Vancouver Airport, allow time

CALMOM

I thought I would advise anyone who will be flying out of Vancouver Airport to the United States to allow at least allow 2 - 3 hours prior to your flight, to go through checking in and security. Of course, this was during the Alaska Cruise season, so maybe that was an exception. The security at Vancouver airport is extremely strict and even though there was only about 10 passengers in front of us, it took almost 45 minutes. It took about an hour to get through check in, with about 7 passengers in front of us and then 20 minutes for customs. We did have carry on bag with a netbook and cameras, which they had us open up everything, including turning on our netbook.

Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, I felt extremely safe on my flight leaving Canada. I just wanted to warn anyone, who thinks an hour before your flight, will be enough time. You will miss your flight!

I had to laugh because Hulk Hogan was in front of us and they really put him through an extensive check. He had to have a wand and hand pat down, I think he has some metal inside his body :eek:.

Thanks for the first hand report. I am one to ALWAYS say, you need at least 2 hours here, not including getting there. But there will still be posts that will have flights already booked, too early. With them wanting "reassurance" they will make it. No guarantees is there.

There is no question you need to allow a minimum of 2 hrs at YVR during cruise season to clear security and US customs. The security people seem to follow the US TSA regulations to the letter...it always seems faster to me in US airports. You also need to allow a min of 35 mins of drive time to get from downtown Vancouver out to YVR and add an extra 15 to 20 mins to that if going out there during the afternoon commute which can start as early as 2:30 pm. I should add that the Canada Line won't save you a lot of time as you as it will take 26 mins to which you need to add about 10 mins at either end for walking and waiting for a train that is going out to YVR.

It's been several years since I flew out of Vancouver, but my experience was the same. I felt that those custom agents were the most thorough that I've ever encountered.

Our flight leaves at around 1pm in September with only our ship and a much smaller one arriving that day, and I'm still nervous despite plenty of reassurance.

I'm accustomed to allowing the 2 hour window, but I'd feel more comfortable with 3. :)

I felt that those custom agents were the most thorough that I've ever encountered.

QUOTE]

Try flying out of Amsterdam??? You go up to a podium and stand there being interviewed, with a multi page questioner. :)

I felt that those custom agents were the most thorough that I've ever encountered.

QUOTE]

Try flying out of Amsterdam??? You go up to a podium and stand there being interviewed, with a multi page questioner. :)

Maybe they thought that you were smuggling tulips? ;)

There is no question you need to allow a minimum of 2 hrs at YVR during cruise season to clear security and US customs. The security people seem to follow the US TSA regulations to the letter...it always seems faster to me in US airports. You also need to allow a min of 35 mins of drive time to get from downtown Vancouver out to YVR and add an extra 15 to 20 mins to that if going out there during the afternoon commute which can start as early as 2:30 pm. I should add that the Canada Line won't save you a lot of time as you as it will take 26 mins to which you need to add about 10 mins at either end for walking and waiting for a train that is going out to YVR.

It's a bit of an exaggeration saying you need to add 10 mins at the YVR side for the Canada Line, as it adds about 100 feet distance vs a taxi drop off. This photo gives a good idea of the distance from the taxi area to the Skytrain station.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371845702857991362

There is no question you need to allow a minimum of 2 hrs at YVR during cruise season to clear security and US customs. The security people seem to follow the US TSA regulations to the letter......
But our experience departing from YVR to fly to the USA was that they followed the Canadian TSA regulations, not the US regulations. We did not even realize that there are differences between them until one trip leaving YVR when security confiscated some small scissors from my carry-on bag. Those scissors had never drawn any attention or been questioned at airport security before. When I politely (but futilely) pointed out that small scissors are allowed according to the US TSA web site, the security agent responded "We don't care what the US does. This is Canada."

(Turned out he was right. I looked up the Canadian list as soon as I got home and their description was different.)

I do believe that enforcement varies depending on the particular agent you happen to encounter. We had flown out of Calgary with the same scissors in the same carry-on bag only a few months previously with no problem.

But our experience departing from YVR to fly to the USA was that they followed the Canadian TSA regulations, not the US regulations. We did not even realize that there are differences between them until one trip leaving YVR when security confiscated some small scissors from my carry-on bag. Those scissors had never drawn any attention or been questioned at airport security before. When I politely (but futilely) pointed out that small scissors are allowed according to the US TSA web site, the security agent responded "We don't care what the US does. This is Canada."

(Turned out he was right. I looked up the Canadian list as soon as I got home and their description was different.)

I do believe that enforcement varies depending on the particular agent you happen to encounter. We had flown out of Calgary with the same scissors in the same carry-on bag only a few months previously with no problem.

There was a woman who was 96 y/o in the land next to me, she had told me she just celebrated her birthday with her family in Vancouver. The woman's great-granddaughter had made her some homemade jam and they took it from her and then had her go through a wand, hand pat down and was questioned by a TSA worker for about 10 minutes. They also had her empty her entire carry on, which was her medication and a change of underwear. I felt so sorry for her, especially when she started to cry about her jam being taken away and was traveling alone.

I do understand but I think they could of handled the situation with a little less aggression.

Fair warning, if there is something that Canada TSA will not allow, don't attempt it, you too, could get this treatment.

Jam may have been taken away in the U.S. too since it could be considered a liquid. I flew every other month last year. While I feel sorry for people like that, I also try not to be behind them in the security line. I'm pretty good at spotting the type of people whose luggage are going to cause TSA to yell "bag check" and hold up the line! (What part of 3 oz bottle do you know understand?! Do you know how long it takes for a woman to take off 10 snug-fitting rings, 15 bangles, and 4 necklaces?!) Business travelers are the best people to be behind because they know the drill :)

I forgot to say that I thought Vancouver airport was a breeze. We were dropped off by our tour around 11:45 am and our flight was at 2:30 pm. No stress at all. We had lunch in the terminal too. Compare this to our Med cruise and having a 10 am flight out of the Barcelona airport, which was a nightmare!! It really pays to have a later flight. A lot less stress to end your vacation.

There was a woman who was 96 y/o in the land next to me, she had told me she just celebrated her birthday with her family in Vancouver. The woman's great-granddaughter had made her some homemade jam and they took it from her and then had her go through a wand, hand pat down and was questioned by a TSA worker for about 10 minutes. They also had her empty her entire carry on, which was her medication and a change of underwear. I felt so sorry for her, especially when she started to cry about her jam being taken away and was traveling alone.

I do understand but I think they could of handled the situation with a little less aggression.

Fair warning, if there is something that Canada TSA will not allow, don't attempt it, you too, could get this treatment.

I'd like to point out/correct a few things I've noticed in the previous posts

• Canada does not have 'TSA'; it is the CATSA/ACSTA (The English version is the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority, ACSTA is the French name). There are some slight differences between what CATSA and what the TSA allow; visiting the CATSA web site will help clarify that.
  • The checkpoint into the transborder wing at YVR must not only comply with CATSA/ACSTA rules, but there are additional rules that the United States require USA bound flights to follow; such as the zero-carryon rule from earlier this year. As the transborder wing is isolated from the rest of the airport, this particular checkpoint will be more harsh, as there are more rules to handle, vs a domestic, or other international flight/checkpoint at YVR.
  • The limit for liquids/gels, is the same as the US rule, being 100mL (approx 3.5 fl oz). If someone's jar of jam exceeds 100mL it would be impounded by CATSA in the same way it would be impounded by the TSA. In the case that CATSA (or the TSA) impound something from anyone, there's always a little follow up.
  • Lastly, while the jar of jam might have made it past security, it wouldn't have made it past the US CBP officers who are supposed to stop the entry of "... products made from animal or plant materials" http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/border_security/port_activities/agro_inspection/notice_travelers.ctt/notice_travelers.pdf

Lastly, I'm sorry to hear that CATSA were harsh enough to make a great grandmother cry; and I'm pretty sure that the great-grandmother in herself did not pose a huge security threat. However, do you really think that the TSA would have handled it much differently?

I wonder if it depends on if you are going through on the day/time that they would expect cruise traffic vs other times. We flew out the day after our cruise last month and I thought that security was very easy. It took us no longer then 20 mins from the time that we checked in till we were through security, this was around 11:30 on a Tuesday.

Well, in addition to the cruise traffic this time of year, there is currently a big conference in Vancouver, the Joint Statistical Meetings which include the American Statistical Association and thousands of geeks!

But good to know about the caution...

It's a bit of an exaggeration saying you need to add 10 mins at the YVR side for the Canada Line, as it adds about 100 feet distance vs a taxi drop off. This photo gives a good idea of the distance from the taxi area to the Skytrain station.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371845702857991362

This is almost a re-run of a previous post by this poster...granted it may not take a full 10 mins at YVR and maybe it is closer to 5 mins by the time one alights from the train, walks to an elevator, waits for an elevator, waits for a break in the traffic to cross the road in front of the terminal then walks to their check in location. However if originating from Canada Place you need to walk 3 blocks over to Waterfront Station, and if you have just a missed a train to YVR you may have to wait 6 mins so you could easily have burned up 15 mins...for a total of 20 mins and rather then go through all of that detail I simply say allow 10 mins at either end. Nobody I know is that precise.:D

How about time to allow for an 0900 flight to the US on a Sunday ?

If you are arriving on the Sunday morning...you don't have a snowballs chance in you know where.

However if you are spending a night or two in Vancouver post cruise, a 0900 flight time is going to put you well ahead of the cruise mob...but still be out at YVR by 0700. The first train of the Canada Line starts at 0450 so there is no issue there just be sure that you allow time to get to the station, the wait for the train, the 26 min ride and then the walk to the check in counter of your airline. If going by cab allow 35 mins but that early on a Sunday morning you will likely do it in about 25 mins.

"The checkpoint into the transborder wing at YVR must not only comply with CATSA/ACSTA rules, but there are additional rules that the United States require USA bound flights to follow; such as the zero-carryon rule from earlier this year."

Wow! I didn't know we could not have a carry-on on our brief flight from YVR to Seattle. Where did you see this? The Air Canada web site says - All destinations Carry-on baggage allowance: 1 standard article and 1 personal article

Thanks.

"The checkpoint into the transborder wing at YVR must not only comply with CATSA/ACSTA rules, but there are additional rules that the United States require USA bound flights to follow; such as the zero-carryon rule from earlier this year."

I'm confused by this ... we fly Vancouver to Chicago, so does that mean we can't have ANY carry-on bags? What about flights from the US to Canada? No carry-ons there either? :confused:

Does anyone have clear information about this?

Thanks!

Someone has picked up some really old information about carry on bags allowed or not allowed on flights out of Canada.

For the best information consult your own airline's WEB site.

In any case standard amounts of carry on baggage are allowed on flights out of Canada at this time.

I'm confused by this ... we fly Vancouver to Chicago, so does that mean we can't have ANY carry-on bags? What about flights from the US to Canada? No carry-ons there either? :confused:

Does anyone have clear information about this?

Thanks!

No, you can have carry ons. This was a rule imposed by the United States earlier this year, and it's now been dropped. I was trying to make the point that security at the transborder wing has to follow CATSA and USA rules, and hence could be stricter, and the carry on rule was a good example (albeit now expired)

Thanks for the clarification. I also queried CATSA & they were very prompt with their answer (also clarifying that carry-ons are okay, but it is really at the discretion of the air carrier).

Archived