a few pounds heavier, what style?

Well gals, I hate to admit it but I am a few pounds heavier than most of my gown would allow. My doctor and I both would like me to loose 10 lbs, although I am "OK" health wise in my weight.

However, I may not be slimmed down by my "Hopefully" cruise in Nov/Dec. My husband is trying to figure if he can get away then.

So I'm just under 5'4" and around 140lbs. I need some style suggestions... I'm thinking mermaid style with some sheering? Something with some structure so my little rolls here and there don't stand out.

I don't want to go to Matronly, as I'm a very young 43.

Any suggestions before I go gown shopping are welcome.

Well gals, I hate to admit it but I am a few pounds heavier than most of my gown would allow. My doctor and I both would like me to loose 10 lbs, although I am "OK" health wise in my weight.

However, I may not be slimmed down by my "Hopefully" cruise in Nov/Dec. My husband is trying to figure if he can get away then.

So I'm just under 5'4" and around 140lbs. I need some style suggestions... I'm thinking mermaid style with some sheering? Something with some structure so my little rolls here and there don't stand out.

I don't want to go to Matronly, as I'm a very young 43.

Any suggestions before I go gown shopping are welcome.

I suggest you try some styles with Shutter pleats. They hide a multitude of little bulges :)

Jane

Oh how I feel your pain! I've gained twenty and am absolutely stuck. My doctor tells me it's all part of hitting your 40s and that whole my-metabolism-just-hit-concrete phase.

Jane's suggestion for shutter pleats (didn't know that's what they are called) is a great one. I have a skirt and dress with those pleats and they are like miracles! For me it's also fabric choice (lightweight knits show too many bumps and bulges) and correct fit. A shapely dress can look fantastic if it isn't too tight, and that's what I find is more attractive and less matronly. I've tried dresses with less shape to hide what I'm unhappy with and find they are really aging.

Good luck with your shopping, and that 10#!

Hi Suzanne, I happend to catch yesterday's episode of the Rachael Ray show and her guest was Charla Krupp, the author of "How to Never Look Fat Again" In her book she gives a lot of suggestions and ideas for dressing to give the slimming affect. She had some before and after photos of women in different sytles of clothing and how dressing a certain way will make you look 10 lbs thinner.

It was a very interesting show. See if your local library has the book, she had a lot of great ideas.

Cari :)

Rouching, rouching, rouching -- a girl's best friend!!!

Amen to that! Rouching works for everyone.

The shutter pleat dresses are also a godsend. I purchased one (with 3/4 sleeves to control my flabby arms) for my Sept cruise. Looks great and super comfy.

Search using the keywords "shutter pleat" on Nordstrom.com and you'll see many examples of what this style looks like. A lot of styles are gowns, too (rather than what I'd call "dresses"), if that's what you're looking for.

03336446_zi?layer=comp&op_usm=2.0,0.5&&rgn=0,0,1760,2040&scl=6.666666666666667&fmt=jpeg&id=1Fe26tgZDCenScJeysnvag

This was the dress that caught my eye on the rack, but now that I see it on this model I'm not so sure about it?

Maybe something like this might be better with a nice tummy controller underneath?

03326962_zi?layer=comp&op_usm=2.0,0.5&&rgn=0,0,1760,2040&scl=6.666666666666667&fmt=jpeg&id=3GIlc3nL_nWq--TJ9JiqZu

I really like dress #2, very simple & elegant, seems like it'll flow over any problem areas rather than accentuate them.

I've just lost 15 or so, but still think of me being "bulgee".. so my trick for my 5' 8 frame and remaining size..is wear tops and bottoms that "Skim" over my parts. Separates with a jacket, or, an over my tank or cami top, and sash or belt at my waist..loose and flowing. a nice low cut decolete', and hunky jewelry that makes ladies, and gents pay attention to that part. I've had peeps offer to buy my things off my neck n ears, but never my clothes..(well there was one once)My "angel wings" are my fit prob. But by the good grace of Chicos, and other nicely cut things, I can easily find my matches. I have a seamstress that will alter for a better fit. I am very concious about how I appear everywhere! FIT is everything. Better a little "swimmy" (my term for larger fit) than to let everyone see my less than best parts ! Plus Depts are where I head 1st, then work down. Simple lines with great details, and flattering colours, with a comfortable and forgiving skirt,or pant.

Archived