NCL dock position?

SRBx2

Ok,

Does anyone know which direction the ship usually "parks" when in port here? (kings wharf)

We don't want to come "home" to a hot room.

I was looking at NCL Gem or Dawn, Fall thru Spring.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Ok,

Does anyone know which direction the ship usually "parks" when in port here? (kings wharf)

We don't want to come "home" to a hot room.

I was looking at NCL Gem or Dawn, Fall thru Spring.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

The ships can and do dock facing in either direction. It depends on which lifeboats they want to test and maintenance they want to perform. There's no way to predict it in advance.

By the way, the cruise season to Bermuda runs from spring to fall, not the other way around.;)

ok, thanks...

I guess I should have said fall OR spring.... unless the summer there is mild. I apologize, I haven't done a lot of research on Bermuda.

I am just scrambling for a cruise to change to since we have already put money down on a non-refundable deposit on the Epic, and now we need to change it. Cruise prices lately are not as good as they once were, and I am starting to lose interest in cruising <==== can't believe I just wrote that!

Also, from past cruises, it seemed like the ships always pulled in the same way at certain ports we had been to previously, I guess it was just a concidence.... oh well, we just want to be comfortable, perhaps an inside room would be a better idea for bermuda. At least we will save money that way!

Sorry for being a pest!

I'm assuming you are trying to avoid the afternoon sun, right? After looking at a very basic map of Bermuda and the Dockyard, I would suggest getting an interior cabin to avoid the sun.

The wharves at the Dockyard appear to run close to a north - south direction, not exactly, but close. Predicting which side of the cruise ship will face the wharf is very imprecise. To be safe then, go with the interior ; no sun, no hot cabin.

BTW, you park the car, but you dock the cruise ship. Should you meet the Captain, as an icebreaker, tell him what nice job he did parking the cruise ship; he'll certainly be impressed :D.

SBtS

Two words........air conditioning.;)

I have never been on a cruise that the room didn't have a/c. I have been on a few cruises that the sun blared into the room all day and air conditioning couldn't keep up!

perhaps I will just go to alaska... IN THE WINTER.. he he!

I'm stressin... But since I have your guys' attention, and I have only been on east, west, or southern caribbean... do you think we'll like bermuda?????

PEST??? Where, where?:D

It helps to close the curtains during the day and Bermuda does get hot but never had a problem with a hot room.

STOP stressing.;)

Hard to tell if you'll like Bermuda. I've run into a few who thought it was just ok and wouldn't go back but with most, it seems to be "love at first sight" and they can't wait to go back.:)

It's very different than the Caribbean.....no loud beach bars with lots of people hanging out at them, no one trying to sell you anything on the beach, matter of fact, no one trying to sell you anything anywhere. The stores for the most part, are nice upscale or boutique type places.....NO bargaining.;)

BTW, fall is a very nice time to go, not quite as hot and less humidity while the water is still quite warm. Takes a while to warm up so the water can be chilly in the spring and no self-respecting Bermudian puts a toe in before May 24.

PEST??? Where, where?:D

It helps to close the curtains during the day and Bermuda does get hot but never had a problem with a hot room.

STOP stressing.;)

Hard to tell if you'll like Bermuda. I've run into a few who thought it was just ok and wouldn't go back but with most, it seems to be "love at first sight" and they can't wait to go back.:)

It's very different than the Caribbean.....no loud beach bars with lots of people hanging out at them, no one trying to sell you anything on the beach, matter of fact, no one trying to sell you anything anywhere. The stores for the most part, are nice upscale or boutique type places.....NO bargaining.;)

BTW, fall is a very nice time to go, not quite as hot and less humidity while the water is still quite warm. Takes a while to warm up so the water can be chilly in the spring and no self-respecting Bermudian puts a toe in before May 24.

WOW! Sounds like the DREAM destination to me, you have truly peaked my interest! I mean, I do like bargaining with the amigos in cozumel for entertainment sometimes, but I have started to despise ports like Ocho Rios, and Nassau! And being from N. California and going to the beach in MARCH every year (why my parents chose that time, I don't know!) maybe we wont mind it!

My husband and I enjoy peace and quiet, not the party scene. I probably wont shop much, but it sounds like we might see something new!

Thanks for responding. I truly appreciate it!

P.S. as far as pulling the curtains closed.... :rolleyes:DUH!:rolleyes:

OP,

Do I understand you correctly that your deposit can be transferred to another booking? If so, then NCL is a good choice for a cruise line since they have 7 day cruises as opposed to 5 day on X and RCCL and the more time there, the better. HAL has a 7 day but you still have the NCL deposit. We've been to Bermuda on all 3 lines and liked them all and, although we do have a favorite line, it will remain un-named.;) :)

iheartbda,

yes, it is transferrable, I just can't cancel it.. When my husband and I were on NCL last, we did the pay $250, get $100 SBC deal.. the first cruise we booked wouldn't work so we changed it to the Epic last July. Now we are building a house and I would rather use extra money for the house rather than a cruise, so I need to find something else later on. NCL isn't my FAVE cruise line, but I haven't looked at others, because I need to use this deposit, otherwise, we lose $250.

BTW I do have an awesome balcony I'll be giving up if I cancel this. If you are interested its 11/13/10 cat BE room 10254, of course the price is a lot higher now.

It's crapshoot - Spirit and Dawn dock either side this year.

For the 3rd time Dawn changed sides overnight this week - she came in 2 days ago and docked starboard but this morning we saw her docked port side. The previous two times were once last year and once in 2008.

The Dawn in all the cabins has a super cool down setting on the ac...and it works fairly well.

BTW you can sell the $250 to anyone. Its can be used for the full deposit on any non-suite cabin....it actually only cost you $150.00..... I bet if you offered it for $200 someone would buy it.....quickly.

The Dawn in all the cabins has a super cool down setting on the ac...and it works fairly well.

BTW you can sell the $250 to anyone. Its can be used for the full deposit on any non-suite cabin....it actually only cost you $150.00..... I bet if you offered it for $200 someone would buy it.....quickly.

It even is good as the full deposit on Penthouse Suites. It just can't be used as the full deposit on Owners Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

ok, thanks... but now I am actually interested in this cruise. I priced a flight and 3 nights hotel (since we have to fly from atl-bos or nyc anyways) and a cruise comes out better deal. Now I just have to decide when to go, May or Sept/Oct. Hmmmm....

ok, thanks... but now I am actually interested in this cruise. I priced a flight and 3 nights hotel (since we have to fly from atl-bos or nyc anyways) and a cruise comes out better deal. Now I just have to decide when to go, May or Sept/Oct. Hmmmm....
Sept./Oct.:)

I am glad to hear about that super cool ac. on the Dawn. Will be sailing to Bermuda Aug 29. Those two cuties in your picture are soooooo cute.:)

Hi SRBx2,

Okay, since everyone else has pretty much covered all the useful information, I'll just kick in with a piece of useless, but interesting, trivia.

In the 1800's through the early 1900s, your question would actually have been crucial, since ships, especially sailing ships, had no climate control at all.

When the British ruled India, the trip to The Raj took weeks by ship, and if you were rich, you avoided the hot sun by buying a Port cabin for the outgoing trip, and a Starboard cabin for the return to England. This very expensive option was known as "Port Out, Starboard Home" - or POSH, as we now call those with lots of loot!

Have Fun!

bluesea--we were on dawn the week of Aug 8--we didnt move dock position during the cruise--Our room was in the front under the bridge -we were facing the water as opposed to another ship

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info guys! I just booked the Dawn next fall! Looking forward to seeing something different!

Congrats, you will love it!

We cruised to Bermuda in June on RCL and fell in love with it. Lots of pics and a video slideshow are linked from my signature, if you want a "preview".

Have a blast!

Sue

And keep the drapes closed when not in the cabin!

HA! We DO close 'em! The cabin stewards always open them back up after we leave!

Either way, we'll deal... We always do!

thanks subtchr, I'll have a look!

Archived