How much can you ask of a butler?

s&l

Yes

It is traditional to give the tip on the last day, however, the logic behind tipping on the first day is that if you are a good tipper you will hopefully get improved service. If you are a good tipper on the last day, it is already too late for the butler to improve.

What do YOU think?? :cool:

!

He is paid a tip to reward him for good service, not to bribe him to give good service. If he needs an advance tip to ensure that he does what he is paid to do, he is a lousy butler and should both not get a tip at all and also be fired.

DON

He is paid a tip to reward him for good service, not to bribe him to give good service. If he needs an advance tip to ensure that he does what he is paid to do, he is a lousy butler and should both not get a tip at all and also be fired.

DON

You are obviously not from New York. I have noticed that New Yorkers even tip the maitre d' in restaurants before the meal begins! They want to be treated as "machas" (big shots).

This thread truly perplexes me. I thought the whole idea behind having "automatic" gratuities was to take away the entire tipping issue and let everyone simply enjoy their cruise and not worry about if I should tip and how much. .

That is how it should be

You do not have to tip further

Some may want to tip more but certainly not required

Just enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Tipping is such a personal thing....What one guest thinks is enough is too much or too little to some. I really think that when O (and other cruise lines) added the automatic gratuities, it was more to assure that everyone tipped and that those tips were distributed fairly. I know that you can decrease or cancel the automatic gratuitity, but I doubt if many people do that (I could be wrong....)

For those of us that tip the butler at the beginning of the cruise, I resent it being called a "bribe," and even if I am from New York I am hardly a "Big Shot" nor do I try to be! I think sometimes when people do something different from what you do, it is assumed that they are wrong. My husband also wears a sports coat to dinner....OMG!

I always love butler threads about what a guest can expect of a cruise ship butler. Tipping I stay away from, as that is a personal matter.

As a butler once told the DW - " I am here to do all the work. Your only job is to enjoy yourself".

DW packs everything in clearly marked baggies. The butler does all unpacking, taking any wrinkled clothes out for pressing and then all repacking into the marked bags.

All errands are performed by the butler. If there is a billing question, the butler goes to the desk to straighten it out for his guest.

In suite meals are served at the time the guest desires, course by course. Dining is set to your schedule, not the other way around.

Reservations for a restaurant should be handled by the butler. The senior butler on a ship, handling the top suite, should be able to get you into any venue.

Want a special dish in the restaurant - Ask the butler to talk to the head chef. Even have had the chef go buy the ingredients at the next port.

Flat screen TV not working at midnight, call the butler. Whirlpool tub won't turn on, call the butler.

Lost the power cord for one of your electronic devices - The really great butler goes ashore at the next stop and buys one for you!

Party in your suite for all the people on the Roll Call (40 people), the butler handles all preparations and serves the drinks and canapes on the balcony.

Shoes got really dirty from mud on a rainy shore excursion - The butler washes and polishes them for the next morning.

The DW goes ashore with a very heavy rolling camera bag and other items for a shore excursion - The butler acts as a porter and takes everything off the ship directly to the van, so she doesn't have to carry anything.

Need to have your party on the first tender, because you are running a private shore excursion. The butler did it.

Now, I don't say this will happen every time with every butler and it may vary with which level of suite you are in, but a really good butler has only one job and that is to take care of you and all your needs. The steward and his assistant have a different job and that is to take care of the suite.

Many people say, "Oh, I don't use the butler or see any need for one." Personally, I think these folks have a hidden fear of what they perceive as "ordering" someone to do something for them.

In closing - Enjoy your cruise and let the butler do all the work!

I'm

SeaSiq

You are obviously not from New York. I have noticed that New Yorkers even tip the maitre d' in restaurants before the meal begins! They want to be treated as "machas" (big shots).

Not ALL New Yorkers do this! As a New Yorker, I've never even seen it happen. I must be patronizing the wrong places.

I always love butler threads about what a guest can expect of a cruise ship butler. Tipping I stay away from, as that is a personal matter.

As a butler once told the DW - " I am here to do all the work. Your only job is to enjoy yourself".

DW packs everything in clearly marked baggies. The butler does all unpacking, taking any wrinkled clothes out for pressing and then all repacking into the marked bags.

All errands are performed by the butler. If there is a billing question, the butler goes to the desk to straighten it out for his guest.

In suite meals are served at the time the guest desires, course by course. Dining is set to your schedule, not the other way around.

Reservations for a restaurant should be handled by the butler. The senior butler on a ship, handling the top suite, should be able to get you into any venue.

Want a special dish in the restaurant - Ask the butler to talk to the head chef. Even have had the chef go buy the ingredients at the next port.

Flat screen TV not working at midnight, call the butler. Whirlpool tub won't turn on, call the butler.

Lost the power cord for one of your electronic devices - The really great butler goes ashore at the next stop and buys one for you!

Party in your suite for all the people on the Roll Call (40 people), the butler handles all preparations and serves the drinks and canapes on the balcony.

Shoes got really dirty from mud on a rainy shore excursion - The butler washes and polishes them for the next morning.

The DW goes ashore with a very heavy rolling camera bag and other items for a shore excursion - The butler acts as a porter and takes everything off the ship directly to the van, so she doesn't have to carry anything.

Need to have your party on the first tender, because you are running a private shore excursion. The butler did it.

Now, I don't say this will happen every time with every butler and it may vary with which level of suite you are in, but a really good butler has only one job and that is to take care of you and all your needs. The steward and his assistant have a different job and that is to take care of the suite.

Many people say, "Oh, I don't use the butler or see any need for one." Personally, I think these folks have a hidden fear of what they perceive as "ordering" someone to do something for them.

In closing - Enjoy your cruise and let the butler do all the work!

I'm

SeaSiq

Beautifully said! I only wish that I could have phrased it that well.

:D

Not ALL New Yorkers do this! As a New Yorker, I've never even seen it happen. I must be patronizing the wrong places.

I don't think all New Yorkers do that. BTW: I am actually a former New Yorker, born in Manhattan, educated in Riverdale.

SeaSiq

That would be one busy butler :eek:

I hope he does not have too many cabins to service

I am too low maintenance to make use of a butler but I am glad others can enjoy them ;)

Lyn

The senior butler on a ship is often the highest paid of the hotel staff. Even though the butlers are on duty 24/7, they share the workload. A different butler may show up to handle off hours requests. The butlers in some cases carry cell or other portable phones and they provide that number to their guests.

Another thing, never finish a cruise feeling that the butler did not do the things you desired. The time to resolve that is as soon as it happens. Talk to your butler, the senior butler or the Hotel Director. It is your money, often in very large amounts, so get what you paid for.

Now for the interesting part - Due to business commitments, the DW and I cannot currently travel together and I have never had a butler on cruise, nor even been in a suite. The DW, on the other hand, never books anything but suites that provide butler service. Her experiences range from PH size suites on Oceania to some of the largest suites afloat. Imagine wandering around a 2000 square foot suite for 2 weeks as a single. The photos of her dining at alone at a table that seated 12 were really amazing.

So, I am really reporting her experiences with butler as told to me.

I'm still

SeaSiq

ORV,

Will not let DW see your comment, her response might burn up our computer. You see, she is extremely active on all of her cruises, going on and sometimes guiding shore excursions, holding functions ensuite or in public areas, having spa treatments, etc.

She absolutely hates any idea that a woman traveling alone is someone to be pitied. Some of her friends and acquaintances cannot understand how she has the "nerve" to do all she does, all around the world, on her own. Dining alone for her is simply a respite from the day's activity. She has even asked her butler to handle any calls or the door bell and offer her apologies, that she doesn't want to be disturbed for a while.

If you have the chance to meet this lady, never, ever tell her you are sorry that she has to travel alone!

SeaSiq er?

ORV,

Will not let DW see your comment, her response might burn up our computer. You see, she is extremely active on all of her cruises, going on and sometimes guiding shore excursions, holding functions ensuite or in public areas, having spa treatments, etc.

She absolutely hates any idea that a woman traveling alone is someone to be pitied. Some of her friends and acquaintances cannot understand how she has the "nerve" to do all she does, all around the world, on her own. Dining alone for her is simply a respite from the day's activity. She has even asked her butler to handle any calls or the door bell and offer her apologies, that she doesn't want to be disturbed for a while.

If you have the chance to meet this lady, never, ever tell her you are sorry that she has to travel alone!

SeaSiq er?

Is she a TA?

For those of you who don't like the idea of first day tipping, on day one I just try charm, but always ask about what day they get off the ship for a port day. Then I make sure they get a little (maybe not too little) spending money for their day off. Most have been very pleased and let us know it the rest of the trip.

I think we would get the same basic service either way, but they wouldn't be offering suggestions on how else they could make our trip special. I so like to feel special!

I will have my "first" cruise butler on my upcoming Marina cruise.

As a former New Yorker who never tipped in advance (where did that idea come from??), I do not intend to do so on the cruise. I do not think it is my job to make sure the butler has spending money on his shore day. His gratuities have been set by O and have been paid.

I doubt I will make much use of the butler -- I don't want anyone packing or unpacking for me -- but I will certainly consider an extra tip at the end of the cruise if I feel he has done an extraordinary job (as I do with the room steward).

I have never encountered a room steward who did not work his/her tail off without an advance tip. Why should a butler be any different?

Laraine,

You are exactly right. At the risk of repeating myself and getting into the tipping discussion, a good butler will work his tail off based on his training and his personality. A "bad" butler will try to do the minimum, regardless of being pre-tipped or not. The key is to nicely inform the latter that he is not doing what you expect of him. Be specific. If that doesn't work, escalate.

Remember, your butler is there to take care of YOU. The steward is there to take care of the room.

Try this one. On a sea day, DW told butler she was going to the gym and then wanted dinner at a certain time after a bath. When she returned, the butler had filled the bathtub, sprinkled in rose petals, poured a glass of wine from a special vintage she had brought on board and turned on a soft music DVD. Pretty good initiative and something she had not even asked for.

Senior butlers and those truly trained at a school on how to be a butler seem to do this best. Stewards who are promoted to butlers without any training don't really seem to grasp the nuances of being a servant (NOT a demeaning word, simply one who serves others) to their guest.

As always, enjoy your cruise.

I'm

SeaSiq

Try this one. On a sea day, DW told butler she was going to the gym and then wanted dinner at a certain time after a bath. When she returned, the butler had filled the bathtub, sprinkled in rose petals, poured a glass of wine from a special vintage she had brought on board and turned on a soft music DVD.

SeaSiq

I'd rather have my husband do that! LOLOL

Unless, of course, the butler is George Clooney.

Heard that since George has broken up with his girlfriend, he will be accepting a butler job on the Riviera........

I'd gladly pay the price to upgrade to a PH or above for that experience and even use the bathtub for more than hanging the laundry! :)

Archived