Alaska Inside Passage route???

Can anyone tell me where I can find the actual route a ship (for me, Radiance) will take for this cruise??? I see the little maps shown on the RCCI website, but its pretty much for ports and not for sailings.

I'm just curious as to how the ship gets from one place to the other. You know, which of the hundreds of Islands out there does it pass to the east or to the west??? My wife thinks I'm "nerdy" for asking, but hey, I like looking at Google Earth and picturing my trip!!!!

Can anyone tell me where I can find the actual route a ship (for me, Radiance) will take for this cruise??? I see the little maps shown on the RCCI website, but its pretty much for ports and not for sailings.

I'm just curious as to how the ship gets from one place to the other. You know, which of the hundreds of Islands out there does it pass to the east or to the west??? My wife thinks I'm "nerdy" for asking, but hey, I like looking at Google Earth and picturing my trip!!!!

Did the insides last year, and the only thing I can tell you is that it must be narrow. If the ship is stuck behind other ships (and they can be slower), they have to ask permission to the other ships to allow them too pass. Radiance is a pretty fast ship, so I hope you don't get stuck behind HAL ships. They wouldn't let us pass last year :eek:, while Celebrity did.:rolleyes:

Cindy

Your basic route will be between the mainland and the islands. At times you will be surprised on how close you are to both sides. Last year we had an aft cabin on the ship and you could see three other ships behind us going up the passage.

The captain announced the route that we were taking when we left port. A couple of times we changed course because of whale sighting and he was trying to get us closer. You can buy books about Alaskan cruising that has pull out maps. We put ours up in the room and traced the route as best that we could. We got our books before hand to study up on Alaska but they did sell them on the ship.

Captains have a lot of descretion as to which exact route. As noted there are manyside passages between islands. A lot depends on ship size and tide status at the time. Some passages develop extremely strong currents if a large area drains through a narrow passage but inthe hour or two before and just after high tide can be fine. On our HAL cruise the Captain seemed very adventerous and while being followed by a larger X ship diverted into a very narrow passage for most of the day - the X ship could not go there due to size. Seemed like we could reach out and touch the passing shore as waterfalls and trees full of eagles slid by. Water was mirror calm. Later after we rejoined the main passage we saw same X ship in distance behind us again.

So it might not be possible to determine route in advance. One route thing that seems pretty typical is for R/T routes out of Seattle or Vancouver. These seem to return (or sometimes go north) as a sea day speed run outside Vancouver Is. where the water can be a little rough compared to the sheltered IP. I've seen itinerary maps that are not real clear about this.

The great thing about the Radiance cruise is that it takes you on the true inside passage all the way, whereas the Seattle cruises don't. On the Radiance, you go in-between Vancouver Island and the mainland, where there is scenery on both sides, as above, and the seas are calmer. The Seattle cruises go up in the Pacific, where you really can't see any scenery until you get to port.

The great thing about the Radiance cruise is that it takes you on the true inside passage all the way, whereas the Seattle cruises don't. On the Radiance, you go in-between Vancouver Island and the mainland, where there is scenery on both sides, as above, and the seas are calmer. The Seattle cruises go up in the Pacific, where you really can't see any scenery until you get to port.

So looking forward to the Radiance - inside passage. We don't want to miss anything. Thanks for posting. :)

So looking forward to the Radiance - inside passage. We don't want to miss anything. Thanks for posting. :)

Welcome to Vancouver in advance! I will actually be touring the Radiance on the 13th. If you see a bartender named Milton Haughton from Jamaica, tell him MD says hi. He named a drink after me, and it was called the MD. ;)

One exception to the general rule of thumb on ships sailing out of Seattle was the Celebrity Infinity. We sailed on her out of Seattle last year and we went through the inside passage northbound on the east side of the Vancouver Island. Only when we came back south were we on the west side.

We just moved from Alaska, and having spent much time on the Prince William Sound I can tell you so much is dependent on glacial conditions- even the state highway system (ferry) which one would think would have a set run always- varies depending where ice is flowing into the sound. The glacier activity is strongest in summer as that when melt occurs, so I imagine it must impact cruise travel the same way it impacts ferry travel.

Do you need to prebook your tickets from home for the Ice Show? Do you need to prebook anything else from home with the exception of speciality dinner restaurants. Thanks.

I think that you have posted your question on the wrong thread, but when we were on Navigator this Spring, no tickets were distributed for the Ice Show and even on ships where tickets were given out, anyone without tickets could be admitted just before the show began depending on availability of seats. In most instances there are still empty seats after everyone with tickets has been admitted.:)

We just moved from Alaska, and having spent much time on the Prince William Sound I can tell you so much is dependent on glacial conditions- even the state highway system (ferry) which one would think would have a set run always- varies depending where ice is flowing into the sound. The glacier activity is strongest in summer as that when melt occurs, so I imagine it must impact cruise travel the same way it impacts ferry travel.

We will be in Alaska and thinking about doing the prince william sound glacier tour before our cruise - is it worth it since we will be getting on our ship that same day and going to see glaciers anyway?

On our cruise I remember seeing a map on the wall near the Purser's desk with the route taken. It was updated daily with a marker or highlighter as I recall. I know that doesn't help you at this moment, but I would think that the route should be available if you find the right person to ask.

Archived