Celebrity equinox 5/2/11

howndder

Hello to our possible new cruisers. I would like to point out that the 2 bottle rule applies only to "Wine", not alcohol, like Vodka or similiar. There are of course other ways to bring on "liqour", but that is akin to breaking the rules and I for one would never do such a thing, BUT, I never go anywhere without my water bottles;).

Howard

Too true. The alcohol practices on cruise ships remind be a tad of probation and where people had to resort to rum runners to sneak the good stuff over the boarder.

I agree one should never ever ever break the rules. That would be very un christian and naughty.

Any tips re alcohol would be good. I see we can bring on two bottles each at start of the cruise. I guess that doesn't apply to mid cruise ports?

Celebrity only allows two bottles of wine per stateroom, not two bottles each. They don't speak to the size of the bottle although I believe boxed wine is not allowed.

With so many Elite members on a TA, I wonder how we will all fit in Michael's club. FYI: The role call from Cruise critic now represents about 10% of the ship.

When there are too many Elites on a sailing, the morning breakfast & afternoon cocktails are held in the Sky Lounge (at least that's what was done on our Solstice TA)

Just returned from the Equinox in the Caribbean.

Two bottles of wine per room was no problem. Many people on the drink packages as well, just for the convenience and peace of mind.

Elite Captains Club was in Micheals Club in the morning and in Sky Lounge from 5-7 Evenings. The drinks flowed freely at both events.

There were 3 CC club parties over the 10 days, officers etc.

You can ask for a tour of the bridge and also the engine room if are Captains Club.

Men's change room has a small sauna only. Persian Gardens, AquaClass or extra charge has a Co-ed (steam room, 6 hot chairs and an aroma therapy room.)

That's all for now... If you any questions just post.

We are "hetros" from the other board but I came across this one and wanted to say hello! My husband and I are very excited to do our first transatlantic cruise and our first Celebrity cruise! My brother has worked for Royal for almost 8 years so we have always sailed Royal but looking forward to trying Celebrity!

Look forward to meeting you all there! :)

Jennifer and Mike

Hi YYZTOOL, you didn't mention how many FOD's there were and where you all met. Was it posted still in the daily paper? Anythinng special done for FOD? That kind of thing.

Howard

The cast was only about 8 (@FOD) plus about 5 crew that met with us later in the evenings in Quasar or Sky Lounge or on the Lawn.

It is no longer in the daily paper, but Celebrity has a sign in the main foyer of all the groups that meet daily. FOD - Daily Martini Bar, I think. Friends of Bill is the only one that is still printed daily in the program.

Nothing special for FOD but because it was March Spring Break for Canadian Schools it likely was a smaller than normal %. TransAtlantics are something completely different when it comes to the FOD crowds - Can't wait.

Well Celebrity Virgins. You are in for a real treat just becuase of Celebrity now multiply by 10 for the Equinox and by another 10 times for the transatlantic and another 10 times for the exceptional stops we will visit.

Dave and I(David) as traveling with my sister/hubby and four tweens, our neice, nephew and their BFFs.

We just returned from the Equinox last week with Dave's side of the family for the Canadian March break.

Whether it is food, or the Lawn Club, the drink packages or the friendly staff and passengers - Celebrity Life is something special.

See you soon.

Well Celebrity Virgins. You are in for a real treat just becuase of Celebrity now multiply by 10 for the Equinox and by another 10 times for the transatlantic and another 10 times for the exceptional stops we will visit.

Dave and I(David) as traveling with my sister/hubby and four tweens, our neice, nephew and their BFFs.

We just returned from the Equinox last week with Dave's side of the family for the Canadian March break.

Whether it is food, or the Lawn Club, the drink packages or the friendly staff and passengers - Celebrity Life is something special.

See you soon.

We are super excited! My brother was just married on the Seranade of the Seas (He is the F&B on the ship) the week of Feb 26th when we were in Barbados so I know what it is like cruising with lots of family-It was a blast!

We are from Strathroy, On which is outside of London so its nice to have so many fellow Canadians on board.

Thanks for the response and we look forward to the best time!

I have arranged for a private minivan & driver for the Toulon port stop.

I have not finalized an itinerary, but Aix in Provence is a sure stop. The driver is not a guide, so don't expect a narrated drive. I expect the

tour to be from 8-4, give or take. The cost is 280euros before driver gratuity for the whole van, which holds 8 passengers. I have space for 4 more passengers.

FYI, my partner & I are 49, and my parents will be with us; they are SUPER easy seniors.

Anthony Wong

We are "hetros" from the other board but I came across this one and wanted to say hello! My husband and I are very excited to do our first transatlantic cruise and our first Celebrity cruise! My brother has worked for Royal for almost 8 years so we have always sailed Royal but looking forward to trying Celebrity!

Look forward to meeting you all there! :)

Jennifer and Mike

Welcome Jennifer and Mike... Thanks for dropping by... I have sailed ROyal for a number of years too, and am looking to trying something a little better since all the penny pinching started on Royal...

Here's to a great holiday..!!

I have deliberately chosen a late flight at 6pm from Rome back to London so I can visit Vatican City and Sistine Chapel. I have booked flights and transfers through Celebrity, but hoped there was a ships tour that would take in these sites AND drop off at the airport afterwards.

It seems the only airport drop-off tour is to St Peters Basilica and the Coliseum and doesn't take in much else..

Can any of our Celebrity officianados offer advice or know any better here??:confused:

It seems a long way to go and not see anything of Vatican City!!

----------------------

I was also looking at the basic alcohol package at $320 ..... it offers moderate wines, decent spirits unlimited, so I would guess cocktails like a Mojito wouldnt be impossible.. even if I have to mix them myself.. :-) Cant be bad value for 14 nights with several days at sea!! works out $29 per day including service.. and can be booked on the ship using the On-Board spend credit... OK, it rules out the finest wines, but I think I can live with that as many of the best offered are actually quite resonable in the UK, and wouldn't be considered to be that great either...:cool:

Just returned from the Equinox in the Caribbean.

Men's change room has a small sauna only. Persian Gardens, AquaClass or extra charge has a Co-ed (steam room, 6 hot chairs and an aroma therapy room.)

That's all for now... If you any questions just post.

Guess some will sitting on others' laps then ......

I was also looking at the basic alcohol package at $320 ..... it offers moderate wines, decent spirits unlimited, so I would guess cocktails like a Mojito wouldnt be impossible.. even if I have to mix them myself.. :-) Cant be bad value for 14 nights with several days at sea!! works out $29 per day including service.. and can be booked on the ship using the On-Board spend credit... OK, it rules out the finest wines, but I think I can live with that as many of the best offered are actually quite resonable in the UK, and wouldn't be considered to be that great either...

I think you should check those prices. You must be talking British Pounds, even that looks low. If you select the package and try to make the reservation right until the checkout it should be about $625 USD

I was reading your post on the other thread regarding Rome. I know it is frustrating. As a group of 8 we look at some of the prices and just spin. We have a flight out that day at 4PM but should be able to see lots of Rome in that time. Dave and I have done Rome a few times but never as a terminus point with all the luggage. You really can see a lot of the great points on foot in short order.

My sister is looking at some options for a van/guide.

If you looking around keep us in mind if a group of 9 gets a better price.

I will keep you in mind as well. What time is your flight?

I was reading your post on the other thread regarding Rome. I know it is frustrating. As a group of 8 we look at some of the prices and just spin. We have a flight out that day at 4PM but should be able to see lots of Rome in that time. Dave and I have done Rome a few times but never as a terminus point with all the luggage. You really can see a lot of the great points on foot in short order.

My sister is looking at some options for a van/guide.

If you looking around keep us in mind if a group of 9 gets a better price.

I will keep you in mind as well. What time is your flight?

My flight is at 18.10.

I really would like to see the sistine Chapel and other bits of Vatican.. open to suggestion to anything else... The ship does a tour to St Peters Basilica.. but no idea if that takes in Sistine Chapel as I undrstand they are very close... I have asked Celebrity if they plan to do such a trip

Jon, We took this tour in 2007 before a cruise from Rome. The tour may be a small-group tour, but there were lines everywhere.

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/2222/tours/Rome/Skip-the-Line-Vatican-Museums-Walking-Tour-including-Sistine-Chapel-Raphaels-Rooms-and-St-Peters/d511-3731VATICAN

If the link doesn't work, the operator is Just Tours. Type that and "net", and you should be able to navigate to the Rome tours.

There is one tour that begins at 9:30 on the 16th, which should be enough time to get from the port ot the Vatican. I was on the Equinox last August, and the tour ended in Rome. I was off the ship by 6:15.

Greg

Dear GEORGE ,

this is to confirm to you that the Journey Purchase was successful.:

Journey summary

Train: Intercity 501; date: 16/05/2011

Departure: Civitavecchia (Ore: 09.17); Arrival: Roma Termini (Ore: 10.14)

Carriage: 8; Place: 85, 86 (Mandatory reservation) ; Class: 2a;

Fare: Mini2 Adulti;

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ad1ce14114bc9110VgnVCM10000080a3e90aRCRD

Pick up procedure: Ticketless

Fidelity card:

Ticket holder: GEORGE

Pit code:

Jon, We took this tour in 2007 before a cruise from Rome. The tour may be a small-group tour, but there were lines everywhere.

http://www.partner.viator.com/en/2222/tours/Rome/Skip-the-Line-Vatican-Museums-Walking-Tour-including-Sistine-Chapel-Raphaels-Rooms-and-St-Peters/d511-3731VATICAN

If the link doesn't work, the operator is Just Tours. Type that and "net", and you should be able to navigate to the Rome tours.

There is one tour that begins at 9:30 on the 16th, which should be enough time to get from the port ot the Vatican. I was on the Equinox last August, and the tour ended in Rome. I was off the ship by 6:15.

Greg

The tour sounds perfect... thanks for the link..

What about luggage? If I could check the luggage port side it sounds excellent.. and no idea if I can check in at the airport 11 hours before the flight and then head back to Vatican to do this..

My flight is at 18.10.

I really would like to see the sistine Chapel and other bits of Vatican.. open to suggestion to anything else... The ship does a tour to St Peters Basilica.. but no idea if that takes in Sistine Chapel as I undrstand they are very close... I have asked Celebrity if they plan to do such a trip

Ed and I are doing the back to back cruise and will end in Rome again on 27th May. We are taking the Celebrity shore excursion which leaves the pier at 7:15 am (yes, really!!) and goes into Rome to do the Vatican and St Peter's, letting us off downtown at about 1pm. That works for us since we can get a taxi to our hotel, but it might also work for you on the 16th since you could then poke around the city centre a bit before getting a shuttle to the airport. The cost for us was $162 CDN each.

This message is for CruingGourmet, DO NOT forget to have your ticket for the train stamped before boarding. There are little yellow boxes on the platforms to stick your ticket into. Failure to do this could result in a large fine if you are caught without a validated ticket.

Howard

I was also looking at the basic alcohol package at $320 ..... it offers moderate wines, decent spirits unlimited, so I would guess cocktails like a Mojito wouldnt be impossible.. even if I have to mix them myself.. :-) Cant be bad value for 14 nights with several days at sea!! works out $29 per day including service.. and can be booked on the ship using the On-Board spend credit... OK, it rules out the finest wines, but I think I can live with that as many of the best offered are actually quite resonable in the UK, and wouldn't be considered to be that great either...

I think you should check those prices. You must be talking British Pounds, even that looks low. If you select the package and try to make the reservation right until the checkout it should be about $625 USD

Of course you are right again ...:eek:.. works out to $44 a day... if you reckon on a couple of juices, a couple of drinks round the pool, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and a brandy, followed by a couple or three Mojitos in the nightclub... perhaps it still works out cheap?? Not that I drink much..but a bottle of wine is $40 split over 2 nights that's half the cost fo the package without anything pre or post dinner or round the pool! I wont need to smuggle a bottle of JD in to the cabin as can get a shot at the bar and take it with me...:p .. then there is the free decent coffee for afterwards... problem will be when it is my turn to buy a round of drinks... :rolleyes:

Jonalone is a lush! Just kidding... Seems like an appropriate consumption per day while enjoying a vacation. The drink package also has benefits such as water for onshore, espresso/cappuccino, fresh OJ and it allows you to try new drinks without fear.

My sister is firmly a drink package follower. Dave and I are still deciding as the Elite Captains club plys us with liquor in the morning and from 5-7 in the evenings. But why sit in a lounge every night when we could be whooping it up with guys like you about the ship. :rolleyes:

Regarding your transport issue. Yes there is a luggage storage service at the Rome terminis station. You can do the Port Train to Rome, check luggage, afternoon train to Airport all for about 32 USD$ It is really quite easy.

We are considering renting a room at a hotel by Rome terminis station for all of the luggage, and a bathroom after walking in Rome and this is about $38 USD$ each for the 8 of us.

The train is great because if your efficient and get of that ship by 6:30 the trains are already running and you in Rome by before 8AM.

Jonalone is a lush! Just kidding... Seems like an appropriate consumption per day while enjoying a vacation. The drink package also has benefits such as water for onshore, espresso/cappuccino, fresh OJ and it allows you to try new drinks without fear.

My sister is firmly a drink package follower. Dave and I are still deciding as the Elite Captains club plys us with liquor in the morning and from 5-7 in the evenings. But why sit in a lounge every night when we could be whooping it up with guys like you about the ship. :rolleyes:

Regarding your transport issue. Yes there is a luggage storage service at the Rome terminis station. You can do the Port Train to Rome, check luggage, afternoon train to Airport all for about 32 USD$ It is really quite easy.

We are considering renting a room at a hotel by Rome terminis station for all of the luggage, and a bathroom after walking in Rome and this is about $38 USD$ each for the 8 of us.

The train is great because if your efficient and get of that ship by 6:30 the trains are already running and you in Rome by before 8AM.

Sounds like a good idea... I am not flying until 6pm .. and only a short 2hr flight and I am home.. best option would be to either do similar to you, or do the Vatican tour with Celebrity and then take a taxi or bus to the airport.

Archived