Just got off voyager

Wendy, we used the Barbados excursion and it was excellent. Only 35 passengers. I missed the helicopter flight at Antigua since we skipped the port. We did our own thing at P.Rico.

We could only get category F, Deck 9, when we booked. The rest were booked. Anyway, we decided not to take the offer. Next Monday will show whether we can expect a tropical storm from Africa.

Wendy, we used the Barbados excursion and it was excellent. Only 25 passengers. I missed the helicopter flight at Antigua since we skipped the port. We did our own thing at P.Rico.

We could only get category F, Deck 9, when we booked. The rest were booked. Anyway, we decided not to take the offer. Next Monday will show whether we can expect a tropical storm from Africa.

The very reason we decided to try Regent is because of the less formal dress, open any-time seating for dining, and all-inclusiveness without having to sign for every little thing. Not to mention the non-liberal smoking policy. All pluses for us. I was also hoping to avoid the long waits and lineups for disembarking on excursions, so hope that isn't going to be a problem as some posts suggested recently. I can't wait to experience Regent, to see how it stacks up against others we've sailed. The price difference better be worth it! (DH is skeptical, but since it's my choice this time - bithday celebration - he's not kicking too hard).

TC, I'll be sure to come calling if the steward(ess) gives us any grief over stocking our favored tipples. :D Champagne is not one of them.

We'll all be looking out for you on your first Regent cruise. We will have the best General Manager on board -- he makes certain that everything runs well!

but not wanting to enter the compare and contrast category/arguments.

Currently we are on Crystal sailing from Venice [a most beautiful port to sail into/out of] to Istanbul. I will save my comments for my return. However, I note the repeated comments/ concerns about smoking articulated by many of you. You speak as though 'policy' dictates all.

I have seen very little smoking and experienced no second hand smoke on this cruise. I cannot make the same comment about the Voyager's pool bar & Voyager Lounge where we were often inundated with smoke. So 'policy' is not everything....passengers, proximity of smoking areas, ventilation,etc enter into the mix. I guess that basically I don't comprehend why one would pre-judge a cruise line based on something they've never experienced....although I respect your privilege to do so.

Paula

I guess that basically I don't comprehend why one would pre-judge a cruise line based on something they've never experienced...

Simple in our case -- we can't afford to make a mistake, or waste a trip on a learning experience. Policy is a good starting place to make a judgment. If reality is different, they should say so.

We're not been disappointed with Oceania or Regent so far, and have little desire to take any risks.

but not wanting to enter the compare and contrast category/arguments.

Currently we are on Crystal sailing from Venice [a most beautiful port to sail into/out of] to Istanbul. I will save my comments for my return. However, I note the repeated comments/ concerns about smoking articulated by many of you. You speak as though 'policy' dictates all.

I have seen very little smoking and experienced no second hand smoke on this cruise. I cannot make the same comment about the Voyager's pool bar & Voyager Lounge where we were often inundated with smoke. So 'policy' is not everything....passengers, proximity of smoking areas, ventilation,etc enter into the mix. I guess that basically I don't comprehend why one would pre-judge a cruise line based on something they've never experienced....although I respect your privilege to do so.

Paula

Paula, the reason there are so many people smoking in the pool bar area and Voyager Lounge is because they can't smoke in their suites or balconies. When there are such limited places to smoke, all smokers must converge on these areas. My concern about smoking on Crystal, Silversea and Seabourn is entering a cabin that had a previous smoker (someone recently commented on stale smoke in a suite on the Odyssey on the Seabourn board) or having someone smoking on the next balcony. The smoking issue is one that can get out of hand quickly on these boards. I always wonder why passengers feel so strongly about smoking in their suite/cabins when most of them do not smoke in their homes and cannot smoke indoors at almost all public places:confused:

In terms of judging a cruise line without having been on it. . . . first, I agree with hordorner -- can't afford to make a mistake. Based on research, Crystal definitely has the best entertainment, perhaps the best food and excellent service. The ships are gorgeous. However, true all-inclusivity is important to us (no signing, no tipping as well as larger standard cabins and the type of "open seating" that Silversea, Seabourn and Regent have.) In a way, "pre-judging" a cruise line is not much different that pre-judging a hotel or even a city -- people do research and design their vacations based upon their perception of the place/hotel/cruiseline, etc.

Looking forward to your review when you get back.

I'm with hondorner. I came into the cruise market 10 years ago with my first trip being the PG, thinking that very few cruise ships would suit us in the slightest. This is still the case, so I would be very careful before booking something new.

But Paula, I hope you have a great time and tell us all about it afterwards!

Some of these comments are indeed disturbing as my husband and I are booked on our first Regent cruise on the Voyager, leaving from Venice on October 17th. We too have never splurged this much for a cruise and are so looking forward to it! We are in stateroom 655 and look forward to our trip of a lifetime--I will definitely post our experiences when we return. Right now, we are just hoping for good weather, good excursions, a beautiful ship and a fantastic experience. I might even stop reading these postings for the next 45 days!:)

I wrote a lengthy note which either got lost in space or deleted. Let me try again.

Re: my above note...I think that I expressed myself somewhat clumsily regarding the smoking issue....perhaps out of frustration at its repetition or perhaps because folks express themselves with certitude but without experience...or perhaps, a cranky mood.

I agree that cruising is expensive and of course, concur that we all of us ...whether considering land or sea vacations...should gather information

which in course will lead to impressions that will guide our choices. [bTW, regarding the high tariff, I've always been puzzled when someone reports a very negative experience and others reply that it was just a bad cruise and they should give it another try!!!]

I would hate to find myself in a smoke impregnated room, on land or sea.

Fortunately, I have been lucky during my many years of travel to have suffered this but once [and in a hotel]. I am not discussing the rights of anyone to smoke..nor even preferences regarding smoking. However, I think that the 'smoke' issue is a bit more complex than a line's formal policy and includes pax cooperating with the rules, physical plant/designed areas, ventilation,etc. TC, the area where pax may smoke at the pool bar and in the Voyager Lounge are directly next to non smoking seats and the ventilation is non existent at the pool and poor in the lounge. It's not my impression that their not being able to smoke in their cabins that is the problem, but rather the setting.... just my 'read' on it. Whenever I read a post that indicates that R's smoking policy strongly influenced the person's choice of line, a wave of irony sweeps over me for it is on Voyager,a favorite ship of mine, that I have experienced lots of 2nd hand smoke.

Whenever I read a post that indicates that R's smoking policy strongly influenced the person's choice of line, a wave of irony sweeps over me for it is on Voyager,a favorite ship of mine, that I have experienced lots of 2nd hand smoke.

Thank you for addressing that issue. Again, different experiences. On our last Voyager cruise we sat at the Pool Bar a couple of times (they made the best chocolate martini's there:-) because there were so few people smoking and they were all on the other side of the bar.

In terms of choosing a cruise line based on smoking policy. When I mentioned that we were going on Silversea, several people asked me to report back on the smoking situation (which I will do). They said that they would love to try Silversea. . . . except for their smoking policy and they don't want to risk it.

Still looking forward to hearing about the food, service, entertainment and the general feel of Crystal. . . . mainly because it is the one luxury cruise line that, in some ways, is quite different than the others.:)

Still looking forward to hearing about the food, service, entertainment and the general feel of Crystal. . . . mainly because it is the one luxury cruise line that, in some ways, is quite different than the others.:)

I sailed on Crystal earlier this year. My review is the 3rd listing in this thread, although the first listing was fair also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1157800&highlight=panama+canal

My opinion overall? We like Regent better. Between the formal nights, smoking policy, liquor/wine policy, these all to me, make Regent better. One thing that Crystal had we really did enjoy, however, was the lecturers on board. They beat Regent easily.

I sailed on Crystal earlier this year. My review is the 3rd listing in this thread, although the first listing was fair also.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1157800&highlight=panama+canal

My opinion overall? We like Regent better. Between the formal nights, smoking policy, liquor/wine policy, these all to me, make Regent better. One thing that Crystal had we really did enjoy, however, was the lecturers on board. They beat Regent easily.

What a lovely review -- enjoyed it very much. What you wrote is pretty much what I expected (but you stated it in such a nice way). Did you also post a review of the Odyssey somewhere?

Assuming you meant Oceania, I did find my review; here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=221264&highlight=

Notice that this was several years ago. Oceania was a big consideration for us on our upcoming (July 2011) Baltic cruise; however, our experience with Regent was so much better and the cost difference when you include everything you get with Regent vs what we know we would spend with Oceania was almost break even.

Assuming you meant Oceania, I did find my review; here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=221264&highlight=

Notice that this was several years ago. Oceania was a big consideration for us on our upcoming (July 2011) Baltic cruise; however, our experience with Regent was so much better and the cost difference when you include everything you get with Regent vs what we know we would spend with Oceania was almost break even.

Don't know why I was thinking Odyssey. . . . mixed up brain perhaps. I did find this review interesting as well. Don't think we would consider HAL, although, it does have a fairly good reputation. You made a good point about the server not become familiar with your likes and dislikes when you sit in different areas each evening. We've had good success with finding a server we enjoy and asking for his section every night. . . .

Ah,fond memories of the pool bar's drinks. My husband enjoys a pre luncheon bloody Mary while on vacation..and whether I am drinking water or something stronger, I certainly enjoy sitting with him at the pool bar. I have generally found the bartenders to be quite talented in preparing a wide variety of drinks and fun to chat with also! Crystal does not have a similar venue;I miss Regent's pool bar.

Don't think we would consider HAL, although, it does have a fairly good reputation. You made a good point about the server not become familiar with your likes and dislikes when you sit in different areas each evening. We've had good success with finding a server we enjoy and asking for his section every night. . . .

I found this review on the HAL Veendam very interesting. We've sailed HAL twice before (both on the Rotterdam), and had similar experiences in the dining rooms - good food, but not so great service. We also had a problem with an on-board virus, which we believe we got from our stateroom not being thoroughly cleaned from previous cruise guests, as we had been very careful with water, hand washing, etc. It ruined our cruise to be quarantined for 3 out of the 7 days. We were going to give HAL another chance, and originally booked to sail Veendam to S.A. in Jan (also in a Deluxe Ver.Suite). The A/C problems experienced by Macbest are rather alarming - that would have been a deal breaker for me as well. The crew attitude and condition of the ship experienced in this review make me glad we made the switch to Regent instead. We're so looking forward to Regent for a better experience, hope we're not disappointed again.

Wow - really shocked by this thread.

I just got off the Paul Gauguin where I had the cruise of a lifetime - best food, service -- best everything imaginable. Absolute perfection in every way. Planning to return.

SO - since the PG once sailed under the Regent banner -- I thought I'd start looking seriously into Regent - thinking I might get some of the same experience (except not in paradise).

Guess I will have to keep reading these boards to see how things really are.

Wow - really shocked by this thread.

I just got off the Paul Gauguin where I had the cruise of a lifetime - best food, service -- best everything imaginable. Absolute perfection in every way. Planning to return.

SO - since the PG once sailed under the Regent banner -- I thought I'd start looking seriously into Regent - thinking I might get some of the same experience (except not in paradise).

Guess I will have to keep reading these boards to see how things really are.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your PG cruise! That was our first luxury cruise -- it's something that you never forget. Yes -- Regent managed the PG until this year. Think you should give Regent a try. . . . you would no doubt love it:)

Pacheco, as you know I'm a big PG booster and have spent a fair amount of time on her. This was our first ever cruise (and our second). Since then we've done 2 more on her for 42 nights, and 5 other Regent cruises, all over a period of 10 years ajd over 80 nights.

We jumped over to Diamond in 2004, then Voyager in 2006, etc. The first thing I felt was that the level of formality is higher on the (now) Regent ships than on the PG. The level of intimacy is lower, the service a little less personal, and the connection to the destination is necessarily lower, since the ships move around while the PG stays in Pollynesia.

But the ships are lovely, the staterooms wonderful, the service and food very nice indeed. Give it a try, perhaps in a destination that can't be compared to FP at all--our favourite I think was Voyager Monte Carlo to Dover, although they're all good.

Just don't expect the PG, it's different.

[quote name= The first thing I felt was that the level of formality is higher on the (now) Regent ships than on the PG. The level of intimacy is lower' date=' the service a little less personal, and the connection to the destination is necessarily lower, since the ships move around while the PG stays in Pollynesia.

Just don't expect the PG, it's different.[/quote]

All the things I loved the most - the intimacy and amazing personal service. We are still talking about it.

I think I'll be like you -- and just keep going back on the PG. LOL

Archived