Veendam A/C problems

Max2003

Yikes, in which direction are the "five cabins in a row"?:eek:

Well, I was told mine was in the middle. Of course, I got the info from the front desk, so I can't verify it. I do know that the people on either side of me had problems, because we talked about it. The whole Main Deck smells bad - see if you can change rooms if you're in one. (Friends in the 640s had the same stink in the hall but not the A/C problem)

I can assure you it won't be HAL.....after the last 3 cruises on HAL ships - Veendam, Prinsendam & Noordam(31 days total) the problems w/ the ships & service & basic maintainence while we were onboard are inexcuseable...we are pretty easy going...and certainly not fools.

A good friend has been after me to try Seabourn and Regents has several of our friends as regulars. I do enjoy the QM2...the only problem w/ Crystal is the dining in 2 seatings. we did Azamara for 16 days in january...loved the size of teh ship but it needed updating to cabins...so Oceana may be a good try next time...

We also decided to do more land based holidays w/ longer stays in Europe and South America.

Where are you & the trunks off to next???

Full moon & smooth seas to you Bepsf!!!

Definitely think Oceania may be more to your liking (ours too - though we like HAL). And their port intensive itinerary may be more to your liking.

Crystal now has 3 choices - fixed late, fixed early and new open dining.

Imagine this, using HAL boards to tout Crystal and Oceania. Nice marketing niche. Particularly when combined with trash talking HAL first. BTW: Crystal Symphony has decidedly funky smells too in certain areas, mainly down by the cheaper rooms so be sure to book high end to get away from them.

And hope you don't mind all the diesel exhaust you get on the back decks of Crystal Symphony too. Particularly if you can't afford your own verandah cabin and have to muck it out for the few uncomfortable deck benches they have outside where you might actually enjoy the wind in your hair (and the smell of diesel).

So don't just take any old cabin on Crystal. You will need to get the top cabins if you don't want to be enclosed in a small indoor cabin space, smell funky sewage when you leave your cabin and enjoy the outdoors wind in your hair only with the accompanying smell of burnt fuel oil.

Definitely think Oceania may be more to your liking (ours too - though we like HAL). And their port intensive itinerary may be more to your liking.

Crystal now has 3 choices - fixed late, fixed early and new open dining.

Funny, I looked at Oceania and talked to a fellow passenger who became a good friend and they hated it. (and he books deluxe verandah so I am sure he booked the equivalent). They said they will never sail on her again. Oceania is not six star but want a six star price. Each to their own, myself, right now, I prefer HAL for service, food and rooms.

and after listening to more experienced travellers in person.

enjoy your cruise:):)

We just got off on 8/15/10 deluxe verandah suite 016. We had problems with our temp. Offered two fans. Then bottle of wine. Very discouraging.

I will be posting an extensive review of the entire cruise experience including tips and issues in the next couple of days.

Looking forward to reading your full review.

We just got off on 8/15/10 deluxe verandah suite 016. We had problems with our temp. Offered two fans. Then bottle of wine. Very discouraging.

I will be posting an extensive review of the entire cruise experience including tips and issues in the next couple of days.

Looking forward to reading your full review.

So am I, MacBest. Everyone deserves the basics, which includes A/C. But how much MORE disappointing is this when you've paid extra for an S. I always figured the concierge would eventually get maintenance to solve a problem like this. I'm disillusioned, and so very, very sorry for you (and everyone else).

After reading about & then sailing on the Veendam(w/ a mediocre experience to say the least) I think people should look at the overall maintainence program on HAL ships -

As far as the Veendam - we had an outside cabin midships - the bathroom was beyond worn w/ areas that obviously could no longer be cleaned(including teh tub & vanity areas). The sheets & duvet were stained to the point that even the laundry onboard could not even get the stains out. The towels were suitable for a roadside motel.

The aft pool was removed & the splash pool was closed for a couple of days so the tile job could be redone...for the entire week there were many many loose tiles in the pool along w/ drink straws, knapkins & other assorted stuff that the reduced crew could not keep up with or simply ignored.

The food - well ...by Wednesday we had had enough.

So maybe its time HAL wakes up & revises their business plan & put some $$ into better maintainence.

For years I laughged when a line said they just spent millions on a ships rehap....new draperies does not help the engineering department!!!!!

So perhaps its time

After reading about & then sailing on the Veendam(w/ a mediocre experience to say the least) I think people should look at the overall maintainence program on HAL ships -

As far as the Veendam - we had an outside cabin midships - the bathroom was beyond worn w/ areas that obviously could no longer be cleaned(including teh tub & vanity areas). The sheets & duvet were stained to the point that even the laundry onboard could not even get the stains out. The towels were suitable for a roadside motel.

The aft pool was removed & the splash pool was closed for a couple of days so the tile job could be redone...for the entire week there were many many loose tiles in the pool along w/ drink straws, knapkins & other assorted stuff that the reduced crew could not keep up with or simply ignored.

So maybe its time HAL wakes up & revises their business plan & put some $$ into better maintainence.

For years I laughged when a line said they just spent millions on a ships rehap....new draperies does not help the engineering department!!!!!

So perhaps its time

I don't normally reply like this but....enough already. I understand that you are dissatisfied with HAL - we've been reading nothing else from you for many many days - we get it! You have made yourself very clear on where you stand - now get over it and move on - if that means leaving HAL, so be it, you will probably be missed by many people that you have met and made friends with. I wish you good luck in choosing your next cruise line - hopefully it will be more to your liking.:confused:

Was on the same cruise..at least you were offered fans!?!

I don't normally reply like this but....enough already. I understand that you are dissatisfied with HAL - we've been reading nothing else from you for many many days - we get it! You have made yourself very clear on where you stand - now get over it and move on - if that means leaving HAL, so be it, you will probably be missed by many people that you have met and made friends with. I wish you good luck in choosing your next cruise line - hopefully it will be more to your liking.:confused:

I AGREE WITH pizzadog!! Please, give this a rest or at least go back to one of the oh so numerous threads regardig the Veendam. Do not, I beg of you, keep starting new threads.

Joanie

Enough already not just for this OP but for many of them. I don't think I can take another thread. It amazes me how long someone can go on & on & on & on & on..........about the same thing.

So perhaps its time

I'm sorry that your experience was so bad. Ours was the exact opposite of yours. The cruise was fantastic!

I am surprised at the amount of problems the OP encountered. On our Veendam cruise, a few things could have been better, but nothing approached the debacle the OP describes.

Our cabin was a little warm, but liveable. The retreat and Lido Pool areas were kept clean. We did not see discarded napkins, straws, etc anywhere.

My only complaints about the food were that many desserts were bland and I didn't like the tea until I found the house blend darjeeling. The main courses and soups were delicious. Everything was cooked as we ordered it. We used the Lido for breakfast and lunch and were pleased with the variety and quality.

The linen closets could use a good clear out. Bed linens were a bit "tired," but the towels were fine. I didn't see evidence of wear on any of the furniture in the public areas or in our cabin. The bathroom was in excellent condition. On a few days our room was made up late, but we were never skipped.

Was our cruise perfect? No. I've been on bettter, I've been on worse. Did any of the little minuses "ruin our cruise?" No.

So to readers who are wondering if they should try the Veendam, I say yes, especially if you are interested in Bermuda. It's so much nicer to be on a smaller ship that gets a day more in Bermuda than other lines get, and docks in Hamilton instead of Dockyard.

(and no, I don't work for HAL or any other cruise line, I don't have stock in HAL, I'm not a TA)

I am surprised at the amount of problems the OP encountered. On our Veendam cruise, a few things could have been better, but nothing approached the debacle the OP describes.

Our cabin was a little warm, but liveable. The retreat and Lido Pool areas were kept clean. We did not see discarded napkins, straws, etc anywhere.

My only complaints about the food were that many desserts were bland and I didn't like the tea until I found the house blend darjeeling. The main courses and soups were delicious. Everything was cooked as we ordered it. We used the Lido for breakfast and lunch and were pleased with the variety and quality.

The linen closets could use a good clear out. Bed linens were a bit "tired," but the towels were fine. I didn't see evidence of wear on any of the furniture in the public areas or in our cabin. The bathroom was in excellent condition. On a few days our room was made up late, but we were never skipped.

Was our cruise perfect? No. I've been on bettter, I've been on worse. Did any of the little minuses "ruin our cruise?" No.

So to readers who are wondering if they should try the Veendam, I say yes, especially if you are interested in Bermuda. It's so much nicer to be on a smaller ship that gets a day more in Bermuda than other lines get, and docks in Hamilton instead of Dockyard.

(and no, I don't work for HAL or any other cruise line, I don't have stock in HAL, I'm not a TA)

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this cruise as we're book to go on this ship and were somewhat apprehensive reading some of the reviews.

So am I, MacBest. Everyone deserves the basics, which includes A/C. But how much MORE disappointing is this when you've paid extra for an S. I always figured the concierge would eventually get maintenance to solve a problem like this. I'm disillusioned, and so very, very sorry for you (and everyone else).

I understand your feelings about paying extra for an "S" and feeling you deserve A/C. I believe you do, too.

But it bothers me that you suggest an "S" is more deserving of A/C than the most inexpensive inside cabin. I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound that way, but I've seen some other posts that suggest the same thing. You have paid for a much larger cabin, a wonderful large balcony, more amenities and added services.

But A/C should come as standard throughout the entire ship from the very cheapest to the most expensive cabin. Everyone who boards the ship paid for a comfortable cabin.

This has nothing to do with cruising or HAL but the last poster reminded me of a night at Friendlys.

We were seated in a booth , the people behind us consisted of a Mother, Her teenage daughter and younger daughter maybe 10 yrs,. old.

The teenage girl was for her age obese (not making fun of anyone)

The younger girl was on her way to that.

My BF's backs were to them and I could see everything.

The waitress took their orders first. Then came to us. What got me nervous was that the waitress didn't write anything down, all memory .

Needless to say she got their orders wrong (behind us). I said Uh Oh .. that means ours will be screwed up too. Mine was fine , My BF had one thing missing but he didn't care.

The waitress went over to their table to see if everything was alright.

The teenage daughter very rudely said to the waitress (in a tone if she were my kid she'd be doing dishes and sweeping the floors) ... WHERES MY CHEESE ? Theres no cheese on this , I ordered it with cheese.

Waitress apologized and wanted to change it for her. Waitress a young sweet girl maybe 18 .

Then the Mother was arguing with her teen ," I'm not paying $10.00 for that sandwich if it's not what you ordered, send it back.

Waitress came back and the mother started a scene now.

Finally the mgr (who also was the cook) came over and said How can I help you? The teenager told her thinking she was the mgr . that the waitress messed up the order and didn't write anything down.

Mgr says "tell me how you'd like it and I'll make it just as you'd like".

Ok... here comes the new plate of food (mind you the kid ate the entire plate of fries while waiting for her new plate with more fries.

"WHERES THE BACON" ? Theres no bacon on this sandwich I ordered it with Bacon... She took the bun off the sandwich and lifted the sandwich under the waitress's face .... (RUDE) OMG it keeps getting worse.

We're laughing to ourselves as we can't believe they could complain about everything.

Now it's time for dessert.

I nearly died when I heard them order their ice cream sundaes and the teen said to the waitress "Make sure their REAL scoops" and not spoonfuls , xtra fudge and cherries,

(Yes I remember this by heart as we still chuckle over it)

Ok... here comes the icecream but it wasn't real scoops (DUCK).. We're gonna get hit this time...

Waitress comes to us and we tell her everything was just fine/ perfect actually .

Teen daugher asks for a drink in her nasty tone. I'm boiling now as this poor waitress really kept her cool.

The Mother had her back to my BF and the two girls sat across from their MOM (facing me).

The teen was too busy with her spoon in the ice cream that when she went to pick up the tall glass of water it fell out of her hand and RIGHT into her mothers lap !!!

I couldn't hold it it I let out a laugh.

Now the little kid says "I (ME ) thought it was so funny blah blah blah"

I did..

Mommy goes to the bathroom to dry off and the daughters were laughing now .

Mom comes back and the little one says I was laughing about the water.

Next thing .. My BF says "I'll be right back" I said where are you going ?

He went to tell the MGR how rude they were to the young waitress and they basically verbally abused her all night and he didn't feel it was right if she got in trouble.

Then he proceeded to tell her (what I didn't hear) is .....

The Mommy wanted to come and pour a glass of water over my head because I thought it was so funny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MGR said ... Oh no. we'll move your table.

We were done at this point.

Anyway...

We overheard them tell the mgr "THis is the third restaurant we've been to today and no one got our orders right " !!!!! Habitual complainers...

I hope this makes you laugh .. When people complain sometimes they need to stop .

Things happen, life isn't perfect and sometimes you can tell alot about a person by how they handle a not so perfect situation :-)

If my cabin has no AC I'm sure I'll be mad but It won't make me not sail HAL ever again. I'd see if the problem was fixed before booking or try another of their ships. IT's Vacation time.. Enjoy . We're going to Bermuda.

I hope I made someone laugh over this... I still am ...

I understand your feelings about paying extra for an "S" and feeling you deserve A/C. I believe you do, too.

But it bothers me that you suggest an "S" is more deserving of A/C than the most inexpensive inside cabin. I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound that way, but I've seen some other posts that suggest the same thing. You have paid for a much larger cabin, a wonderful large balcony, more amenities and added services.

But A/C should come as standard throughout the entire ship from the very cheapest to the most expensive cabin. Everyone who boards the ship paid for a comfortable cabin.

Bravo!!!

Archived