How Freestyle IS Freestyle?

shiningprincess

I'm looking at NCL for a cruise in October on the Sky for my husband's birthday. We've both cruised before on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas in 2008 as part of a family trip that was a Christmas present from my mom, and obviously, we really enjoyed it. ;)

Being chronically slow, late and twice as much on vacation, Freestyle cruising is definitely appealing! But how far does it go? Do activities get going on time or say, 8-ish? Do the shows go up on the dot? Are a lot of people late to them so you're not stuck standing in the back if you are? ;)

TIA!

I'm looking at NCL for a cruise in October on the Sky for my husband's birthday. We've both cruised before on RCCL's Mariner of the Seas in 2008 as part of a family trip that was a Christmas present from my mom, and obviously, we really enjoyed it. ;)

Being chronically slow, late and twice as much on vacation, Freestyle cruising is definitely appealing! But how far does it go? Do activities get going on time or say, 8-ish? Do the shows go up on the dot? Are a lot of people late to them so you're not stuck standing in the back if you are? ;)

TIA!

Activities and shows start on time. If they didn't it wouldn't be Freestyle, it would be chaos.

I know NCL likes to say freestyle is all-pervasive, but really it refers to three things:

1) No dining seating times and a lot of alternative dining options (mostly pay extra)

2) A decent variety of events going on at the same time (especially at night and on sea days).

3) Attire... NCL is very lax about formal dress, in fact "formal night" is optional on NCL, so you do not need a suit/gown if you want MDR on formal night.

That being said, I like both RCCL and NCL equally, but do like the slightly more lax feel of NCL (even though I still wear a tux on formal night).

If you come back from an excursion and you're hot and tired there is no need to rush to make it to an assigned dinner time! You can take your time just so long as you're seated by 9:30 pm. Of course you can make reservations at any of the upsell restaurants but there is no need to eat at any of them if you don't want to. Buffet, outdoor grill, main dining rooms all offer plenty of options.

Freestyle = no strict formal dress code and meal times when its more convenient for you.

Shows will require getting to the theater before the show starts, there are music venues all over the ship in the evenings so there is quite a lot going on if you miss the main production show.

I know NCL likes to say freestyle is all-pervasive, but really it refers to three things:

1) No dining seating times and a lot of alternative dining options (mostly pay extra)

2) A decent variety of events going on at the same time (especially at night and on sea days).

3) Attire... NCL is very lax about formal dress, in fact "formal night" is optional on NCL, so you do not need a suit/gown if you want MDR on formal night.

That being said, I like both RCCL and NCL equally, but do like the slightly more lax feel of NCL (even though I still wear a tux on formal night).

Thanks! Imagine it was too much to hope for that an entire ship run on princess-time. ;)

That's very helpful. I /did/ enjoy RCCL, but I also remember rushing for dinner a couple of times, especially on formal evenings. I like to get dressed up, but as I said... slow. Works of art take time! :rolleyes:

If you come back from an excursion and you're hot and tired there is no need to rush to make it to an assigned dinner time! You can take your time just so long as you're seated by 9:30 pm. Of course you can make reservations at any of the upsell restaurants but there is no need to eat at any of them if you don't want to. Buffet, outdoor grill, main dining rooms all offer plenty of options.

Freestyle = no strict formal dress code and meal times when its more convenient for you.

Shows will require getting to the theater before the show starts, there are music venues all over the ship in the evenings so there is quite a lot going on if you miss the main production show.

I like the idea of being able to eat 'whenever' - especially in the heat. Love the food on cruises, but sometimes you're too hot to eat right off! And good to know about activities. :)

I think this is a good point for the OP. Even if you can't quite get it together for the main production shows, there is usually something else going on in the evening whenever you are ready. As much as I enjoy the shows, I really love the more intimate performances around the ship, be it piano players, singers, whatever. :D And you can come and go as you please, to kill time until your next activity, or stay for the entire evening.

I think this is a good point for the OP. Even if you can't quite get it together for the main production shows, there is usually something else going on in the evening whenever you are ready. As much as I enjoy the shows, I really love the more intimate performances around the ship, be it piano players, singers, whatever. :D And you can come and go as you please, to kill time until your next activity, or stay for the entire evening.

Thanks for re-iterating that - I'm from Toronto and make the odd trip to NYC, so I do see some pretty excellent productions now and again - the more intimate performances might be more to my taste... or to my speed, I guess. ;)

Also, love the ROFL Copter! On LiveJournal, I have a WAAAAHmbulance. :D And are you a gamer, perchance, at Level 10?

Actually, it IS...but only on the Freestyle Deck....

Wait, so that is what "Freestyle Deck" means, I had no idea. Looks like my cruise on the Jewel just got a lot more interesting :cool: (Spirit didn't have one that I knew of).

Well, I wore shoes to my Main dinner restaurant. I took a suit, but decided not to wear it. 2nd Nite I was planning of wearing the suit, but I was hot from going to GSC all day so I decided not to wear it again. This time I wore about the same, t shirt, shorts, and flip flops. I felt guilty but some ppl wearing wearing very casual clothing, and some wearing formal attire and some wearing church/casual pants etc. clothing. Thank goodness I wasn't going on the other cruiselines that evening! Princess here I come December and not looking forward to dressing up......hehehe

In addition to this post, I know I can get by with wearing "fancy" flip flops to dinner, but could DH wear his to dinner as well? Do they care as long as you're wearing shoes of some sort?

Back to the original post, we personally didn't care for Freestyle. Not that it's intentions aren't admirable, we just found it dysfunctional on our GEM cruise. If arriving to eat and waiting 30 to 45 min. for a table wasn't enough to test your patience, try another half hour waiting for your salad. On average, wait another 20 to 30 min for the main entrée. Desert was another situation that I'd rater not go into. What we witnessed is that the dining room staff was seriously under staffed. They tried their best with what they had (staffing). It wasn't so bad for breakfast or lunch, but diner was quite challenging. Planning for anything after-wards was a coin toss. We never had this problem on the Spirit or Crown and hopefully the Jewel is better staffed for our upcoming cruise.

Back to the original post, we personally didn't care for Freestyle. Not that it's intentions aren't admirable, we just found it dysfunctional on our GEM cruise. If arriving to eat and waiting 30 to 45 min. for a table wasn't enough to test your patience, try another half hour waiting for your salad. On average, wait another 20 to 30 min for the main entrée. Desert was another situation that I'd rater not go into. What we witnessed is that the dining room staff was seriously under staffed. They tried their best with what they had (staffing). It wasn't so bad for breakfast or lunch, but diner was quite challenging. Planning for anything after-wards was a coin toss. We never had this problem on the Spirit or Crown and hopefully the Jewel is better staffed for our upcoming cruise.

We've never waited more than five minutes for a table at any NCL main dining room. Just because you found it "dysfunctional" doesn't mean everyone will. In fact, nearly everyone won't, and freestyle is quite "functional," if you like to choose your dinner time, your dinner companions, your attire for dinner, and your dining venue. Anything other than freestyle is "dysfunctional" in our eyes. Who wants to be told when to eat, what to wear, where to eat, and with whom you must eat? Ridiculous.

I agree with sotto, never have we waited more than a couple of minutes to be seated. I think the majority of the people who complain that they have to wait are those that arrive at 6pm as soon as the dining room opens (along with everyone else who wants to eat first). Either that or they are a large group party which can take time to find a table large enough to accommodate them.

We personally dislike set dining times because they simply aren't convenient. Whose to say I will be hungry precisely at 6 or 8 pm? Just not our cup of tea. Freestyle offers just that, the freedom to eat when I get hungry, not when I'm told I can.

BTW, I have yet to see flip flops in the MDR on ANY of our cruises. Nice sandals, yes but never flip flops.

First, I do like freestyle cruising, but anything stated in the dress code is really just a suggestion. I have seen very sloppy clothing in the MDR and shorts with tshirts in the specialty restaurants. I came to the conclusion that NCL seems to justify their slide in quality because they probably think we are really just a bunch of slobs (about 1/3 of the guests) who don't even know to dress properly and therefore wouldn't know quality food or service if they even tried. And yes, flip flops can be seen all over the dining rooms.

I agree with sotto, never have we waited more than a couple of minutes to be seated. I think the majority of the people who complain that they have to wait are those that arrive at 6pm as soon as the dining room opens (along with everyone else who wants to eat first). Either that or they are a large group party which can take time to find a table large enough to accommodate them.

We personally dislike set dining times because they simply aren't convenient. Whose to say I will be hungry precisely at 6 or 8 pm? Just not our cup of tea. Freestyle offers just that, the freedom to eat when I get hungry, not when I'm told I can.

BTW, I have yet to see flip flops in the MDR on ANY of our cruises. Nice sandals, yes but never flip flops.

Agreed... I have never waited more than 10 minutes for a table and it is usually less than that. The 10 minute wait was usually when they had to set up a table for our larger group.

Also, if you arrive right when the dining rooms open at 5:30 p.m., there may be a 5-10 minute wait if you are further back... but that wait is due to the hostesses seating the guests in front of you which can be time consuming when they are slammed all at once.

Dining also between 6:30 and 8:00 p.m. may cause a slight wait since it is prime dining time.

I think being "lax" about formal dress is a misstatement. Freestyle means being able to dress (almost) as you want. Not being forced to dress up just to eat dinner.

NCL still has a "dress up or not" night which is the optional formal night for those that wish to dress up on a "set" night. But that is a difference I have seen on NCL from other lines: There will be people on NCL dressed up every night. Because of Freestyle, many choose to dress up a night other than Dress up or not night to have their formal portraits taken. The photographers are set up every night and the lines are always much shorter on the other nights.

NCL's Dress Code is not "lax." It is spelled out... "Resort Casual" (or more) is perfectly acceptable every night in every dining venue. Resort Casual means polo shirt, Kahki pants, tennis shoes or dress sandals. They have recently expanded that to include nice jeans & dress shorts on most cruises, but they still keep one dining room as "no jeans."

Again... it is all about you having choices for your cruise.

Actually, this is a continuation of my comments about Dabjman posts as well as this one...

NCL has a dress code.. but the issue has become one of inconsistant enforcement. We have discussed this issue on here many times. On some NCL ships, they are very strict about the code and often send guests back to cabins to change. On other ships, they simply look the other way. (it even varies sometimes from dining venue to dining venue on the same ship!).

The consensus on here is basically that many times Maitre'd's and hostesses are afraid of confrontations with the passengers. They are concerned about a disgruntled passenger who they have confronted about the dress code, giving them a bad report or creating a scene... so they simply look the other way.

I think NCL's dress code is very fair and allows all to enjoy the perks of Freestyle.. BUT I think the code that they have needs to be enforced. Rules are rules and a rule not being enforced is not a needed rule. Unfortunately we have a few people who simply think they are above rules and the rest of the passengers and so the rules don't apply to them. These are the same losers who would report the crew for simply doing their jobs.

The issue of flip flops has been debated and debated on these boards as well. Are flip flops also sandals?? Again, no clear answer. People who like to push the envelope are those that wear the flip flops. Technically I think they are a violation of the dress code.

When I was on RCCL, I had planned all along not to dress up for formal night and go to the buffet that night instead. I did not want to drag along my formal clothes, did not want to wear them on vacation BUT I also respected the rule of the ship. Hence, I was going to the buffet. The night before formal night, we informed our waiter that we were not going to be there on formal night because we did not want to dress up. He and the maitre'd made it a point to press upon us that the Formal Night on RCCL was now just a suggestion and resort casual was perfectly acceptable and they wanted us to come back. So since the rule was changed, we went there and we were not the only ones not dressed up. It looks like Freestyle Dress Code and optional formal is expanding.

Just a tip---We've learned to avoid the main dining rooms on the first night and last night of the cruise. Sometimes NCL runs 2 for 1 dining if seated before 7pm in the specialty restaurants--especially the last night. First night of our last NCL cruise, we were seated immediately at the Asian restaurant for only $15pp. Now we automatically plan on dining in a specialty restaurant first night because it will be half empty and nice and quiet.

Port nights are always the least crowded in the dining rooms. Never a wait.

Last NCL cruise our DD got free cocktails in the bar because there was a short wait for a table in Aqua (smaller main dining room). That would make waiting worthwhile.

DH always budgets money for gambling on his cruise and I always budget for specialty restaurants. I love eating in a different venue each night. Asian restaurant is always my favorite and LeBistro is always on my list too.

Archived