Fee for Mahogany Bay, Roatan?

sheilb4

Anyone been there recently? I was there earlier this year and walked the path along to beach, had a beach lounger and did not have to pay...

CCL owns this beach, surely they are not charging to sit on it now??

Lots of people use the chair lift thinking it is a Looong walk. It's only about a five to seven minute walk from the chair lift over to the FREE beach. We walked while others in our party waited for chair lift. We were there probably 20 minutes before them as they had to wait.

Lots of people use the chair lift thinking it is a Looong walk. It's only about a five to seven minute walk from the chair lift over to the FREE beach. We walked while others in our party waited for chair lift. We were there probably 20 minutes before them as they had to wait.

In the defense of folks who pay the $10 for ALL DAY for the chair lift. At 90 plus degrees and humid, reality is it is really HOT there. You can get back eat lunch and go back and get more use of that $10 bracelet.

Going to the old pier is actually better in many ways if you want access to the island. We traveled there last November on the Carnival Legend and were supposed to go to the new pier but it wasn't ready for us from the time we boarded the ship saying we'd be docking there to the day we actually docked. We went on shore and went to one of the island tour stations and were able to get a full island tour with three of us in a private car and driver for about $ 70.00, stopping off at another beach and basically doing anything we wanted.

We learned a lot with this guide, one thing she advised of us of is the new pier is owned by Carnival and all shops, guides, etc are all Carnival owned and there goal was to keep things more self contained to that area. With the old pier you have the ability to venture out more. With our tour, there was never a time we felt un-secure.

I believe that there's a five dollar fee to use the 'flying chairs' for the day but no fee for accessing the beach...

:)

They raised the price to $10 per day for the chair lift.

and...as short a walk, all you get is a nice view, and very short trip.

I believe that there's a five dollar fee to use the 'flying chairs' for the day but no fee for accessing the beach...

:)

I was wondering what the flying chairs were, thought they were something on the beach.

Yes, as has been said they were $10 in early May. Not sure if you have been there yet?? Maybe you read they were $5 when the port first opened, dont know.

I understand the Dream docks at the old pier. Do those passenger get to have access to Mahogany Bay? I assume so, but what is the process of getting over there?

We were on the Dream this past Jan. and she docked at the new dock.

I was wondering what the flying chairs were, thought they were something on the beach.

Yes, as has been said they were $10 in early May. Not sure if you have been there yet?? Maybe you read they were $5 when the port first opened, dont know.

When they first opened they were $5, and that is what they cost in March. However, about a month later it was reported the price had been raised to $10.

It is just funny to me...that is twice today I have caught Mac in a mistake, but Mac...we still love you buddy!!

I can't speak from experience, but I have read that the view really isn't anything special. It's just a short ride that often stops to allow those with mobility issues on and off safely. We'll have 2 in wheelchairs on our upcoming cruise, think I will skip the chairlift and just push them as we do all over the ship and in port. No one has said the walk was difficult. Now, if those along with us who do have mobility problems would prefer the ride, we'll put them on and meet them at the end with their chairs.

From what I've heard, you wouldn't miss much not using the chairlift.

The Dream docks at the new Mahogany Bay....yes its an easy and pleasant walk to the beach def not worth $10 unless you have walking disabilities of course...just glad to hear that they are not charging for the sun loungers...!!

Have to say I preferred Coxens cove as it was more the "real" Roatan, MB is a real tourist village, not impressed, and $$$!

We used the magical flying chairs in January for $5 just for the novelty of using a ski lift at the beach. We went back & forth several times. I would not do it again at $10, but it's a fun experience once. If we ever go back, I'll go to a beach with better snorkeling like the visit before this. We had planned a cheap, fun, easy day and that is what we got.

We were on the Ryndam in April and docked at Mahogany Bay. The flying chairs were $5 per person for an all day pass. Perhaps the price has increased since then. In any case, we just walked to the beach area.

The Dream docks at the new Mahogany Bay....yes its an easy and pleasant walk to the beach def not worth $10 unless you have walking disabilities of course...just glad to hear that they are not charging for the sun loungers...!!

Have to say I preferred Coxens cove as it was more the "real" Roatan, MB is a real tourist village, not impressed, and $$$!

I agree with the above, Mahogany Bay is a man made artificial beach and shopping village. It's designed to corral the ship's pax into a "safe" experience, but hardly one that is Caribbean. With the "chains" in these artificial shopping malls one could be anywhere - or nowhere, they look and seem the same no matter what island one is on. Mahogany was originally called Coral Cay before Carnival bought it and designed the enclosed shopping village. Reminds me of Costa Maya. Since Tabyana is down the road (and closer to Coxens pier) and Marajual is a short taxi ride from Costa Maya, I will always choose the local beach area rather than the Carnival venue, it's just a genuine experience for me.

In the defense of folks who pay the $10 for ALL DAY for the chair lift. At 90 plus degrees and humid, reality is it is really HOT there. You can get back eat lunch and go back and get more use of that $10 bracelet.

We accomplished the same thing AND saved $20.00.....It is partly shaded on the walk and there are several benches to sit and rest if needed.

How far is it from the new pier to Coxen's. Could you walk there? Take a taxi? I enjoyed shopping at the indoor "market" area that was there.

You can walk down the hill to outside the area and there will be taxi's and people trying to sell you on their excursions. Its a lot further walk than at the old pier.

Archived