest of the day so they wouldn't ask anymore. It was annoying as heck at the time, but we can laugh about it now.:)

If you were arrested for something you did not due would you let yourself be worn down and intimidated into confessing?

Car salesmen must love you.

You are only dealing with low level, third world, ship employees not hardcore Caribbean hustlers.

Here how to reject their advances, "NO!!!"

End of lesson.

This is posted in fun and not to be taken seriously.

framer

I typically get the soda card and I probably don't get my money's worth out of it. Does anyone have any idea how much an individual soda is from one of the bartenders? I prefer a can to fountain any day! I know the price is still more expensive than if I just brought my own. Trying to gauge my lazy factor!

I understand your frustration but the Princess reps are trained mainly for booking and major onboard services. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of little things that are done onboard and can change from ship-to-ship. While one would expect a rep to know/understand about the soda card, I'm not surprised as most have never been on a Princess cruise (they have to pay their way to go, they don't get it free.)

To add what others have said, when you get the sticker, you can have any "dispensed" drink anywhere on the ship. This includes Coke, Diet Coke, etc. Because so many "share" the sticker, the price has gone up and up and up, making it more expensive for all. Which is a shame. It used to be quite a bargain.

I still think it's a bargain and more convenient than bringing on your own cans if you drink a lot of soda. I drink at least 2 at lunch and dinner in addition to what I drink by the pool and in the lounges between cocktails. I think the rise in cost has more to do with inflation than it has to do with passengers cheating the system. I can remember when a 2 liter bottle of popular brand cola products were only 69 cents now you’re lucky if you find it on sale for a dollar. Also I take into consideration that the price of a 7 day Caribbean cruise has come down over the years which I think also contributes to the price increase of onboard services. How much has the price gone up since it first came out?

I typically get the soda card and I probably don't get my money's worth out of it. Does anyone have any idea how much an individual soda is from one of the bartenders? I prefer a can to fountain any day! I know the price is still more expensive than if I just brought my own. Trying to gauge my lazy factor!

Cans are $1.75 plus 15% gratuity last time I checked.

I have to say I envy you; you went on a trip and the worst thing that happened was you got watery soda?

Lucky!

Why are we not allowed to complain about watery soda? I have had that same experience on my last two Princess cruises -- not once, but constantly throughout the cruise. When you're paying $4.25 per day x 12 days x 2 people, why should this be acceptable? There are plenty of threads on here about weak alcoholic drinks....:rolleyes:

We don't like to lug on a full case at the embarkation port, so we buy a six pack of soda on shore at every second port or so. Even in European and Caribbean ports, where it's typically more expensive than in the US or Canada, it was still a better deal than buying cans of soda on the ship. We also give ourselves a better selection that way.

I just love the people complaining about "watered down" drinks. What a joke, do you really think they are in the back adding water to the booze bottles????? Come on folks, when liquor is poured over ice, it is diluted and the mixer (whatever it is) also adds to the dilution of the alcohol. Gotta love those Brits who drink their drinks with no ice. There is a direct correlation between the density of the ice and dilution of booze/mixers. If there is a really good ice machine that makes really dense icecubes the drink will seem stronger. It is actually the very same strength.

As for the sodas being "watery" I guess it is the same problem, Order it with less ice (and then don't complain that it is to warm). Sometimes the syrup to charged water ratio needs adjusting, so mention it to the barman and they will generally fix the machine.

One very good advantage to the Soda Sticker (call it what it is) is that you can order what size you want, they generally have three different size glasses that are available at the Outside bars. The DR and the lounges do not generally have the different size glasses available, although some may.

If you were arrested for something you did not due would you let yourself be worn down and intimidated into confessing? I have an aversion to 8' x 10' rooms with bars :eek:

Car salesmen must love you. Actually, they hate to see me coming. I wore my last one down so bad he was ready for ME to leave....lol.

You are only dealing with low level, third world, ship employees not hardcore Caribbean hustlers. They are hustlers none the less...just in a nice uniform.:D

Here how to reject their advances, "NO!!!"

End of lesson.

This is posted in fun and not to be taken seriously.

framer

I get what you're saying, but that was our first cruise. Now, I'm hardcore...I just give them the look now and they don't bother asking!!!

I actually think it is ridiculous that people working in Princess offices cannot answer a simple question about soda card/stickers or any other onboard services. I would have thought that it should be part of the knowledge base they should all have. It certainly does not inspire confidence regarding their staff training.

Why doesn't Princess just give the office people that answer the phones a FAQ type booklet or cheatsheet? Problem solved.:)

It's a shame that a binder isn't made for each employee that has tabs for info such as dining, beverage service, cabin categories, any other category that they may be asked about. From what I heard, it's not a high paying job, so probably the employees are hired from the local Santa Clarita area (those who don't want to work at Magic Mountain).

I just love the people complaining about "watered down" drinks. What a joke, do you really think they are in the back adding water to the booze bottles????? Come on folks, when liquor is poured over ice, it is diluted and the mixer (whatever it is) also adds to the dilution of the alcohol. Gotta love those Brits who drink their drinks with no ice. There is a direct correlation between the density of the ice and dilution of booze/mixers. If there is a really good ice machine that makes really dense icecubes the drink will seem stronger. It is actually the very same strength.

As for the sodas being "watery" I guess it is the same problem, Order it with less ice (and then don't complain that it is to warm). Sometimes the syrup to charged water ratio needs adjusting, so mention it to the barman and they will generally fix the machine.

One very good advantage to the Soda Sticker (call it what it is) is that you can order what size you want, they generally have three different size glasses that are available at the Outside bars. The DR and the lounges do not generally have the different size glasses available, although some may.

Can't address the alcoholic beverages; I only mentioned them as a comparable item people complain about.....:rolleyes:

However, the watery soda is not due to ice. They adjust the ratio of soda syrup down so you get less of it. Many restaurants do it; it's a cost-saving measure. Although why they should seek to save money on something they are dispensing for pennies a glass might be questioned...

(P.S. I live in the "Coca-Cola capital" and used to live next door to an engineer whose department's job entailed, among other things, making random checks on restaurants to ensure that they were not doing this very thing, so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Coca-Cola has a quite narrow ratio of what they are allowed to dispense.)

Archived