Buy now or wait

cruising to paradise

We are cruising in early January on Liberty of the Seas.I have been looking at airfare. We can fly out of Midway or O'Hare, we prefer O'Hare because it is closer to our home. On the website farecompare it says to buy now because the price will probably go up. I'm not real happy with the price but don't want to pay more. I am debating whether to buy or not. It's still pretty early. What do you think?:confused:

I don't think 5 months is particularly early. Also, as the summer ends, I think demand will go up, pushing fares up. I have been watching fares SFO-FLL, planning for Dec 2011. They have actually gone up as the days draw closer, using Dec 2010 as a model.

I would buy now. If it happens to go down, I doubt it will be a large amount, or convinent to your travel.

I suspect that farecompare does not include Southwest Airlines in their projections. Even though it departs from Midway and only goes to Ft. Lauderdale, how do their prices compare to what you are finding elsewhere?

No one knows what airline prices are going to do so there is always the possiblity of finding lesser priced tickets but the advise you saw is good advise IMO. The legacy carriers have had tickets available for abt 6 months already and many of the lowest priced farebuckets are likely already sold so it really isn't early at this point. I'd be booking and not waiting too much longer but that's me.

We are cruising in early January on Liberty of the Seas.I have been looking at airfare. We can fly out of Midway or O'Hare, we prefer O'Hare because it is closer to our home. On the website farecompare it says to buy now because the price will probably go up. I'm not real happy with the price but don't want to pay more. I am debating whether to buy or not. It's still pretty early. What do you think?:confused:

As others have said it is not too early to book.

Depending on when you are going (after the holiday rush) there could be a drop in price but that depends when in January you are going. Regardless, what I try to do is to find a reasonable price and once I am comfortable with that I book the flight. Most times I end up in the ball park.

You didn't ask but don't fly in the day of the cruise. Too much risk with delays and cancellations which can cause you to miss the ship.

Keith

It certainly isn't too early to book. I just confirmed my late Feb., early Mar. 2011 vacation and haven't had the time to check flights yet. Once I find a schedule and price that I like, I'll be booking right away. One less thing to worry about.

We are sailing the first part of January and I just booked our flights yest for the 5 of us - it seems it just kept inching up so I just did it - but now I will not check it again because if it should go down I would kick myself HA HA

Really, trying to predict how air fares are going to go is like picking the triacter in the 4th race at Santa Anita not even knowing the names of the horses let alone their track records. If it seems reasonable, buy it now

Archived