Advice for first-time-alaska cruiser - which route to take?

sw1002

Hi folks,

my DW, DD and me plan to visit Alaska by cruising from Seattle,WA in July 2011

We have planned a 7day roundtrip that should start 15-17 of july and are not quite sure what route to take.

Is cruising glacier bay the most impressive ?

Is Tracy Arm fiord comparable?

What is the Inside Passage?

Generally we are open to Carnival RCCL Norwegian Princess and HAL

Could You give us any advice which of the following routes to take (what gives you the most of alaska impression for the money).

http://www.cruise411.com/results.do?places=A&days=ALL&month=7%2F1%2F2011&dd=Any&d=&d2=&fd=2&c=ALL&v=ALL&p=SEA&price=&shoppingZipCode=90210&IncludeSeniorRates=true&sort_by=7&Search.x=34&Search.y=10&Search=Search

I have a quote for carnival spirit departing 7/19 from seattle which is about 700$ cheaper than any other options like norwegian.

As my cruising started with carnival (imagination,liberty,legend) after that we went with princess (sea princess) and remarked a real upgrade in food quality, style, and the general attire. Is the spirit as well one of the "fun ships" from carnival.. or does this cruise / ship tend to be rather calm and quiet. I´m asking because my DD is ony 1,5 years of age when we depart, so we´d like it calm and quiet, Carnival was like a neverending disco and party zone to me.

Do You share my opinion?

Much prefer Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm -- now the exception would be if your cruise line offers tours from the ship in Tracy Arm -- then it would not make any difference.

I'm going to have to disagree with you just a little that a small boat tour into Tracy Arm would make it equal to Glacier Bay. I've been to Glacier Bay twice (also Hubbard Glacier twice) and this past June, besides the 2nd Glacier Bay experience, I also went to Tracy Arm with Adventure Bound. The day to and from Tracy Arm and the entire time in the Arm was spectacular as far as the weather and the almost 2 hours we spent about 1,000 feet in front of the South Sawyer Glacier watching it calve (plus seeing all the harbor seals and their pups on the ice as we approached the glacier) was VERY special....but, in my opinion, the 10 plus hours you spend in Glacier Bay is an overall more "complete" experience. There's just so much more to see at Glacier Bay. I, especially think that Glacier Bay offers a better first time experience. I do agree that Tracy Arm needs to be done on a small boat. Just one person's opinion!

Much prefer Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm -- now the exception would be if your cruise line offers tours from the ship in Tracy Arm -- then it would not make any difference.

Do you know offhand if any RT cruiselines offer the smaller ship Tracy Arm excursion? I see RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas going to Tracy Arms

Do you know offhand if any RT cruiselines offer the smaller ship Tracy Arm excursion? I see RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas going to Tracy Arms

I have not known RCI to offer any add on Tracy Arm tours?? Take a look at their shore excursion list, online.

This year, NCL, Princess and Carnival have been offering it. Definately "necessary" in my opinion.

Hi folks,

We have planned a 7day roundtrip that should start 15-17 of july and are not quite sure what route to take.

Could You give us any advice which of the following routes to take (what gives you the most of alaska impression for the money).

http://www.cruise411.com/results.do?places=A&days=ALL&month=7%2F1%2F2011&dd=Any&d=&d2=&fd=2&c=ALL&v=ALL&p=SEA&price=&shoppingZipCode=90210&IncludeSeniorRates=true&sort_by=7&Search.x=34&Search.y=10&Search=Search

In my opinion, if you get HAL, with Glacier Bay and Sitka- that is the top itinerary choice out of Seattle. Every cruise is a compromise- and none "bad".

Look at many factors, ports, time in ports, price, glacier, routing, touring preferences. In other words, the total overall costs. :)

Out of Seattle I believe all the cruises do outside Vancouver Island passage, once in Alaska the views are spectacular but you don't do the "inside passage" For that I think you need to leave out of Vacouver.

Having just done Tracy Arm, as nice as it is, even if you get to take the smaller boat Allen Marine excursion it comes nowhere near as nice as Hubbard or Glacier bay, anyone who says so hasn't been there on a good day. DOn't get me wrong its nice, but can't compare.

Check the cruise schedule, there are a few cruises that do Glacer roundtrip but you give up a bit on shorter port stops. I would take inside cabin, book early and save the money. As nice as a balcony sounds many times it can be could and windy that you don't really spend "that" much time there. The times I looked out which should have been peak viewing times I would say 95% of the balconies were empty, go figure.

Good luck

Hi folks,

Out of Seattle I believe all the cruises do outside Vancouver Island passage, once in Alaska the views are spectacular but you don't do the "inside passage" For that I think you need to leave out of Vacouver.

Nope- NCL on the Star, has been going inside Vancouver island, and in the past, so did Celebrity.

Hi folks,

There are so many possibilities in Alaska. You really can't go wrong with any of them. It depends on exactly what YOU want and expect.

Here are my personal answers to your questions.

Absolutely! For a first cruise to Alaska, I would highly recommend Glacier Bay.

NO! Tracy Arm fjord is beautiful scenic cruising but the glacier experience is in no way comparable. This question is asked so often that I made a page about it: check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaglaciers.html

The "Inside Passage" refers essentially to this entire trip, as there are many islands along the entire coastline in SE Alaska and the ship will be travelling "Inside" of these islands.

The largest of these islands is Vancouver Island. Many times, ships from Seattle will sail up OUTSIDE of Vancouver Island, then go INSIDE for the rest of the trip. This does not mean they are not in the "Inside Passage," just that for part of the time they are outside. In every case it depends on the judgement of the Captain for that particular ship and trip.

We just came back from our eighth cruise to Alaska and the one we chose was the Oosterdam, same itinerary that you are looking at. It was right for us. YMMV. You can check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

We went on our cruise last month July 5-12 on Island Princess so the timing/weather might be similar to what you'll experience. We did a one-way cruise from Whittier to Vancouver though. I chose our cruise because it goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier which are highly recommended on this board.

You can read my review of our cruise on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/cruises/princess-cruises/island-princess-alaska-2010-short-review/

I wish I had photos ready but I'm still sorting through ~3,000 of them from the trip! But hopefully it can give you an idea of what the cruise was like and help you plan yours.

Good luck!

This year HAL's Zuiderdam offers tours at Tracy Arm which end in Juneau. This ship also does Glacier Bay and is round trip from Vancouver.

Our first Alaskan cruise (back in the 80's) we went to Glacier Bay and were impressed. But I have to admit that we love Hubbard Glacier better -- maybe it is just our luck -- but we have seen more calving in Hubbard than in Glacier Bay. Plus I love the Bluer Ice in Hubbard. We did go to Tracy Arm a couple of times -- but couldn't get close.

Archived