Veendam A/C problems

Max2003

Would someone who has recently cruised on the Veendam please comment on the current status of the air conditioning in the staterooms. There have been many posts in the past regarding hot areas on the ship but nothing that seems to be recent. Since the itinerary is currently Bermuda with several days stationary in port without the benefit of the cooling effects of movement, it would be especially critical.

Thanks!

Would someone who has recently cruised on the Veendam please comment on the current status of the air conditioning in the staterooms. There have been many posts in the past regarding hot areas on the ship but nothing that seems to be recent. Since the itinerary is currently Bermuda with several days stationary in port without the benefit of the cooling effects of movement, it would be especially critical.

Thanks!

DW and I were on 6-20 cruise and Sis and BIL on 7-18 cruise. We all

stayed on the Lower Promenade, one in a Lanai and one in H\AC cabin

and had no problems.

I have thought the same thing as you that the amount of time that the ship is stationary may be playing havoc with the cooling.

I am sure we're going to upset some dissatisfied people with that one though!

I am also happy to report that the breeze at night in the Retreat area is totally refreshing and delightful. By then you should have the area left to

all the people who enjoy howling at the moon.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks!

We just got off the Veendam on Sunday, 8/1/10 & the air conditioning problems still exist in many areas of the ship. We were on Deck 5 & had no air conditioning until we switched cabins and then the air in the new cabin died on us until it was fixed later in the week. There were other cabins on our deck & other decks who were experiencing the same issues. Here's a clue: When a ship has a large quantity of fans on board they are very aware of this continuous problem. Not having proper working air conditioning is a deal breaker for us.

'Tis a real shame that significant A/C problems still may exist on the Veendam. My humble opinion: instead of spending a fortune on SOE enhancements (aft poolette and added cabins, lanai cabins, Showroom at Sea, etc.), HAL would have done better using that money to fix the A/C.

I'm heading out this Sunday and am VERY concerned about the A/C problems. So much so that I purchased my own small fan to bring with me. I can't understand why the issue would have anything to do with the ship standing still - my house doesn't move and the A/C works perfectly!

I know that HAL is well aware of this issue. It's just a shame that it can't be fixed.

I can't understand why the issue would have anything to do with the ship standing still - my house doesn't move and the A/C works perfectly!

A ship is made of metal and conducts heat. Your house is not and does not conduct heat when properly insulated.

When the ship is moving the air currents help conduct heat away from the ship cooling it. Kind of like a breeze against your skin.

The volume of air that your home a/c pushes can in no way be compared to the HVAC requirements of a ship of 57,000 GRT of displacement.

The Veendam is still a great deal as an economical way to see Bermuda for 3.5 days anchored at St. George and docked in Hamilton. None of the

other mass-market cruise lines can do this.

I have been on many Caribbean cruises with other lines where fans are given out as you need them.

Keep an eye on the prize. If not there are other alternatives, none of which are as appealing.

I can't understand why the issue would have anything to do with the ship standing still - my house doesn't move and the A/C works perfectly!

I know that HAL is well aware of this issue. It's just a shame that it can't be fixed.

We just came back on Aug. 1. I was in an outside stateroom midship on the main deck. We turned our thermostat to the max cold setting and the first 24 hours or so, the room was about 70 -72 degrees. They say that the AC doesn't reach full power until the ship picks up speed. While in port it is running on auxiliary power. It never got really cold in our cabin until Saturday and Sunday morning. It wasn't really too uncomfortable the whole time, but it could've been cooler for sleeping (which is basically the only time you're in there). It was very cold in the other areas of the ship toward the end of the cruise also. So if you are sensitive to cold, you might consider a sweater.

We just got off the Veendam on Sunday, 8/1/10 & the air conditioning problems still exist in many areas of the ship. We were on Deck 5 & had no air conditioning until we switched cabins and then the air in the new cabin died on us until it was fixed later in the week. There were other cabins on our deck & other decks who were experiencing the same issues. Here's a clue: When a ship has a large quantity of fans on board they are very aware of this continuous problem. Not having proper working air conditioning is a deal breaker for us.

I bet you still had a good time.

I disagree with the whole thing about the ship moving and AC.

We've been to Bermuda several times on NCL , twice inside cabins the others balcony cabins. We NEVER once had any AC problems the entire trip.

Twice we sailed on the Older NCL Crown *Now Fred Olsen Balmoral* so I can' t blame it on being an older ship. Crown was even smaller and we docked in St.George, not tender.

I do wonder if some A/C problems on some ships are due to passengers' actions.

From time to time here on these boards I've read comments that some passengers like to keep verandah and/or lanai doors open for extended periods to enjoy the sea breeze and sounds.:mad: Clearly, that is against HAL's policies. Well, and it messes up the A/C for every cabin in that comfort zone.

I've been reading several other CC cruiseline boards and A/C problems are not mentioned. Plus other HAL ships don't have the continuing problems that Veendam has. You mean to tell me that the Veendam has 'open verandah door' pax and that other ships don't and this is the cause of the long time 'no A/C' situation on the Veendam? Spare me. This excuse no longer flies.

I agree 100%.

I've sailed NCL several times to bermuda. 2x on a smaller ship then the Veendam and also larger ships.

This is the only line / ship I've ever heard of this and I'm getting more upset thinking that our Aug. 29th cruise, First on HAL will have this issue in our cabin.

I'm admitting im in menopause (47) and will NOT be a happy camper if I/we have to sleep without Air.

I've called HAL twice and they sound like this is the first time they've heard it. I told them it's all over these boards and has been.

Their answer is we'll get a fan and will be accomodated. I don't wan't money back at the end of the cruise, don't want wine or strawberries JUST ac in the cabin as it should be.

Problem going on too long now. Fix it already HAL..

Hopefully by the time we sail I'll have this out of my system.

Thank God my crankiness is gone but the hotflashes/night sweats are a killer.

I've been reading several other CC cruiseline boards and A/C problems are not mentioned. Plus other HAL ships don't have the continuing problems that Veendam has. You mean to tell me that the Veendam has 'open verandah door' pax and that other ships don't and this is the cause of the long time 'no A/C' situation on the Veendam? Spare me. This excuse no longer flies.

I also just got off the Veendam on Sunday and there were definitely problems with the AC. I was on Deck 4 Aft and our air did not work well! I complained to the front office at least four times on four different days (got a plat of chocolates on one night and last night got a bottle of wine delivered to the cabin in which I left in the cabin). The front desk people kept on coming to the cabin taking temperature readings in the vent and on my bed???????? The issue never got effectively addressed. I last day my mother was in the cabin and a technician did arrive but the same thing continued to happen. No regulation of thermostat.

My mother also has respiratory problems and uses a nebulizer 4-5 times a day so the lack of AC was an issue for us. There was even black "soot" coming out of my vent in the cabin. My sinuses did not feel so good on the ship and cleared when I returned home.

Now in other parts of the ship (i.e. Lido and MDR/very warm in the Pinicle Grill) were freezing. I needed a sweatshirt or jacket in these areas.

I agree with a previous post, why did they upgrade the ship when the AC system is inconsistent and perhaps a health issue.

Also please note I read these boards always prior to cruise departure (I have been on about 30 cruises) and ususally find that people pick on small flaws of a respective ship, rust, AC, etc..................... This was not the case on this sailing!

Sailing on the Summit next week and hope I have a better vacation! Sorry HAL fans; i was so looking forward to trying an new cruise line.

I have also been reading about these problems with the Veendam for a while, and as stated elsewhere, getting concerned, for I booked the 3/18/2011 with them, it is 28 days, from Rio to Ft Lauderdale, and the thought of being without a/c is not appealing.

I will also try and contact HAL for unless I detect an improving situation I will have to cancel.

From time to time here on these boards I've read comments that some passengers like to keep verandah and/or lanai doors open for extended periods to enjoy the sea breeze and sounds.:mad: Clearly, that is against HAL's policies. Well, and it messes up the A/C for every cabin in that comfort zone.

No, no, no! Veendam air conditioning was "stretched" too far:rolleyes:, and obviously, too thin;) when they added those extra cabins on her fanny and installed that @#!%*@ wading pool for your fingers and toes that nobody wants/uses except the kiddies. Consequently, the elastic conduit wires, think bungee cord, through which the cold air streams to the single 1947 Belgian-built a/c generator on F-Deck couldn't/wouldn't take the abuse; Sacre bleu!:eek: To add insult to injury, the lone Dutch engineer, responsible for turning the single wheel, quit and went home to Mokum after Holland lost the World Cup final to #&%^@& Spain. Without a doubt, the root of all those a/c problemas:eek:

When we had AC problems on Maasdam (same class ship as Veendam), the maintenance staff actually told us to leave the balcony door open because there was no air flow coming into the cabin from our vent. The only way to get air into our cabin was from the outside or leaving our cabin door open to the hallway. They eventually found a fan (maybe bought one in port?) for us, but that wasn't until the 5th day of our cruise. The maintenance people are probably telling the Veendam passengers the same thing so it isn't necessarily the passengers randomly leaving their balcony doors open.

My friends sailed on Veendam in February 2009 and were plagued by AC issues with their balcony cabin. It was their first and (so they say) last cruise. I've been trying to get them to go with hubby and I on Zuiderdam since they also want to see the Panama Canal, but the memory of the hot cabin conditions hasn't faded yet for them.

When we had AC problems on Maasdam (same class ship as Veendam), the maintenance staff actually told us to leave the balcony door open because there was no air flow coming into the cabin from our vent. The only way to get air into our cabin was from the outside or leaving our cabin door open to the hallway. They eventually found a fan (maybe bought one in port?) for us, but that wasn't until the 5th day of our cruise. The maintenance people are probably telling the Veendam passengers the same thing so it isn't necessarily the passengers randomly leaving their balcony doors open.

My friends sailed on Veendam in February 2009 and were plagued by AC issues with their balcony cabin. It was their first and (so they say) last cruise. I've been trying to get them to go with hubby and I on Zuiderdam since they also want to see the Panama Canal, but the memory of the hot cabin conditions hasn't faded yet for them.

Wasn't aware that maintenance was issuing that directive ... thanks for sharing. My comments were based on things I've read here ... but certainly other factors, such as a somewhat broken system, are a major factor.

Yeah, aren't fans great? They just move the hot air around ... doesn't add much comfort, tho, does it?

As I commented earlier, perhaps HAL needs to reassess their SOE initiative ... instead of pouring a wad of money into innovative amenities to suck in new pax, HAL might be better to spend that money on basic comfort issues, such as functioning A/C thruout the ship.

No, no, no! Veendam air conditioning was "stretched" too far:rolleyes:, and obviously, too thin;) when they added those extra cabins on her fanny and installed that @#!%*@ wading pool for your fingers and toes that nobody wants/uses except the kiddies. Consequently, the elastic conduit wires, think bungee cord, through which the cold air streams to the single 1947 Belgian-built a/c generator on F-Deck couldn't/wouldn't take the abuse; Sacre bleu!:eek: To add insult to injury, the lone Dutch engineer, responsible for turning the single wheel, quit and went home to Mokum after Holland lost the World Cup final to #&%^@& Spain. Without a doubt, the root of all those a/c problemas:eek:

You're a man in the know ... please tell me, has Mokum been banned from all future employment with HAL?:eek:

Sacre bleu!:eek: To add insult to injury, the lone Dutch engineer, responsible for turning the single wheel, quit and went home to Mokum after Holland lost the World Cup final to #&%^@& Spain. Without a doubt, the root of all those a/c problemas:eek:

Sacre bleu is right!!!

Mokum is not a person! Mokum, is an (old) nickname, the residents of Amsterdam gave to their city;)

Oooops ... my eyes playing tricks on me again.

Anyway ... has the lone engineer from the Veendam been banned from all future HAL employ?

My sentiments exactly! And what's with the rubbish about "enjoying your cruise" and not worrying about the "fluff". I'll enjoy Bermuda but if I'm hot flashing through the night because the A/C doesn't work I will not enjoy my cruise!! There. I said it!!!

Archived