"stealing " with the beverage package

CLEMM

What if maybe I did not take just a sip. DW got the drink for herself-that was her intent. When she lay down on the lounge, she put the drink down to get her book. I pounced and drank half of it (being the inconsiderate and selfish DH that I am). I even complained that there was no lemon in the Coke after being found out (in an unsuccessful attempt to change the subject).

Would she have to do the time because she did the crime or would lack of intent let her off the hook? Don't forget, we could be in international waters.

She's innocent. You're the drink desperado for chugging without permission. This way to the plank, good sir.

Raising hand... I'll take it. :D Even with their lack of non-smoking balcony cabins you can't argue with a free cruise.

Hint for you: If you don't like Party, Party, Drink, Drink.. get up before the sun rises and go to bed by 11ish. And avoid the pool with the contests. If you follow those simple rules you can have a great time on a Carnival cruise. Well... unless you're a HUGE snob, then I can't help you. But the thing I like about Celebrity snobs, is they have the money to back it up. Royal Caribbean you find more faux snobs. They don't earn any more than Carnival guests but they think they're better. :D JMO, of course.

Sorry Paul&Fran but there are just too many things about Carnival that left such a bad taste in my mouth I just wouldn't do that line again. I just wouldn't want to spend my time avoiding behaviour that I find revolting. I'm blessed to be able to afford what I want and I'm beyond that point in life where I need to compromise. :cool:

I am very neutral on this topic because people are going to do what they want to anyway. However I do have one point and I do not mean to get people upset but I want you to consider the following.

If people on the cruise eat too much, could that increase crusie fare prices or is that factored into the price? How about that person at the buffet that has plates and plates of food and doesn't eat it and leaves it behind for trash. Or the person who order 10 breakfasts to their stateroom for 2 people. Should we increase the price because some cruisers eat too much?

We can go on and on regarding this but people are going to do what they would like anyway. It may not make it right but its not our business. Maybe the drink packages should have a daily cap with a more afforadable price.

Like I said, I dont have an opinion but would like other to consider all perspectives before calling people criminals.

Apparently its only stealing if it is your money. If it is the cruiseline's money it doesn't matter. Sigh. It will be interesting to see what Celebrity's definition of stealing is when someone is caught. I would think at the very least the person would be required to pay for the drink. At the very worst...... we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Aye, to ye plank, me mate!

I am very neutral on this topic because people are going to do what they want to anyway. However I do have one point and I do not mean to get people upset but I want you to consider the following.

If people on the cruise eat too much, could that increase crusie fare prices or is that factored into the price? How about that person at the buffet that has plates and plates of food and doesn't eat it and leaves it behind for trash. Or the person who order 10 breakfasts to their stateroom for 2 people. Should we increase the price because some cruisers eat too much?

We can go on and on regarding this but people are going to do what they would like anyway. It may not make it right but its not our business. Maybe the drink packages should have a daily cap with a more afforadable price.

Like I said, I dont have an opinion but would like other to consider all perspectives before calling people criminals.

The very nature of an all-inclusive or "all-you-can-eat-or-drink" program means that there will be some waste as you described. Of course, it would be best if people went by the motto, "Take all you want, eat all you take," but there's an average amount of waste that's taken into account. They know from past experience that X number of cruisers will consume (and waste) Y amount of food, and plan accordingly. In effect, prices are, in fact, higher because some cruisers eat or waste too much.

The problem there is how to police it. Unless the cruise line hires everyone's mother to admonish, "Clean your plate," it's not going to happen. It would take too much away from the traditional cruise experience of having a veritable cornucopia if the Food Police were around every corner, saying, "You gonna eat all that?" The issue is avoided by simply saying that wasting food is unfortunate but allowable. The saving grace is that excessive waste, such as ten breakfasts for two people, is the rare exception.

With an unlimited drink package, there's a similar mentality, so you get someone who orders a drink and does not finish it, for whatever reason. But the drink package can only be purchased by one person at a time, or is limited unless the premium package is purchased, so there's the opportunity for people to obtain drinks that they're not entitled to. If the dining options included ala carte pricing for meals and an unlimited "food package," we'd be discussing the evils of sharing food.

Guy walks into a bar. There is a prominently displayed sign above the bar: All you can drink $5.00. Guy orders a martini and pays the $5.00. After he finishes and asks for his second, bartender asks for another $5.00. "But the sign says, 'All you can drink..,' " the guy complains. "Well, That's all you can drink," the bartender replies.

Wow, must be a slow day if we are contemplating "stealing" way over priced drinks on a cruise line.

There are a couple of points in this thread:

1. The moral argument for/against stealing

2. The practical argument of what if.. and is THIS ok....

3. The jokesters who just wanna have some fun...

What HASN'T been discussed is the penalty phase!

Lethal injection of alcohol....

I put myself in all three categories, so I may as well go for the fourth--

People often bring up the old chestnut of walking the plank, myself included. Whatever happened to keelhauling (AKA the original "waterboarding")? Forty lashes? Having your rum allotment withheld? Oh, wait, that's exactly what we're talking about, isn't it:D?

Seriously, I would take this approach, were I in charge of such things-- if we catch them before they can sneak a drink, we'll tell them they must pay for the drink. (Someone mentioned that the response, when asked if it would be okay, just one time, was "I'm sorry, but no.") Otherwise, don't make a big stink, causing hard feelings. Possibly tell them, when they return for another drink, "Sir, I noticed that you gave the last drink I poured for you to the lady, there. Just a reminder, with the drink package, there's not to be any sharing. The lady is welcome, of course, to purchase her drink separately, or perhaps she would like to purchase the drink package, too?" If they continue to abuse the policy, warn them that they risk forfeiting the drink package, and if it continues, take the sticker off their SeaPass card.

Anyone with any tales of getting caught?

One comment...

I'm totally blown away with the level of civility with this discussion. Although Diamond+ on RCCL, I just took my first cruise on Celebrity (which was great!). I note this because in the past I have spent more time on the Carnival and RCCL boards.

Issues of smuggling arise all the time on those boards and anyone who dares to suggest that it is "wrong" will be castigated. Name calling is more the response than rational discussion.

That's why I applaud the Celebrity Board and especially this thread. While folks disagree, the discussion has been virtually free of the mean spirtedness which seems to be prevalent on the other boards.

One comment...

I'm totally blown away with the level of civility with this discussion. Although Diamond+ on RCCL, I just took my first cruise on Celebrity (which was great!). I note this because in the past I have spent more time on the Carnival and RCCL boards.

Issues of smuggling arise all the time on those boards and anyone who dares to suggest that it is "wrong" will be castigated. Name calling is more the response than rational discussion.

That's why I applaud the Celebrity Board and especially this thread. While folks disagree, the discussion has been virtually free of the mean spirtedness which seems to be prevalent on the other boards.

Don't patronize me! Get your bonckin' bozo 'King of Queens' 'tude back to the RCCL and Carny boards! Jeez!

[Time out] Excuse me... Waiter! I want a froo-froo drink and get a double martini over to the toddler in the diaps in the spa over there - chop chop! Here's my package card!]:D

Don't patronize me! Get your bonckin' bozo 'King of Queens' 'tude back to the RCCL and Carny boards! Jeez!

There are only two types of people in this world...

Those who live in Queens and those who wished they lived in Queens!:D

Guy walks into a bar. There is a prominently displayed sign above the bar: All you can drink $5.00. Guy orders a martini and pays the $5.00. After he finishes and asks for his second, bartender asks for another $5.00. "But the sign says, 'All you can drink..,' " the guy complains. "Well, That's all you can drink," the bartender replies.

Emile, thank you for bringing some humor to this "beat to death" subject! :p Between you and me, I feel certain that anyone choosing to "steal" a drink is perfectly fine with it and no one's opinion, judgment or tongue lashing is going to change their mind. We all know Celebrity is making a killing on the drink prices so I guess people feel somewhat justified. I'm more outraged by people that don't tip the staff!

There are only two types of people in this world...

Those who live in Queens and those who wished they lived in Queens!:D

There are only three types of people in this world.

1. Those who can do math..

2. Those who can't do math...

[Time out] Excuse me... Waiter! I want a froo-froo drink and get a double martini over to the toddler in the diaps in the spa over there - chop chop! Here's my package card!]:D

Too funny.....:):):)

Bob

Emile, thank you for bringing some humor to this "beat to death" subject! :p Between you and me, I feel certain that anyone choosing to "steal" a drink is perfectly fine with it and no one's opinion, judgment or tongue lashing is going to change their mind. We all know Celebrity is making a killing on the drink prices so I guess people feel somewhat justified. I'm more outraged by people that don't tip the staff!

Hi Lynn. Funny meeting you here... - E

OK, one more idea. What if I have a Premium Alcohol package and hubby has a Classic Alcohol package. One night his wine is over the $8.00 limit for the Classic but my wine is under the $8.00 limit. Are we "legal" ? Also, do I understand correctly that you cannot get a latte with the Classic Package, either the Alcoholpackage or the non-Alcohol package???? OK, thanks for your responses !

Archived