Best check-in time

exbodcon

Hi, Travelling on Oriana from Southampton and told check-in opens at 14:00.

Have heard of passengers getting on board earlier and having lunch.

From experience, what is the earliest or best time to board ?

Thanks

We live near the port and have usually arrived at 11.30ish and been on board having lunch by 12.15. I think people are given different times to stagger arrivals but it doesn't always work. Coaches tend to arrive between 2 and 3pm so that tends to be busy.

Carole

You shouldn't be choosing when to check in at all. You should be adhering to your own check in time printed on your ticket. This will ensure the terminal isn't overcrowded and that the check in process is as quick as it can be.

We live close, Isle of wight, and aim to get there as soon as possible. We are usually very near ther front of the queue, were 2nd on one occassion, and consequently on board very soon after desks open at noon.

Have a souper crooze

Mike

ps. If you can, ignore the time given. I have known a party, who booked with linked bookings, to be given hopelessy different times.

You shouldn't be choosing when to check in at all. You should be adhering to your own check in time printed on your ticket. This will ensure the terminal isn't overcrowded and that the check in process is as quick as it can be.

Now your handle wouldn't have anything to do with that advice would it? :)

Mind you, I am with you, adhere to the checkin time given.:D

Mind you, once going to Dover we left home with 2-3 hours in hand, liesurely drive down, over the QE Bridge, slowly down the motorway, top the car up with fuel, buy sweets, papers etc.

Reality, the M25 was closed, the motorway was jammed, and we arrived in a lather with 30 minutes to spare. The glass of champagne pushed into our hands as we boarded was as welcome as the photographers mugging us as we tried to board.

Mind you, once going to Dover we left home with 2-3 hours in hand, liesurely drive down, over the QE Bridge, slowly down the motorway, top the car up with fuel, buy sweets, papers etc.

Reality, the M25 was closed, the motorway was jammed, and we arrived in a lather with 30 minutes to spare. The glass of champagne pushed into our hands as we boarded was as welcome as the photographers mugging us as we tried to board.

We've started staying overnight in the Hampshire or Berkshire area the night before - we were beginning t find that the drive from Sheffield left us too stressed & tired to enjoy that first day at all. Which means that we might be arriving at Southampton quite early, and then what do you do? In the case of our last cruise embarkation day was warm and sunny so we spent an hour or so parked up in Mayflower Park, relaxing, and got round to the terminal not to far in advance of our 12:30 checkin. But the next cruise is in September, so less likely to be warm, etc, and our checkin time is 2:30pm, so I don't know what we'll do other than arrive early. I'd rather not spend several hours sampling the delights of Rownhams services on the M27.

I just do as I'm told; even seem to be lucky getting given 'early' check-in times anyway.

The bottom line imo is that nobody wants to be faced with excessive crowding and delays. I'd be interested to see the number of people disregarding their check in time and then complaining about overcrowding.

I think the point is that if you are driving from Devon, you would obviously leave home by 9 and if driving normally, would get there at about 12.30 or 13.00. My first checkin time on my e-ticket was 1400 with a checkin close of 1615. The second time I looked, my checkin was 1500 with a checkin close of 1545.

Now there is no way I would leave home at noon for a checkin on 1500, just in case something happened. So what am I supposed to do, leave at 9 and then hang around in Southampton waiting for my 1500 checkin? I don't think so.

The Eavesway coaches come into the port from all over the country at staggered times from 1- 3.30pm thus ensuring quite a few passengers are arriving at different times anyway. Check in opens at noon, arrive anytime after that and you will not be turned away.

My advice get there at approx 11am to 11/30am, they don't start embarkation until 12 noon, but you will be one of the first in the queue. In the new terminal you dont even need to queue, you will be given a card with a letter A,B.C etc as you arrive, you can then go and sit down, get a drink, and wait for your letter to be called, starting at the A's.

At the Azura naming ceremony instead of letters, I believe the cards were numbered .:)

P&O and most Passengers take absolutely no notice of check in times printed on your ticket.:eek:

Thanks for all the advice.

Have also now had check-in on e-ticket changed from 14:00 to 15:00 closing at 15:45 !

BTW - sailing on first leg of Oriana World Cruise from Southampton to San Francisco departing 23 September.

There is no food in the terminal but have never been there long enough to need any. Lunch is served on board in the self service, then afternoon tea, so there is always something to eat no matter what time you get on board. The ships now depart at 4:30 so you need to be at check in by 3:45 latest.

Brian

I am on Ventura 4th Sept. when we arrive at the port i think berth 46 is there anything there to get food maybe a drink somewhere to enjoy these in comfort etc

hi...my husband and i are on the ventura on 4th sept also..have been told there is a lounge where u can have tea or a drink....looking forward to getting away hope the weather is kind to us:cool:

Archived