Veendam A/C problems

Max2003

I agree 100%.

I've sailed NCL several times to bermuda. 2x on a smaller ship then the Veendam and also larger ships.

This is the only line / ship I've ever heard of this and I'm getting more upset thinking that our Aug. 29th cruise, First on HAL will have this issue in our cabin.

I'm admitting im in menopause (47) and will NOT be a happy camper if I/we have to sleep without Air.

I've called HAL twice and they sound like this is the first time they've heard it. I told them it's all over these boards and has been.

Their answer is we'll get a fan and will be accomodated. I don't wan't money back at the end of the cruise, don't want wine or strawberries JUST ac in the cabin as it should be.

Problem going on too long now. Fix it already HAL..

Hopefully by the time we sail I'll have this out of my system.

Thank God my crankiness is gone but the hotflashes/night sweats are a killer.

Cancel the cruise and don't go, you've already ruined it for yourself by getting all worried. Deal with what is, not with what may be.

Too much critic on this thread, not enough cruise.

Not a pom-pom guy.

My sentiments exactly! And what's with the rubbish about "enjoying your cruise" and not worrying about the "fluff". I'll enjoy Bermuda but if I'm hot flashing through the night because the A/C doesn't work I will not enjoy my cruise!! There. I said it!!!

Rubbish?

Go up to the Lounge, stay cool and get blotto.

Sometimes you just have to buck it up and go with the flow.

Sorry you're not going to have a good time.

My sentiments exactly! And what's with the rubbish about "enjoying your cruise" and not worrying about the "fluff". I'll enjoy Bermuda but if I'm hot flashing through the night because the A/C doesn't work I will not enjoy my cruise!! There. I said it!!!

i agree. nordic prince is obviously a schill for HAL.

Rubbish?

I don't think "going the flow" includes no A/C in a hot climate, especially when the cruiseline markets itself as upscale. This problem is long-standing and just patched up, not fixed. A/C and working plumbing are bottom line basics, not fluff, IMHO. Blaming the paxs really is a little much, don't you think?

Rubbish?

Go up to the Lounge, stay cool and get blotto.

What I don't get is why you feel the need to validate or criticize the feelings and opinions of posters. This is a consistent theme for you and honestly, I think it's really weird.

If air conditioning is important to me and not you, who cares? We're on these boards to share information, not to judge, or didn't you get the memo??

So why don't YOU buck it up and visit the NCL or Carnival boards for the rest of the day?

i agree. nordic prince is obviously a schill for HAL.

Sorry for you, I am mostly a RCI cruiser. I have only been on HAL once. But I am a big fan of cruising

Basically I am a mid 50's guy who tries to not let the negatives overrule the postives, because in the end you only waste time complaining and making yourself miserable instead of working around problems and enjoying yourself.

Having been put in life-threatening situations gives you some maturity and perspective on these issues.

And I also never forgot from whence I came. I try to remember that the overwhelming majority of the people that run cruise ships try their hardest to provide a good cruise experience and are trying to make an honest living.

And if it's 80 degrees in my cabin, guess what? I'll put on my birthday suit. No time to waste.

Can't make it any clearer.

Signing off now. Have fun.

I can't say on this board what I'd really like to you so .... You can just imagine.

I'm not cancelling anything but you :-)

No AC on a cruise in the summer to a HOT place is not a cool thing !

No matter what the price we paid it's our vacation. We're not going camping in a tent somewhere. HAL has a great reputation and I'm sure it'll stand up to everything else but if something is a constant problem *(like you)* fix it..

Maybe your comments should stop at this point.

If you read my reviews from all other cruise lines this is the only thing that could possibly bother me/us.

We make due under all situations and having no air is BS.

Cancel the cruise and don't go, you've already ruined it for yourself by getting all worried. Deal with what is, not with what may be.

Too much critic on this thread, not enough cruise.

Not a pom-pom guy.

Sorry for you, I am mostly a RCI cruiser. I have only been on HAL once. But I am a big fan of cruising

Basically I am a mid 50's guy who tries to not let the negatives overrule the postives, because in the end you only waste time complaining and making yourself miserable instead of working around problems and enjoying yourself.

Having been put in life-threatening situations gives you some maturity and perspective on these issues.

And I also never forgot from whence I came. I try to remember that the overwhelming majority of the people that run cruise ships try their hardest to provide a good cruise experience and are trying to make an honest living.

And if it's 80 degrees in my cabin, guess what? I'll put on my birthday suit. No time to waste.

Can't make it any clearer.

Signing off now. Have fun.

Goodbye, we'll miss you!:)

step away from the pom poms...

This just about made my day ... one of the funniest posts I've seen in a long while.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think NP is either pulling someone's leg or pulling our chain. No way anyone thinks it's okay if the A/C isn't working on a ship.

Go with the flow of perspiration is more like it. A hot cabin ruins the cruise; no way you can have a great time if you can't sleep. Sorry. This is why I made it my #1 deal breaker on the deal breaker thread and it brought not one single comment.

The thing with the Veendam is inexcusable because it goes back such a long way (long before adding cabins, wading pools, etc.) We were on her in November 2007 and it was all over CC about the Veendam's A/C problems. People insisted it had to do with the transition of coming down from Canada to Tampa. Now it's because the ship is stationary. Puleeeeez!!! LOL.

You could not pay me to get on that ship and that's going some because I love the ship, the size, the crew at that time was out of this world. But if I have to cruise with my drapes pulled shut and I still can't get it under 78, then something's wrong.

So HAL needs to either get it fixed or trash it. Adding cabins and wading pools just doesn't cut it.

We don't have a balcony cabin on this cruise, it's not like we'll have a window to open either to try and get a breeze to work with the "fans" HAL is giving out to those complaining.

Being in a small room with no ventilation and a fan to blow around what ? Stale, hot , smelly air. NO thanks.

I maybe am getting a bit worked up over this and I hope it's for nothing when it comes down to it. I've always been super excited before each cruise, I still am but I do have this in the back of my mind now.

Not my normal way to begin our cruise.

I hope I can write a review and say it's all been fixed and it was wonderful.

25 more days and we'll be sailing ..

babygirl -

Thanks for the great idea! We're going to bring a small fan with us also. If we bring it, we probably won't need it.

Bringing folding umbrellas to ward off the rain too!

:)

Nooooooooooooo:eek: Don't bring the umbrellas:eek:; they're dangerous to use, word has it, apparently:cool:

babygirl -

Thanks for the great idea! We're going to bring a small fan with us also. If we bring it, we probably won't need it.

Bringing folding umbrellas to ward off the rain too!

:)

In Deluxe Verandah Suites, umbrellas are in your suite for your use as needed throughout the cruise. So are binoculars. At least, we have had them in every Deluxe suite in which we've stayed. See Veendam stateroom link below; go to Navigation deck and click on "Deluxe Verandah Suite amenities":

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=ve&deck=m#

But - I never leave home without my tiny-but-powerful 4" fan...just in case! ;):)

ChiSquare8:

You mentioned that you were in an aft cabin on Deck 4. Would you mind sharing the cabin #? I have one aft on deck 4 in Dec/Jan.; & I'm going to be a real b***h if it's hot in that cabin. The middle part of my cruise will be in Antarctica; but the beginning & the end will be anything but during the peak of their summer.

I want to thank all the posters on CC for writing about their cruise experiences.

We will be on the Veendam on 8/8 and expect to have a FANTASTIC trip.

It helps to know in advance what issues other cruisers have encountered, so we can prepare. We will TRY not to sweat the small stuff. However, one cruisers small stuff may be a big deal to another.

We will be bringing an extra suitcase so we can pack away any "small stuff" and ignore it, but "no A/C" takes up a lot space.

Sleep deprived and sweat soaked cruisers tend to be cranky cruisers, and the small stuff can start to seem pretty large.

As of this moment our 8/8 cruise to Bermuda Is perfect!

:D

Have a wonderful time.. Please post a review when you return.

What cabin type are you in ?

I want to thank all the posters on CC for writing about their cruise experiences.

It helps to know in advance what issues other cruisers have encountered, so we can prepare. We will TRY not to sweat the small stuff. However, one cruisers small stuff may be a big deal to another.

We will be bringing an extra suitcase so we can pack away any "small stuff" and ignore it, but "no A/C" takes up a lot space.

Sleep deprived and sweat soaked cruisers tend to be cranky cruisers, and the small stuff can start to seem pretty large.

I'll be on the cruise with you. If you see a cranky, tired, sweaty, menopausal woman sleeping in the atrium, that's me!! Seriously, I'm SO looking forward to the cruise and know it's going to be great.

I called and spoke to 2 different people. They said the same to me and that if there is a problem we'd be accomodated. I told them it's all over these boards and it's not a new issue but an existing one.

What a shame.

I called HAL customer service. They stated they have no reports of AC issues on the Veendam. Can you believe it!

Do you think they woud let me bring a window A/C unit on board :)

We cruised Veendam in April from Rio to NYC including 1000 miles down the Amazon. The AC was all over the place (Public areas freezing, our bedroom bariable but thermostat had a mind of its own) and at least one unfortunate couple we met had no AC for at least 1 1/2 weeks (and theirs was a very expensive cabin). We loved the itinerary, but the AC as well as several other maintenance issues, means we won't sail HAL again unless the itinerary is irristable.

Archived