carry on luggage restrictions

We are cruising to Canada and flying home from Montreal in 2 weeks. I have been told that Canada to US flights do not allow ladies to carry on any luggage and only a medium size purse. Has anyone encountered this recently? I could not see an answer on any website I checked.

The information you have is very, very wrong. Carry on rules out of Montreal are fundamentally the same as for most other airports in North America.

That said, allow plenty of time to process through that airport. You clear US Immigration and Customs and the Canadian security (similar to the TSA) before boarding your flight. The most recent time I departured that airport, a few weeks ago, I was in that line for over 2 hours.

There is Duty Free shopping once you go through all that but the food choices for your own meal or take on board your flight is not good at all.

We are cruising to Canada and flying home from Montreal in 2 weeks. I have been told that Canada to US flights do not allow ladies to carry on any luggage and only a medium size purse. Has anyone encountered this recently? I could not see an answer on any website I checked.

The information you had is outdated. It was imposed by the US after the Christmas underwear bomber incident. It was quite temporary. Current rules are at

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=78&pname=carryonbaggage_bagagedecabine&lang=en

A 2 hour line at Montreal would be unusual Maybe it was a holiday ?

Thank you so much. I was in mourning (smile) to think I couldn't take my carry on backpack. It's such a relief to know I can go as usual. And thanks for the warnings about time to clear and food selections. CC people are simply the BEST!:D

Have a wonderful cruise.

Be sure to give yourself a lot of time at the Vancouver airport to get through USA customs.

Sometimes the process is quite fast and other times it is very slow.

Keith

The OP is flying from Montreal so won't have to worry about the lines at Vancouver.:)

One other thing I can add is that we found security at Montreal to be among the toughest and strictest we've ever encountered (not wrong or bad, just an observation). Your liquids must be in a 1 quart zipper baggie. Anything larger (like I had and have always used) and you will be made to re-organize your items. The lines were long and frustrating; give yourself plenty of time to get where you need to go.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I have found security at all Canadian airports to be much stricter than that in the US. I have a very small bottle of hand sanitizer attached to the top of my backpack that's been through airports all over the world and never placed in the liquid baggie.

At Halifax, I was pulled out of line and "enjoyed" a full pat down and search because of this container. I was told I may have gotten away with it in other places but, "In Canada we do it right".

At Halifax, I was pulled out of line and "enjoyed" a full pat down and search because of this container. I was told I may have gotten away with it in other places but, "In Canada we do it right".

Oh my goodness. On behalf of Canadians I'm sorry you went through this and were subjected to such rudeness and condescension. :( I'm sure you were not trying to "get away with" anything. Come back and see us, OK? :)

Archived