Which Princess cruise would you take and why?

JanetAlice

I am trying to decide between two cruises. Here are the ports. Both are on the Crown Princess.

London (Southampton), England

Paris/Normandy (Le Havre), France

Edinburgh (South Queensferry), Scotland

Inverness/Loch Ness (Invergordon), Scotland

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland

Liverpool, England

Dublin, Ireland

Cobh, Ireland Edinburgh

Guernsey (St. Peter Port), England

London (Southampton), England

or

London

Guernsey (St. Peter Port),

Holyhead, Wales

Dublin, Ireland

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland (for Military Tattoo)

Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland

Kirkwall (Orkney Islands), Scotland

Edinburgh (South Queensferry), Scotland

Paris/Normandy (Le Havre), France London (Southampton), England

I would pick the second one for one primary reason: the Tattoo. Also, I would much rather visit Holyhead and the Orkneys than Cobh and Liverpool.

However, I'm a little confused by "Cobh, Ireland, Edinburgh" -- is that a copy/paste failure or more of Princess's peculiar geography?!

Seriously, both sound good but if you have the opportunity to see the Tattoo, take it. It's amazing.

This is a great itnerary that I would like to do in 3-4 years. I would pick the first option and ask Princess if I could do my final disembarcation at Le Havre and the spend 2 to 3 days in Paris. With option two, Paris is a non-starter since Le Havre to Paris is three hours each way and I wouldn't want to be on a train/bus six hours in a day for a couple of hours in Paris.

This is a great itnerary that I would like to do in 3-4 years. I would pick the first option and ask Princess if I could do my final disembarcation at Le Havre and the spend 2 to 3 days in Paris. With option two, Paris is a non-starter since Le Havre to Paris is three hours each way and I wouldn't want to be on a train/bus six hours in a day for a couple of hours in Paris.

Yes, but it's easy enough to get from London to Paris once you disembark the ship on either itinerary.

As you've embarked at a non-Schengen Agreement country and if you disembark in Le Havre as your final destination, France is a Schengen Agreement country and you'd have to go through Customs and Immigration. While I'm sure Le Havre has the ability to do Customs and Immigration, I don't know if the pier where the Crown docks has that ability or whether Princess would arrange for officials to do it for one or two passengers. It's so easy to get from London to Paris, I'd either do a pre-cruise in Paris or go there after disembarkation in Southampton.

To the OP, you have a tough choice because both itineraries are great. If one gives you the option of going to the Tattoo, that's the one I'd take. I did the British Isles cruise on the Crown last summer and it was so port-intensive that we got very tired before the end of the cruise. If it were me, I'd take the cruise that didn't have a port a day.

As you've embarked at a non-Schengen Agreement country and if you disembark in Le Havre as your final destination, France is a Schengen Agreement country and you'd have to go through Customs and Immigration. While I'm sure Le Havre has the ability to do Customs and Immigration, I don't know if the pier where the Crown docks has that ability or whether Princess would arrange for officials to do it for one or two passengers. It's so easy to get from London to Paris, I'd either do a pre-cruise in Paris or go there after disembarkation in Southampton.

To the OP, you have a tough choice because both itineraries are great. If one gives you the option of going to the Tattoo, that's the one I'd take. I did the British Isles cruise on the Crown last summer and it was so port-intensive that we got very tired before the end of the cruise. If it were me, I'd take the cruise that didn't have a port a day.

Someone on the ports of call boards suggested they did this with Royal Caribbean. I guess when the time comes for me to book a BI itinerary, I'll ask both lines. London to Paris may be so easy. I am so sure Paris to Southampton (without a transfer) is so easy. I really wish they would stop referring to Le Havre as "Paris".

Thanks for all the input and the suggestion to get off at LaHarve and visit Paris. We are going to Paris for spring break for a week in March so we will probably just continue on. It seems like the Tattoo is the deciding factor. Though I will miss Liverpool, (I grew up during Beatlemania) that will have to wait for another time. Regarding at seas days. there is one, right before we arrive at LaHavre.

I did the D-Day Normandy battlefields last summer and it was one of the most moving experiences ever. That's something I'd like to do again and spend more time there. I was there in 1960 but as a teenager, didn't appreciate the region and historical significance. I regret that.

I too would choose the second one. In fact we were looking at both those itineraries for next year but have decided to do something else instead.

I love visiting the far off islands of Scotland so that is the reason for choosing number two. We have already been to the Shetland Islands so that visiting the Orkneys would be a plus for us.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Jennie

Archived