Celebrity equinox 5/2/11

howndder

Hi all looking for FOD's on this fabulous transatlantic in 2011. This is Howard from Sunny and warm Ft. Lauderdale.

There are four of us so far in our group. We live in the four different time zones and three from the US and one from Canada.

I just got off this wonderful ship last Friday, and I can't wait to cruise on her again. She is easily my favorite ship!

Greg

Hi Greg and welcome to you and your group, looking forward to meeting all of you in May. Where in Colorado do you live? Have you done many Celebrity cruises? This will be my 12th, I think, including 6 Trans-Atlantics. I just love those sea days. I am also nervous because of her size. I usually don't travel on this large of a ship. What were some of your favorite things about her?

Howard

I am from Denver. The others in our group are from Vancouver, BC, Mobile, AL, and the DC area.

I have done about 5 Celebrity, with the Infinity in three weeks! and the Solstice in early December coming up.

I can't wait to sail on the Equinox again! I loved the Aqua Spa Cafe for a healthy meal, Bistro on Five for yummy crepes, the Tsucan Grill, the loads of space, the comfortable chairs all over the ship, the size and layout of the buffet, the bowls of fresh fruit. This ship was sold out, but never felt crowded.

The Equinox had two little things that I appreciated in the bathroom. If you closed the shower door after you left it, the mirror did not fog up. And, the bathroom had a night lite. Nice touches. And this ship has many, many nice touches.

Greg

A night light, really? I always bring one because at my age, one has to, how shall I say it, go in the middle of the night. That is faboosh. I have friends in Centennial, are you near that? Looking forward to a great crossing.

Howard

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all looking for FOD's on this fabulous transatlantic in 2011. This is Howard from Sunny and warm Ft. Lauderdale.

Well I am delighted to know that we've already got our own roll call. My partner and I are booked on this cruise and then continuing on a back-to-back Rome-Istanbul-Rome on the 16th.

We're both from Vancouver BC and are relatively new to cruising as you can see from the signature block. It's going to be great to meet all of you on board.

(and as you can see it's a while since I last did a TA!) :)

Hey everyone, Anthony here, and my partner Robert will be on this TA cruise.

We are both 49 and live in Philadelphia, although we are originally from NYC.

We are both fortunate to be retired, so we cruise ALOT. We have done a fall crossing last yr on the Solstice, and LOVED the ship. The Martini Bar was a defacto gay bar for the whole cruise, while the disco saw almost noone after the first couple of nts (Let's not let that happen on this cruise).

We will also be on a TA on the Century in October, as well as a Caribbean cruise on the Oasis this month.

Hello Anthony and Robert and "Flying Dragon", who-ever you might really be (names would be nice), and welcome to the role call. Vancouver is one of my favorite cities and allways love cruising from her. We've done 2 trans-Pacific crossing from Vancouver. We too are doing another crossing this November on Azamara Journey. First time on that line but believe that she is an upscale version of Celebrity. BTW, Philadelphia is also right up there on my best city list. The 9th St. Market is fan-tas-tic!!!! Yummy. Not terribly big on "Cheese steaks", but give me an Italien Market, oh boy oh boy. Looking forward to meeting you all next year.

Howard

Hello Anthony and Robert and "Flying Dragon", who-ever you might really be (names would be nice), and welcome to the role call.

Howard

Hello Howard. Yes sorry, I tend to forget that it's the alias that is going into the "from" field. My name is Adrian and my partner's name is Ed. He retired a couple of years ago and I plan to do the same the year after next - retirement looks like too much fun! We enjoyed a three day stay in Fort Lauderdale last year before our Panama cruise - stayed at the Cabanas in Wilton Manors and thoroughly enjoyed it. The canals are so attractive and so we're going to do the same thing next year.

Well, no an official welcome to Adrian and Ed. Yes, retirement is a great deal of fun. And, when someone asks me if I ever get bored, I tell them, "I just take a nap", and when it's over, so is my boredom. Ta...da!!! I know the Cabanas. I lived with my ex for 10 years in Wilton Manors and now I live 4 blocks away in Ft. lauderdale. I still go to the gym and the clubs there.

If you have any further questions about Wilton Manors, ask away. I have lived in South Florida for more the 35 years now.

Howard

Well, no an official welcome to Adrian and Ed. Yes, retirement is a great deal of fun. And, when someone asks me if I ever get bored, I tell them, "I just take a nap", and when it's over, so is my boredom. Ta...da!!! I know the Cabanas. I lived with my ex for 10 years in Wilton Manors and now I live 4 blocks away in Ft. lauderdale. I still go to the gym and the clubs there.

If you have any further questions about Wilton Manors, ask away. I have lived in South Florida for more the 35 years now.

Howard

Hello Howard:

Well, thank you for the warm welcome. I know I won't get bored with retirement and Ed certainly seems to be more occupied now than he ever was and is enjoying it. We didn't get much of a chance to go much beyond the Cabanas and the beach nearby last year, so we're planning to do some more exploring this next year. We'd be delighted to chat some more about the area - we really enjoyed being there before the cruise and want to see more of it - our photos of canoeing on the canals are a delightful part of our holiday there. It would be great to say hello prior to the cruise.

Regards ............ Adrian

• 2 months later...

Hi Denver Cruiser...

Don't know if u remember me from Ruby Roll Call T/A 2010 ?.. I got volcano'd and couldnt make it at the last minute as Princess cancelled my trip.

I finally got on Adventure of the Seas and had a great trip with over 60 fod's....

Am now looking at this trip for 2011 ... similar route to Ruby last year!!!

Jonathan

Hi JonAlone, We were amazingly lucky last spring, with regards to the volcanoes. When wer arrived in Lisbon, the flights were flying. Just dumb luck on our part. AND, the flight wasn't full at all.

Just got back from the Azamara Journey, 2 weeks from Rome. If you want to read my review, it's on the main Azamara page. What I didn't review, of course is the FODs on board. It was wonderful. There were about 40 of us, out of 530 and ladies and gents from all over. Several friends of friends, as well. They annouced our group in the daily newsletter, and except for a couple of small mishaps, we were well taken care of. Their "Cruise Director", is not to be believed. I mean that in the nicest possible ways.

Adrian, "The Green Hopper", in Wilton Manors, is for sale and may not be operating when you get there. However, we've all heard a new "Gay Resort", somethinng called the "G", is going up on 26th st, just up the road from "The Cabans". Just thought you'd like to know.

Hope everyone has a great holiday,

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Howard: I think I met you and your friends on the Celebrity Century crossing two years ago. I live in Ft Lauderdale also and am looking forward to this cruise. I am also going on RCCL's Brilliance on Jan 10. Would love to see you before the cruise.

Wow, were you on that cruise?? That was a fantastic trip. I had an absolutely wonderful time. And Amsterdam afterwards was too, too faboo. I would be happy to meet up with you B 4 cruise. contact at "arch5568 at hotmail.com".

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

Howard: I saw on the other Board that you are interested in Aix. I have a friend there I want to visit (also named Howard, BTW) who is too old to drive. We could rent a car (Sixt is right near the port) and drive together if you wish. I just want to have lunch with him and look around. We could meet for the drive back. Let me know.

Happy New Year, Everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... Just got finished browsing the 75 pages for the general TA roll call May 2nd on Equinox. I figured I had better drop a shoe here as well.

Nice to see recent postings.

I'm David and hubby of 25 years is Dave. (Toronto) We are traveling the trans-Atlantic with my sister, niece & nephew and their significant others. That's party of 8!

The kids are 19/20 and are sharing an ocean-view. Us grownups have verandas.

We have crossed before on the Solstice and loved it. This FOD board had about 10 active members then, but the ship was full of FOD.

Many Germans, Dutch, returning from Florida R&R. It was a hoot.... Of course the Martini Bar but also Quasar.

We even had an all gay night at the hotel director's head table. (like Captain's Table, just another night)

Dave and I are Elite Captains club and are very loyal to the Celebrity brand, except for the odd Atlantis. Staff and clients have always been accepting of us even when we slow dance :eek:

Expect to see us at all the CC events or whining for another comp'd bottle of Campagne from the CC hostess.

110 days to go!! We look forward to chatting and eventually meeting you all.

P.S. We always dance.

Welcome aboard Dave and David, always happy to know of more FOD's aboard. But it is very true that Celebrity does get a larger share of "friends" than most of the other lines. I too am an "elite" with Celebrity and love the extra perks that come with that status, as opposed to say, Holland which with over 100 days gives you almost nothing. Looking forward to meeting you and your group. :) I am going to corrupt a rather famous line now; "If music be the food of love, dance on, dance on".

Howard

tomorrow is decision day I think... I have a hold on a couple of cabins but prices do seem to vary from UK.. must admit that single supplements are still high... costing about $2800 for me alone..flying from UK.

Looking at a C2 cabin with balcony and a 30% restricted view for that...

We had around 65 FODs on RCCL Adventure of the Seas last year... with an average age around 35 ... plenty of 20 - 30s who worked for Quantas... Wondering what the possibility is of a similar crowd on Celebrity Equinox?

I have messaged some from last year to see if they fancy this too...

Welcome aboard Jonalone, always great to welcome more FOD's. You seem to like RCL, can you give me your reasoning? I just find their ships too large. This past November I tried Azamara and was delighted with that line. It held 680, but only 531 for the crossing. It was wonderful. I was able to get to know so many more people than had I been on a much larger ship, such as the "Equinox". Still, on Celebrity, the "Martini Lounge" is the place to be for FOD's. At least I hope so.

Again, welcome aboard and see what you can do about gettin g some of the "Aussies", to join in.

Howard of Ft. Lauderdale

Welcome aboard Jonalone, always great to welcome more FOD's. You seem to like RCL, can you give me your reasoning? I just find their ships too large. This past November I tried Azamara and was delighted with that line. It held 680, but only 531 for the crossing. It was wonderful. I was able to get to know so many more people than had I been on a much larger ship, such as the "Equinox". Still, on Celebrity, the "Martini Lounge" is the place to be for FOD's. At least I hope so.

Again, welcome aboard and see what you can do about gettin g some of the "Aussies", to join in.

Howard of Ft. Lauderdale

I like the ready mix of people on the Explorer and Freedom class RCL ships.. the night club Chamber is always busy and ages range from 20's upwards.. I worry there wont be many 20s and 30s on Celebrity...or as much to do other than sit in the sun on Celebrity...

Comments on a postcard to......

BTW .. I have been able to transfer my rewards as Diamond RCL over to Elite on Captains Club.... this takes 48 hours to go through so cant book til then as may miss out on a deal or upgrade...

Hi Jonathon,

Sure, I remember you. You missed a fun cruise. A lot of Europeans missed the TA because of the volcano. But, a lot more joined the cruise at the last minute to get back to Europe. They started leaving at the first port. The cruise got less and less crowded as we neared Rome. I had no problem sailing to Europe, but the volcano almost stopped me from getting back. Hopefully it won't erupt for another two hundred year.

The Ruby Princess was a nice ship, but I like the Equinox a whole lot better. This should also be a great cruise. Hope you can make it.

Greg

Archived