OMG, how to book for 5?!?

utseabee

I have recently returned from my first cruise, and am ready to start planning my next! Next time, we want to go as a family. Is there an easy way to research costs for 5? (2 adults, 3 kids)

I've looked at booking a big room, at booking 2 rooms, one cheap room, one nice room...I'm getting a headache entering my information into the search engines over and over again!

Get a good TA and let them do the research for you :D personally I would book 1 adult and 1 child in one room and 1 adult and 2 children in other room. Get balcony cabins side-by-side so you can have acess to both rooms.

You're right that booking for 5 is a complete PITA, but if you like to do your own research, mtaylor's advice is sound. It helps to book far in advance so you have more cabin options. We sometimes book a balcony and an inside across the hall to save some $$. Yes on the one-adult-in-each-cabin arrangement. If the kids are old enough to sleep separately you can rearrange easily after you board.

Some cruise lines have adjoining cabins but these usually go fast so go hunting early. A few ships have 'family suites' or some such, but (on Princess anyway) these are not good values--they're right at the front of the ship and cost a LOT. Other lines have different arrangements but again, start your hunt early and definitely check the price against two cabins. (Another advantage of two cabins is--two bathrooms!) IME no cruise line allows more than 4 people in a suite, even if it's 1200 sf. Good luck!

How old are the kids? If they are all under age 12, I'm not so certain that a separate cabin is the best idea. If the kids are teens, then go for it. But I wouldn't trust young kids in a cabin alone unless it's a connecting cabin.

NCL has 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suites that offer butler services and concierge. Many can sleep up to 6 depending on the ship. We loved these suites and having a hot breakfast delivered and set up in the living/dining room was so relaxing and made for a very enjoyable morning. The NCL suite perks are really great!

Royal Caribbean has several options for families of 5, especially on the newer ships, and not just suites so they aren't always the most expensive options on the ships. Definitely look into a good travel agent and have them do the legwork for you - comparing cruise lines, ships, one stateroom versus two, etc.

If your kids are young, I would book two connecting rooms. If your kids are older, I would book a balcony for you and your husband, and an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. (On most cruiselines, you do NOT have to book an adult into each cabin if your kids are across the hall or next door)

So much depends on the ages of your children and the cruiseline's policy on "one adult per cabin", etc so yes, get a TA to do the heavy lifting for you because there will be any number of options.

Funny story: A family of 5 was next door to us - parents in the verandah cabin and the kids across the corridor in the inside cabin. The parents had a key to the inside cabin and the kids had a key to the parents cabin and they seemed to spend the trip trying out the various permutations of who slept in which cabin/bed. Standard family life really :) Anyway one morning I heard the Dad patiently explaining to one of the kids that if they want check out of the Kids Club to come and visit Mom and Dad during the afternoon for any reason could they please knock first because it's not always, ahem, convenient? :o

Carnival Dream has some family cabins that sleep up to 5, and has sort of 1 1/2 baths. One bathroom has a shower, toilet, and sink - the other has a half-tub/shower and sink.

On pretty much any cruise line, a balcony or better for the adults and kids room an inside directly opposite.

You can get extra keys to the cabins, with or without charge privileges. Any restrictions on booking the cabins are easily dealt with once on the ship.

Deadbolts win every time.

We are a family of five, comes with some challenges everytime with hotels and cruises.

Generally we do two rooms a double and a triple. Once we did 5 on Disney.

I have recently returned from my first cruise, and am ready to start planning my next! Next time, we want to go as a family. Is there an easy way to research costs for 5? (2 adults, 3 kids)

I've looked at booking a big room, at booking 2 rooms, one cheap room, one nice room...I'm getting a headache entering my information into the search engines over and over again!

We've booked for 5 through the years. We had 2 connectioning inside cabins on one cruise. It gave us 2 bathrooms and since they are so small, it really helps. You can book Oceanview same way or balcony, depending on age of the kids. We've also booked a balcony cabin with an inside across the hall (older kids). First get a Travel Agent who specializes in cruises. Ours ONLY books cruises. Explain the dynamics..ages of children and you need to book for 5. We actually found out on one cruise that we came out cheaper getting the balcony cabin for 2 and an inside cabin for 3 kids. We wouldn't have known that w/o the Travel Agent. We had requested 2 in one balcony cabin and 3 in the other. The Travel agent called back and said, "I did a few comparisons and found this is cheaper. Which would you prefer?" He helps find the cabins that are best..connecting or near an elevator or whatever. Our next cruise, we have balcony cabin and a Promenade cabin. We aren't keen, even though they are teens, with them having a balcony cabin because we don't want to chance them acting goofy and an accident. This way they have a view, but not one they can stand on a chair and fall off of...:eek:. The research is just a pain because you have to locate cabins with the little symbols for "accomodates 3" next to one that is for 2, then check for obstucted view or whether is accomodates 3 AND has a connecting door that can be left open..just gives me a headache. I call him and he's back with me within the hour with all the options...and an on board credit :D.

Another option that just occurred to me: On some Royal Caribbean ships (Voyager and Freedom class), the last side-facing balcony cabin on deck 9 connects to an inside. The first side-facing balcony cabin on deck 9 connects to an oceanview (window) cabin. There are only two combinations of each of these options on the ship, so they are hard to find unless you book early. But it's a way to have connecting cabins with only one of them being a balcony.

We have three kids at home and booked two oceanview cabins on the Navigator with a connecting door. We could leave the door open and have a large cabin. It worked well, we didn't miss the balcony because we saved so much money, and the two bathrooms were fantastic! If we wanted to stay up later, we could close the door at night and the kids could go to bed or they could watch movies while we had a peaceful time reading or talking in the next room.

Thanks! I think I like the idea of two cabins better, either two connecting rooms to make one big room, or one room for me and the girls and one room for Daddy and and boy.

I will start looking for a real TA too, since most cruiseline websites I can't seem to figure out how to book a specific stateroom.

Thanks! I think I like the idea of two cabins better, either two connecting rooms to make one big room, or one room for me and the girls and one room for Daddy and and boy.

I will start looking for a real TA too, since most cruiseline websites I can't seem to figure out how to book a specific stateroom.

How old are your children? I hardly think you need to seperate them by sex,, we have three kids,, and when we first took them cruising they were 10,14,and 16. Girl ,, boy , boy. On Princess we booked a balcony for us and an inside across hall for kids.

Archived