Never been to Med - What is best time, weather, less crowds? Advice needed please

true45

We have only cruised the Caribbean & Bermuda but would love to try Europe to celebrate retirement perhaps in October 2011. We are on a budget so we are looking at 7-day itineraries. Any opinions welcome.

Could anyone give us an idea of prices and opinions of shore excursions so that we can plan?

We are so far looking at the Equinox & Constellation. Loved the Solstice and have an Eclipse Carib planned but we love all the ships. It is the ports that we have NO knowledge of -- haven't flown anywhere in years.

Thanks.

I would DEFINETLY avoid the summer months, they are crowded, hotter, families with kids, airfare and cruises are more $$$. The late spring is nice as is the fall months. Whatever you do, fly at least 1 day ahead from the states. Where are you looking at cruising???

Also, avoid May 1...bigger by far than our labor day. We were in the western Med on Summit and a woman who had been to Florence and Rome over five times said she had never seen it that crowded. You couldn't even move.

I would agree that Fall is a good time to go. The itineraries are very port intensive, so you are not in your cabin very much. For a cruise where the airfare is such a large component, for my choice I would go with a cheaper cabin and a longer cruise if you can. Ship's tours in Europe are quite expensive. We have had success with private tours shared with people we met on the Roll Call for our cruise. The only time I would not use a private tour is when the ship docks a long way out of the city (Rome or Florence for example).

Sheila

We were in the Med last month and while we didn't think it was as hot as everyone claimed (we are Floridians, after all), the crowds were the killer. There were lines for almost every site we visited (although pre-booking and private tours helped with that). Just dealing with the volume of tourists is tiring, and sometimes it feels like there's no escape from them. Venice in particular was awful for this.

I would also avoid August, as that's when most of Europe goes on vacation and many shops are closed. We even saw quite a few places closed at the end of July.

I know you said you're on a budget, but I would try to do a cruise longer than 7 days, if you can. When you factor in the time to fly to Europe, getting acclimated to the time difference, and cost, 7 days would feel very short and only allow a short taste of the Med. Besides, I don't think X offers many itineraries of that length - most are 10-12 days. Good luck!

We have only cruised the Caribbean & Bermuda but would love to try Europe to celebrate retirement perhaps in October 2011. We are on a budget so we are looking at 7-day itineraries. Any opinions welcome.

Could anyone give us an idea of prices and opinions of shore excursions so that we can plan?

We are so far looking at the Equinox & Constellation. Loved the Solstice and have an Eclipse Carib planned but we love all the ships. It is the ports that we have NO knowledge of -- haven't flown anywhere in years.

Thanks.

Try to go before October or very early oct as the weather does go of a bit. best time for the med is April - Sept.

We did the first two weeks of Sept last year. Started in Barcelona and the weather was perfect. By the time we got to Santorini and Athens the weather had cooled (for THEM)but was still very warm. But less crowded...uh, relatively speaking. Lots of people made us think what could it be like in the summer?:eek:

When we do it again, we'll do mid Sept thru the end of the month. But, as weather goes, you just never know, do you?

Transatlantic cruises are very inexpensive. The ships have to move Europe to Caribbean anyways so the cruiselines offer reduced rates. Generaly the cruises are 13-15 days and usually have sevaeral ports of call in Europe before heading across the Atlantic. there use to be one that left from Rome and ended in FLL. We did a TA last spring and loved it. Weather was great the crowds weren't too bad. We have also done a Med Cruise end of October and the weather was also great.

Good value for those of us that are on a budget and like sea days.

Whatever you decide- you won't be sorry. Europe is amazing. So much history.

We were on the Equinox last May...departed May 14, I think. We thought the weather was lovely. It was very spring-like the first week (we went early and stayed later so we could have 5 extra days in Rome, and then the cruise was 11 nights). By the time we got to the end of the month it was starting to get warm enough that we noticed it, but not blazing hot by any means.

So, we thought May was a great choice.

As far as the crowds...well! You couldn't stir 'em with a stick at the Vatican or Colosseum. Lots of school kids...Italian school kids on what were probably end of the year field trips? However, I would think the summer would be much more jammed, as others have said. We are going again next May, with a cruise that starts a week earlier, and to a different area. For us, it was ideal. I would also consider Fall....and would avoid summer like the plague, due to heat and crowds. I was a teacher previously and was locked into nothing but summer vacations with the heat and crowds. Now it is a luxury to be able to avoid those months for vacations...

As far as the crowds...well! You couldn't stir 'em with a stick at the Vatican or Colosseum. Lots of school kids...Italian school kids on what were probably end of the year field trips? However, I would think the summer would be much more jammed, as others have said. We are going again next May, with a cruise that starts a week earlier, and to a different area. For us, it was ideal. I would also consider Fall....and would avoid summer like the plague, due to heat and crowds. I was a teacher previously and was locked into nothing but summer vacations with the heat and crowds. Now it is a luxury to be able to avoid those months for vacations...

I was on Oosterdam repo last year, ending in Rome the week before Holy Week. It was school holidays in Europe, and Rome was mobbed with school groups. You couldn't move in the Vatican, couldn't get close to the Trevi Fountain...I was back again in the Vatican in Oct. and it was much, much different. EM

Lots of good info here to share with DH. Will look into TA also & see if we can squeeze more days. Great relaxing time I would imagine on the ship -- we love the sea days. (We watch our 2-1/2 yr old granddaughter for her mom & dad so it complicates timing but May & October seem a good target). Interesting info about Rome, too.

Thanks

I believe the best time to cruise the Med is in September as stated by many above. Oct is not bad but the weather and the seas can be a little shaky (see Med stories from last Oct). The prices in Sep/Oct have started to come down a bit, the weather is great and there are fewer kids. I know you stated that you were on a budget but if you are going to have to fly to Europe why not look for the best deal for 10 or days or so. This few days can mean a huge difference in the # of ports you visit. As far as where you should go you really have to prioritize what is most important to you. Having been to almost every port in the Med from my time in the Navy (and an amazing Greek Island/Aegean/Adriatic cruise) I can tell you that they are almost all great. You have to ask yourself what you want to do. Is the priority on roman/ancient ruins? Art? beaches? Greek islands? Holy lands/Egypt? and the list goes on. Once you decide your priority (unless you are solely price conscious) then look at the alternatives. Once you focus on the area we can begin to tell you what not to miss. Personally Istanbul, Ephesus and Barcelona...and everything in between :)are a few of my faorites (but usually not all available on the same cruise.

Finally although this may be blasphemy on this board but look at the other lines for pricing alternatives. to me the Med is about the ports and not necessarly about the ports. Good luck.

Lots of good info here to share with DH. Will look into TA also & see if we can squeeze more days. Great relaxing time I would imagine on the ship -- we love the sea days. (We watch our 2-1/2 yr old granddaughter for her mom & dad so it complicates timing but May & October seem a good target). Interesting info about Rome, too.

Thanks

Hey Neighbor

We by chance have done West Med in May and East Med in late Oct.

We had more crowds in May than October, but it was rainier in late Oct/early Nov. It threatened for 3 days rained 2 other days. Only got wet in Israel reboarding the ship. If you are interested more in sights than suntan then October is better as the crowds are down considerably. you will need a sweater closer to mid November.

If yo want absolutely no crowds in Europe then Februrary by airplane. Walk in anywhere.

We, too, went to Italy/Greece in mid-May, 2009. Our weather was pleasant and although somewhat crowded, we had no problems getting around by foot or trolley, taxi, etc. If we are lucky enough to go back someday, we'd choose May or early October.

Hope your cruise is everything you hope it to be!

Hello Florida neighbors (we're in Palm Coast) and everyone.

Thanks, good info - we have a place to start. Planning can be fun.

Perhaps we can book Europe during our Jan 15 Eclipse -- for OBC but we are not just looking at Celebrity.

Linda

We went in Oct. Naples, Florence, Rome, Istanbul, Athens, Santorini, Mykonos. Started in Barcelona and ended in Venice. The weather was fabulous everywhere but Venice. Only in upper 50s to lower 60s. Not overly crowded. It was an amazing cruise.

Linda

We prefer May...the weather is perfect, we never found any crowding, and the days were getting longer, which is always nice.

I have also been in the Mediterranean in September, October and November. September was still quite busy, but the weather was very nice. It started to cool off fairly quickly in October, and we had more rainy days in the second half of October. Early November was very cold and rainy both times we have been in Italy.

We experienced the flooding in Venice in late October/early November. Very interesting!

Would also recommend if you can spend a little more time in Europe, you will be pleased that you did. :) Consider the amount of $$ you will be spending on air. We paid almost as much for air than we did for an 11 night Celebrity cruise (after several price drops May 09...and that was 1A balcony....could have been less $$ than out air, if we booked on inside)...and we booked our air 10 months ahead.

The difference in price between a 7 day and 11 day cruise are not that much more. And if this is a "once in a lifetime" trip...you deserve it!

Your time on "land" for lodging, food etc may be more than you pay for something equivilent in USA...since you pay in euros. But you pay for the cruise in USD....no matter where you go! Cruising is a good $$ value in Europe.

Check out Celebrity and see what they have late summer or early fall. You can also check out the tours they offer as well. If you can swing it, you shuld do 10 to 14 days. We alwasy book everything through Celebrity. Good luck and enjoy your cruise:)

I won't repeat the advice already given.

Basically what you have to do is decide which part of the Med you wish to see. If it's a once in a lifetime trip many want to include Rome and maybe Florence with the south of France and Spain or Rome then going to the East (Greece, Turkey etc)

Many cruises start in Venice and take in the East.

Once you've never been to Europe many Americans seem to prefer the west often starting in Barcelona.

If possible try and spend a couple of days in the Port your're sailing from. You'll get to see a tiny part of Europe properly, see it in the evening too and you won't be jet lagged when you start your cruise.

Archived