Best way to see Sorrento & Amalfi

misslissa

I'm looking for any feedback on the best way of seeing Sorrento & Amalfi. I have booked the RCL Sorrento & Amalfi Drive excursion and this sounds like what I am looking for, but I am discouraged at the fact that it passes Positano, I would like to stop there.

Any thoughts and/or feedback?

You should book a driver with the Rome in Limo company. We just got back and had them booked for 3 Italy stops. You can customize where you want to go and what you would like to see. They are so nice and helpful and are so knowledgable. We drove the Amalfi coast, stopped at Sorrento for shopping and lunch, went to Positano. Had a wonderful day and the only way to see it all. I would highly recommend Rome In Limo company.

I have posted this info many times, but it never gets old. Tour buses are simply not permitted to enter into Positano which has only one main street (its one-way). The big tour buses are forced to stay on the Amalfi Drive which is above the city and the tourists only get a glance at the town without having any of the fun browsing shops, eating at a cafe, etc. The only way to get into Positano and really visit is to either have your own car, hire a car/driver or a van, or take the local or SITA bus. This is one reason why we think that so-called Amalfi Coast Tours (offered by most cruise lines) are very misleading and often do not disclose this fact. They will usually say something like "you will get to see Positano" which is exactly right.....you will get to see it but not enter it!

Hank

It doesn't have to be Rome in Limo either. There are other tour companies local to the are who will provide quality tours for less and all you are really looking for is transportation. The local tour companies will get that done for you for less. One is mentioned above. We used AP Tours out of Sorrento and others on our roll call found other local companies.

We used Amalfi Coast Destinations last November, the last day of our cruise and it was fantastic. You never get tired of seeing the Amalfi Coast! Roberto, who owns the company, was our driver/guide and was the same in 2007 when we were there for the first time. He drove into all the cities and up into the mountains where we had lunch in a fantastic local restaurant over looking the Med. There were some in our group that where looking to buy music boxes in Sorrento and he took us to the factory where they make them and then on to a fabulous ceramics store. What a fabulous way to end a fabulous cruise. There were eight of us in the van.

There are many good companies to choose from but we are real fans of Rome in Limo. We used them last year in three ports in Italy and just last month we had a great two days with them in Rome. One of last year's tours was the Amalfi Coast out of Naples. We left early in the morning, had plenty of time in Poisitano before heading for great seaside lunch (we could choose wherever we wanted ... overlooking the town, at the sea, where ever) in Sorrento. Then we had time to explore Sorrento for while before heading to Pompeii for a few hours. While that may not have been enough time for some in Pompeii, we thought it gave us a real feel of this historic site. We were really glad we went. We stopped for lots of photo-ops as we drove along the amazing Amalfi Coast. Some say it's the world's best road trip. It was a spectacular day!! I think Rome in Limo has the service and style (I always use those two words purposely) that always makes us very happy we've chosen them. It feels like you're being shown the country by a "proud family member" rather than a driver/guide. Enjoy your trip!!!

We used AP Tours as well, went from Naples to Pompeii first, and then back around through Ravello, Positano, and Sorrento. It was great having a private car and driver. We then took the ferry back from Sorrento to Naples.

Any of these tours - no matter which company you choose - is not going to be cheap. If you can get a big group of 8 together on a roll call, it would help to absorb the cost.

On our ferry ride back to Naples, we met some people from our boat that had done Positano and Sorrento completely on their own by using the ferries at a fraction of the cost. You'd miss out on the actual driving, but it still does allow you lots of time in the towns.

It doesn't have to be Rome in Limo either. There are other tour companies local to the are who will provide quality tours for less and all you are really looking for is transportation. The local tour companies will get that done for you for less. One is mentioned above. We used AP Tours out of Sorrento and others on our roll call found other local companies.

Not sure what you mean by "local" tour company. RomeInLimo tours all local areas. We've toured with three companies in Italy and RIL was the est one we've used.

How much are you spending total? If it is approaching 500 or so euros you can get a far better experience doing a private vehicle and with 3 or 4 other people the price can drop to 100euros or so per person, far cheaper then what I think the cruiseline tours in a big bus will offer.

Best of luck,

I'm looking for any feedback on the best way of seeing Sorrento & Amalfi. I have booked the RCL Sorrento & Amalfi Drive excursion and this sounds like what I am looking for, but I am discouraged at the fact that it passes Positano, I would like to stop there.

Any thoughts and/or feedback?

last time we were there we used Rome in Limo and went from Pompeii to Positano--this time we are of course booking Rome in limo and going with different people, so we are going to Positano again-so beautiful-and also to Sorrento. Customizing a private tour for yourself is definitely to your advantage. You can use whatever company you research and choose-We used Romeinlimo, had a fantastic experience a couple of years ago, and immediately booked them again for our three cities in Italy this trip-knowing their service is a sure thing-made it very easy for us to decide. We are customizing in Livorno and Rome with them as well. Good luck with your trip!

I did this with a group of 10 and had no problems - it worked like a charm and was inexpensive - and a lot of fun

• Take the fast ferry which is right outside the cruise port to Sorrento.

There is one that leaves at 9AM and gets to Sorrento by 9:30. The ferry is 10E.

· When you get off the hydrofoil, buy a combined bus/train ticket to Pompeii and then get on a bus that takes you to the top of the hill to the train station

· Spend the morning walking around Sorrento and have lunch

Most of the stores (except for the real touristy shops) will close in Sorrento from about 1pm - 4pm

· Catch the 12:30 (or there abouts) train to Pompeii. The train to Pompeii runs every half hour.

· Get off at Pompeii Scavi stop

Walk about 5 minutes to the entrance to Pompeii

Have cash to pay for the train tickets and the entrance to the excavations

NOTE: There is an ATM machine right by the ticket window at Pompeii

There generally are licensed guides waiting by the ticket window if you wish to pay for a guided tour.

Or, there are also audio guides available.

Even if you take a guided tour, be sure to pick up the free map and guide booklet. They contain a lot of information about the site and make a great souvenir.

· Spend three hours in Pompeii

· Take the train back to Naples. (about 40 minute ride)

When back in Naples at the train station, buy tram tickets and cross the street to take the #1 tram back to the ship if you don’t feel like walking OR

If we have time and a good map we might take a walking tour of Naples on the way back to the ship.

Notes about ferries to Sorrento

· The ferry terminal is a very short walk from the cruise piers and you will see ferry pier immediately to your left as you exit the cruise port area... we are talking a 5 - 10 min stroll from the ship.

· When you get to the ferry pier you will see several ticket windows and they will have the schedules of their particular lines over the windows (there are several different lines).

· Keep in mind that there are ferries (large slower boats that can take cars, trucks, etc) and the higher speed hydrofoils and/or jet boats which are generally about twice as fast as the slower ferries and have a higher fare (worth every Euro).

· Although you can find some schedules on the internet, you might not find all the schedules and they are not always accurate. My best advice would be to simply leave the ship as soon as possible in the morning and walk over to the ferry terminal.

· Check the schedule boards for the various lines and simply buy your ticket on the next boat.

· You do not need a reservation (they do not even take reservations on most of the boats) and we have never seen a boat sold-out.

· If you would be unhappy with the boat schedule you would still have the option to grab a taxi (or walk the 1 1/3 mile) to the train station and grab the Circumvesuviania Line to Sorrento

You can do it on your own :)

Last week we went with Rome in Limo to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. There were six of us so splitting the cost made it affordable and it was completely hassle free and lots of fun. I am a big fan of finding my own way and usually do that when traveling in Europe, but with limited time in ports there's a beauty to using time efficiently. And after traveling several days independently it was nice to let someone else worry about the logistics. So an independent tour worked for us, but might not suit your needs. Others have supplied some great information so you have some good options. Good luck planning a day that will be just right for you.

I agree with Melissa... with limited time in port, I think private tours are the way to go in most ports. Especially a port like Naples. I have taken a tour with Romeinlimo in that port on a few occasions. The public transport is a real hassle there and I love the Amalfi coast. I have found that the full day tours on ships are JUST as expensive as a full day private tour with 4 people. It's a no brainer in my opinion. AND, I have never heard of one person missing the ship with Romeinlimo.

Have a great cruise! I am still trying to choose mine for next year. Decisions decisions...

Returned home 2 weeks ago from a wonderful Med cruise on Pacific Princess. We had a private tour with Johnny's Tour (www.johnnystourse.com) of Amalfi, Positano and Ravello. Johnny was our driver and this turned out to be the highlight of our trip. As has been posted, the shore excursion from the ship does the Amalfi drive but doesn't stop in Positano. It also would have cost $450 for the 3 of us. Having Johnny drive us was a lot less expensive and we actually got to go to Positano and Ravello. As it turned Ravello was our fovorite. Beautiful view and no way near as crowed as Amalfi or Positano. Johnny took us to a family owned restaurant in Ravello where many locals were dining. What a great experience. Warm, friendly people and great food. Highly recommend Johnny.

Archived