Captains and Cruise Directors

Someone help me here.

I am trying to work out why it really matters who the captain is and who the CD is.

That probably sounds a daft comment, but I see threads about the Cruise Director and about who the captain is etc etc etc.

Now, I fully accept that when I was on the Mariner Captain Johnny was an incredibly extrovert and highly amusing gentleman who presented a certain "image" of RCI that was professonal and human, but I cam to the conclusion that the enjoyment of my cruise was completely and utterly non-dependent on the identity of the two aforementioned people.

My enjoyment is dependent on the expertise of my waiter/assistant waiter, the person who does my room and the bar staff, and the skill of the kitchen staff.

So tell me, am I missing something by this overt familiarity with the Captain and CD and will this extra knowledge impact positively on my cruise enjoyment? or is it an aspect of cruise snobbery whereby people can then go home andd refer to them as if they are friends who they have known all their life to give added credibility to their own personal cruising credentials?

Genuine question guys, I just don't get it, and I don't know why I don't get it

I like to know what kind of personality the CD has & whether my activities will be enjoyable because of him & his staff. I don't really care about Captain because I rarely see him.

The main problem is, the staffs do change & the fun ones that people post about in January could be gone when i arrive in October:eek:.

I prefer to read later posts closer to my sailing.

A good cruise director sets the tone for the entire week; ones who are outgoing, get involved with the passengers; have fun with the passengers, and also make fun of themselves; those are the ones who stand out in peoples minds. I have had two really great cruise directors in the past. Some people may not have liked them; but I did. That's the big deal; the captain in not an issue; they don't interact as much as a cruise director.

Someone help me here.

I am trying to work out why it really matters who the captain is and who the CD is.

That probably sounds a daft comment, but I see threads about the Cruise Director and about who the captain is etc etc etc.

Now, I fully accept that when I was on the Mariner Captain Johnny was an incredibly extrovert and highly amusing gentleman who presented a certain "image" of RCI that was professonal and human, but I cam to the conclusion that the enjoyment of my cruise was completely and utterly non-dependent on the identity of the two aforementioned people.

My enjoyment is dependent on the expertise of my waiter/assistant waiter, the person who does my room and the bar staff, and the skill of the kitchen staff.

So tell me, am I missing something by this overt familiarity with the Captain and CD and will this extra knowledge impact positively on my cruise enjoyment? or is it an aspect of cruise snobbery whereby people can then go home andd refer to them as if they are friends who they have known all their life to give added credibility to their own personal cruising credentials?

Genuine question guys, I just don't get it, and I don't know why I don't get it

I have to agree with you, I don't get it either!

Sherri:)

I don't think that people's interest in the identity of their ship's Captain or Cruise Director is their primary focus and they will acknowledge that their enjoyment of the cruise will not hinge on having this information. However, as you noted, some Captains and some cruise directors do add a bit extra to the total cruise experience and if their presence on board has any impact on the overall atmosphere on the ship, it is valuable information. I think that interest is pretty normal and I doubt that many veteran cruisers make their cruise decisions based on who will be the Ship's Master or its cruise director.

In some ways their curiosity about those identities is not much different from your curiosity about why they are asking.;)

I can site one instance where the captain had a direct impact on my cruise experience. When we sailed Serenade and were on out last day at sea sailing by various islands on the way back to San Juan the captain did a excellent narration as we went by each island. He would identify it and give us a history of each. He also went close and slowly by Montserrat giving us a great view of the distruction that the volcano did as well as an excellent narration of the history of the island and the volcano. Also, on our departure from St. Lucia he brought us to the Gran Pitons where we sat for awhile and took in the sunset. There is no question that captain had a direct role in making that cruise special.

Most of the other captains that we sailed with really made no impression on me one way or the other except for Capt. Johnny on Mariner. He just came across to me as a bit too egotistical and over the top. He seemed quite interested in pushing his book that was offered for sale in the Logo shop on the Promenade.

When I go to a show, whether the Quest or a headliner show, I absolutely enjoy the entertainment of a good cruise director. That is a plus. Once I leave the event, I don't need him to entertain me anymore. I know he has the responsibility of all the events that happen and how smoothly they all run. It is a huge undertaking and they all handle it well. I would not plan which cruise I take, based on who the CD is, or even go out of my way to inquire who is on my ship beforehand.

(That said.... I still have a made crush on Alan Brooks and would love to watch him in action again!!:D:D)

I really don't care who the Captain is, as long as they can safely get me back home! If there wasn't a CD at all, it wouldn't bother me.

While I enjoy good service, I don't need to become "friends" with my room attendant or waitstaff...

I mean, when you go to a hotel, you don't have involved conversations with the housekeeper or waiters in the dining room...I'm not totally sure why it seems appropriate on a ship? I do find it amazing that they can remember your name...and I do appreciate them being attentive to us, but that's about as far as it goes, for us!

I really don't care who the Captain is, as long as they can safely get me back home! If there wasn't a CD at all, it wouldn't bother me.

While I enjoy good service, I don't need to become "friends" with my room attendant or waitstaff...

I mean, when you go to a hotel, you don't have involved conversations with the housekeeper or waiters in the dining room...I'm not totally sure why it seems appropriate on a ship? I do find it amazing that they can remember your name...and I do appreciate them being attentive to us, but that's about as far as it goes, for us!

I would agree with this.

This is why it is the expertise that I look for as opposed to their ability to socially interact.

go on the oasis o the seas Richard specey the cruise director will answer that question for you,i had the plessure to have Richard and let me tell you all the 20 cruise i have taken with rccl he made me cry on the last day of the cruise i didnt want to leave the ship,he will make you cruise fun trust me you will never forget about your cruise and him

The CD is in a position that does indeed set a tone... and sometimes that tone is blah.. or canned... occasionally it is really capable of enhancing your cruise.

I have had cruises where the CD had zero influence on me, and a one where it made a huge difference. I feel I am sensitive to insincere personalities and tend to see right through the CD's that are putting on the face to make the people happy. But like the happy camper that I am, I can make my sruise great w/o the CD.. and many do..

A good CD is as much about their team and how they work with that team as anything... and to whit, a good team can make it all happen without the CD... my last cruise had a new CD and an existing staff... that has got to be a weird deal for the staff, having the new boss come in with their own sty;le etc etc... you would not have known they hadn't been working together for months, but it became clear that the CD was very capable and that his team were kick-arse.. James and Glenn and Jason all had genuine enthusiasm as did the CD Kieth.. while I could see that Kieth was tired.. I think he also had to take a couple of sick days during the cruise, and Glenn messed up his shoulder, they both were able to still enjoy doing their jobs.. James led the staff in a surprise Halloween midnight version of Michael Jackson's Thriller dance.. they slowly infiltrated the the Crown bar and then the music started... it took several measures before you could tell it was an orchestrated event... having done a bunch of theater/dance/singing, it was obvious they had worked very hard on this routine.

so... this Cd and crew made a HUGE difference in my cruise, your mileage may vary... it follows the you get back what you put in.. when the staff is really on, that carry's over to the guests.

Who you are makes a big difference... it is very easy to go on a cruise and not interact with the CD staff, and have a brilliant vacation.. I am not a pool person so I miss all the pool side events and it matters not.. .:)

I would agree with this.

This is why it is the expertise that I look for as opposed to their ability to socially interact.

But a certain part of the Captain's job is his or her ability to interact socially.:rolleyes: If it were not, you wouldn't have a Captain's welcome aboard reception, daily announcements from the bridge (certainly someone else could provide us with the information contained in those reports) and you wouldn't see the Captain around and about the ship interacting with both the crew and the passengers. He, or she, would be a remote and probably austere figure whose entire time during the cruise was spent on the bridge or in his stateroom.

The Captain is the host for your cruise and that has traditionally been his or her role as long as there have been cruise ships, so as much as expertise may be the primary qualification for the captain of a cruise ship, it is not the only one. A good or great captain is one who can successfully combine both the technical and the social responsibilities of the job.

But a certain part of the Captain's job is his or her ability to interact socially.:rolleyes: If it were not, you wouldn't have a Captain's welcome aboard reception, daily announcements from the bridge

Has anyone sailed with "Captain 'Speaking'"??? enough said!

"Hello, this is Captain speaking... On the starboard side you will see the gulf of mexico... on the port side, you will also see the gulf of mexico" <in the most dry monotone voice ever>

Has anyone sailed with "Captain 'Speaking'"??? enough said!

"Hello, this is Captain speaking... On the starboard side you will see the gulf of mexico... on the port side, you will also see the gulf of mexico" <in the most dry monotone voice ever>

At least you understood what he said.:D

Who is the Captain of the Oasis presently, and for how long will he be the ship's master ?

For a complete and comprehensive listing of RCI Captains, their rotation dates, and their ships, check out the thread maintained by Wolfcathorse. :) It is the best and most up to date source of this information that I am aware of.

For a complete and comprehensive listing of RCI Captains, their rotation dates, and their ships, check out the thread maintained by Wolfcathorse. :)

Thank you, I just did. Capt.Thore Thorolvsen.

Great info.

Thanks again.:)

I don't remember their names, but I can give an example of two different captains that did and did not make the cruise great. Last year, we sailed up Tracy Arm Fiord. The captain got very close to the glacer and then spun the boat for an hour so that everyone had a great view. This year, the captain turned around and left with out getting close and most of the pax topside were asking where the glacier was.

Archived