Just got off voyager

Hi - we got off Voyager a couple of days ago and I am currently sitting in Copenhagen airport. On the whole a good cruise - not a great cruise.

There seems to be a big difference in service levels from this year to last. Not sure we will cruise Regent again.

I willmpost a full report when I get some time later this week.

Denise

Hi - we got off Voyager a couple of days ago and I am currently sitting in Copenhagen airport. On the whole a good cruise - not a great cruise.

There seems to be a big difference in service levels from this year to last. Not sure we will cruise Regent again.

I willmpost a full report when I get some time later this week.

Denise

We await your report. This was precisely my recent experience on Mariner: a good cruise, but not great.

Regent Voyager Review 11th -22nd August 2010

Bored in the airport lounge so here it is - apologies for any typos I am doing it on my iPad.

We recently cruised on Regent Voyager from Stockholm to Copenhagen. We have cruised Regent only once before on Navigator last year, and enjoyed it so much we rebooked for this year. We have cruised many many times before with various different lines. Here are my thoughts and impressions.

We boarded in Stockholm, and we immediately greeted by a staff member whom we had had dinner with last year twice, so it was nice to see a familiar face. Checking in was quick and efficient, although the customary glass of bubbly was given to us on completion of check in rather than when we were waiting in line, which seemed a bit strange, but not an issue. We then went upstairs to lunch. Suites were made available at 2.30 and we were immediately greeted by our lovely Stewardess. We did have to ask for "the list" as it was not offered, again this seemed strange, but once we did get it our chosen bottle was delivered to the suite later that evening. I did think at if passengers had not cruised Regent before or read the brochure from cover to cover or looked at cruise critic then they would not have been aware of this, and a nice little cost saving would have been made for Regent, but perhaps that is me being cynical.

Dinner that night passed in a bit of a blur, although we did make new friends with a lovely couple from Colorado, as they were told (on more than one occasion on this cruise) that there were no tables for two available and they would have to share - we were just behind them in the line and offfered our services. Luckily we all got on extremely well and ended up dining with them on 4 more occasions. I was surprised that they were told theynhad to share especially as there were plenty of 4 tables standing empty.....

Breakfast next morning was interesting, we went to La Verandah and sat ourselves down, waiter came up and asked if we wanted coffee or tea, and I asked for tea, I also asked for cranberry (last year on navigator table sever always got this) and I was told with an arm gesture it was available for the buffet and I could collect it myself - not a major issue, but I was a little surprised, but made no comment. The service in this area was not good to be honest, the next day I asked for eggs Benedict from a different waiter and was told to go to the egg station and order them myself. On the last day we wanted baby lamb chops , also to be ordered from the egg station and unfortunately we could not get the server to understand we wanted lamb chops for 3 people and ended up with 3 lamb chops on one plate. These are not major issues, but Regent is supposed to be a luxury line - the staff in this area clearly needed additional training, but seemed so busy that it is unlikely that they will ever get it. There are not enough waiters for the size of the area, especially on busy port days when everybody wants breakfast at a similar time. Another morning there were no tables either side, so we had to sit outside, the young lady who directs you which side to go helpfully came out and told us we could get coffee and the coffee station round the corner, however when we walked round to get it there was only one cup!!! That day was not a great day, as we were tendering into Gotland, and for some reason destinations had decided that all tours should meet in the theatre within 15 minutes of each other - the result complete chaos and lines everywhere, I have never in all my years of cruising experienced anything like this on any line!!!

Ports

We were docked in St Petersburg for 2 nights - we were in the middle of a steel stock yard with container ships either side working day and night, the guides told us that this but of the port had not been used for ages as they had built a new cruise terminal, or ships would dock in the centre of town. We could only conclude that it must have been cheap - in fact I would hazzard a guess that Regent were probably paid to dock there - everybody I spoke to was extremely disappointed as this port was the cruise highlight and our home for 2 nights, and all had the same perception that it was not what you expected from a luxury cruise line.

Gotland turned out to be tender port for some reason, it was not scheduled to be, but it did end up being so, as previously mentioned there was carnage trying to get all of the excursions off at once, lines were snaking in every direction, this wasn't even herding as there was no organization behind it all all.

The other ports were fine, although the destination services really should put information pertaining to the port you dock at rather than where they are sending the excurs ions to eg Gdnyia, for some reason all the information provided the night before related to Gdansk, which resulted in us wondering where we were when the courtesy bus dropped us off. Fortunately we are great walkers and discovered a beautiful stretch of beach with bars and a marina, which I know a lot of other guests missed.

Our suite

We had booked a mid ship suite of deck 6, the suite itself was as lovely as navigator except the air conditioning did not work, it was like a sauna in there especially as northern Europe is experiencing a heat wave at the moment. We naturally reported it straight away, and engineers were dispatched. They were thoughtful enough to provide us with a fan, the A/C never did work effectively even after the maintenance so the fan was used extensively, but inky served to blow hot air around a bit like a hairdryer. - not quite the luxury experience I was expecting, but hey perhaps my standards are too high.

There were lots of good points, the wait staff in the Horizon Lounge were legendary and very very helpful when choosing a cocktail as was the bar man p on the pool deck - I am rubbish with names unfortunately. Artur one of the head waiters and Sunil one of the table waiters were also like all of the Navigstor staff last year, and we always happy to greet us and go the extra mile, but that can't be said for all staff.

Reading this back I sound like we didn't have a good time, we did, but I am glad to be going home which is very unusual for me. Perhaps we were spoiled on Navigator last year, or perhaps we saw everything through rose coloured spectacles last year, but this year just wasn't the luxury cruise we were expecting, and I seriously donut we will cruise Regent again in e near future. I cruised on celebrity in May and can honestly say the the service experienced on there was better than Regent.

I did put all of this on my comment card, which I delivered 2 days before we disembarked, but nobody called to discuss it, I guess they were busy wading for all of the others.

I dint want to put others off, however I do feel Regent has a problem and needs to look at service levels especially in La Verandah - it just felt like they didn't care.

The stuff about La Veranda is fairly alarming, we've always been served juice by our waiter. I admit we rarely ask for anything off-menu, but the off-hand approach sounds pretty bad.

We'll see how Voyager stands up in December. We're doing a low-risk Caribbean junket, our third time on Voyager, which we love. My hope is that our first-timer friend will be impressed rather than underwhelmed.

Englandsrose, thanks so much for taking the time to post your observations. Sorry to hear La Veranda service was not up to par. Did regent offer to move you into a suite with functioning AC--not having AC during mid summer for most of your voyage is absolutely not a luxury line standard. IMO, no AC for most of the voyage should earn you a healthy future cruise credit. I suggest (if u have one) have your TA write Regent a letter or you can do so directly. Can I ask you what suite you were in?

That you can describe your cruise experience as good but not great is, I think, a tribute to your patience and good humor. To have a cruise with no functioning AC and only a fan, with the chaos you describe when excursions depart, with enforced seating with others when the advertised promises are otherwise, with no response to a comment card (when you presumably had real issues), etc., would lead me to describe the cruise as other than "good."

On my recent Mariner cruise, I had some (but happily not all) of your issues -- indifferent service (and in my case cold food) in some of the restaurants, impatience with seating requests in Compass Rose (I insisted!), terrible crowding in Verandah just before tours depart, and absolutely unacceptable experience with the excursions operation and the crowding on the excursions themselves. (Imagine, for example, three busloads of passengers descending on the same site within minutes of one another and the long queues for the two toilets available there.) My counterpart with your problems with the cranberry juice, the lack of coffee cups, and the lamb chops is the following (an episode I still vividly remember): There were shrimp at the lunch buffet in Verandah. There was no hot sauce (as there had been on previous days). I had arrived at lunch shortly after opening. I thought I would wait a bit to see if it appeared. It didn't. I asked a senior attendant whether it was coming. The response was as if I had asked for a Beef Wellington to be prepared for me instantly. Well, she replied, I will try to get some for you, but this is a special request. Fifteen minutes later I saw a bowl of hot sauce placed on the buffet in front of the shrimp. No one made any effort to bring some to me.

I have status on Regent and covet the generous perks. But, like you, I am not certain I will sail with Regent again.

I must add that I concur on the excursions. Ours in December were organized decently except that most left within 15 minutes or so of each other, and at least one excursion we took involved about 6 buses full of people, all in the lounge at once. I felt like I was back in school. Excursion sizes were also generally larger than previous, before they became "free".

I agree Wes. Nothing would make me more nuts than not having properly functioning AC during a hot, summer cruise. What could be worse? Agree that the OP should write Regent and detail the complaint and that a credit should be forthcoming. Disturbing to read reviews like this--the chaos has been discussed extensively. Appreciate the review however...training is clearly a issue with some of the staff. It's a manageable problem that takes a committment in order to improve.

The first day, on the Navigator last week, service was slow in the CR. After not being served for 20 minutes we got up and walked to La Veranda where service was excellent and continued to be excellent throughout the cruise.

We also had a strange incident in Prime 7 on day 1. We had wanted an extra visit so were told to come back at 6 and see what was available. At 6 we were told by the manager that he had just given away two tables for four and could not accomodate us. For some reason I doubted what he said and mentioned it to my husband within his hearing. We decided to have a small snack and drink by the pool before going down to the CR for dinner. Hardly had we sat down by the pool when the manager came by and told my husband that a table for four had suddenly become available. We proceeded to dine at Prime 7 and the service was good - the manager did mention he had heard my disbelief. On the Mariner the Prime 7 manager would ask guests if they would like to dine in Prime 7 whenever there was an additional spot. This could also be because of its location.

One late afternoon in the outside portion of La Veranda I heard the manager Christian ask some Regent employees ( I think dancers) to keep the outside tables for guests as there was plenty of room inside. LA V staff were courteous and helpful at all times - ordering my DH's lamb chops and freshly squeezed OJ when asked.

We had very good service throughout the cruise and I wondered whether it was because of my cruise critic postings. So on the last couple of days I discreetly asked other guests their opinion. All of them mentioned that the service was good - one family did tell me that the first breakfast in CR was really bad but it improved later, which was our experience as well.

I noticed that after three days we encountered staff we hadnt seen before. This could be because they were being trained or were ill. Not sure which.

It sounds as if the Voyager, in particular, was sailing more than full this summer (not an excuse for poor service). Regent's ultra all-inclusivity,is filling their ships. . . . just wonder if the crew can give the 6 star service to so many people. I've read of a few people who are booking cruises on SS and SB simply because they can't get a suite on Regent -- even one year out. What I am reading here is that CR cannot accommodate tables for two, La Veranda is overcrowded and can no longer provide the service it has provided for years and some of the staff are perhaps not fully trained and are being sent out to provide service to a full ship. We know from experience that, on some itineraries, passengers are being herded through a full theater onto crowded buses.

The ships only have accommodations for a certain number of staff. When the ship is full (or above), there really is no way to increase the staff and apparently service really suffers. The solution is actually pretty easy -- put only the number of passengers on the ships that the staff can provide 6 star service to.

Last year Regent had difficulty with too many passengers on their Alaska itineraries. This year, at least on our cruise, the level of service was perfect, the food much better than we have had on the Navigator previously . . . . and, the ship was not carrying too many passengers. Regent is such a wonderful cruise line -- it saddens me when management makes decisions that lowers the quality of the "Regent experience".

I had the same problem with the AC, after a couple of days it was just hot in the room. They came in with their testers and finally brought a fan. After a few days it got cooler but I always used the fan. The Voyager is a hot ship when you get in hot areas. Someone said they use cool water instead of AC compressors to cool the ship. I don't know if that's true. It's different.

On our recent 15 day cruise on the Voyager the ship was extremely full, due to Regent offering tremendous deals and to move people from the Alaska overbooked cruises. We were able to dine in Prime 7 once on that cruise, despite asking many times. We waited many times for a 2 person table in CR. They seated us in the lounge and the wait was about 30 to 45 minutes.

My real irritation was excursions that felt like the Greyhound bus. I rue that excursions are now included as people feel they paid for them and why the heck not take all you can get. There is no price sensitivity at all and Regent just has to assume everyone is going to go on every excursion every time.

Crystal did it MUCH smarter with their As You Wish credits which they can adjust to any particular cruise or to an improving (or not ) economy. Try taking away "Included excursions!"

The bloom is definitely off the rose with Regent. We have another long cruise next year but it hasn't been paid for yet!

I knew that Alaska cruises were overbooked, but, rather than putting 550 people on the Navigator, they apparently offered them other ships? Interesting! Obviously, this is why the Voyager was so booked this summer. Thanks for the information, basedow (and I could not agree more about the excursions).

We had friends who recently got off the Voyager and it was their very first time on Regent. They told us "Never again." They cruise Crystal & Seabourn usually. Well, Regent did not win them over.

Bottom, line they will not be back on Regent anytime soon.

englandsrose, thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I've been wondering if Regent is trying to move away from the in-suite bar set up as I've noticed that the literature words things in such a way that it could be interpreted as only available to Penthouse Suites and higher. I have never had a problem such as having my request for a bottle denied, but, on our last cruise, was not able to get Bombay Gin as I was told only Tanqueray was available.

I can guarantee that I would not be as understanding as you if the air conditioner in our suite was not working for an extended period of time. A fan in the cabin is no long term solution.

It`s good to know that so many of the staff and crew continue to provide excellent service. They, too, must be frustrated with those who do not.

I tend to agree that things felt a bit different this year, but only having one previous Regent cruise under my belt (Navigator last summer) I didn't want to spout off from a position of limited knowledge.

I thought that the food was excellent, especially in the specialty restaurants. Service ranged from excellent to marginal at times. There was one occasion we got seated in CR and almost left to eat elsewhere after about a 10 minute delay with no drinks, etc. And they weren't even busy at that time. Excursions were good overall, with the possible exception of Gdynia. NOT impressed with the Water Smithy tour at all. I attributed some of the different vibe to an older demographic, but in hindsight, it might have been a bit more than that. . .

Having only sailed Regent once before, I can't say if the line has changed, or if it was an issue of Navigator vs. Voyager, or if it was a 10-day vs. a 7-day cruise, or if it was the Med vs. the Baltic, or something else entirely. All I know is that I enjoyed both cruises quite a bit; they were both good but different.

I hope things stay at least as good as they are now since we're already booked for another Med cruise next May with the kids and in-laws! We'll see!!

It sounds as if the Voyager, in particular, was sailing more than full this summer (not an excuse for poor service). Regent's ultra all-inclusivity,is filling their ships. . . . just wonder if the crew can give the 6 star service to so many people. I've read of a few people who are booking cruises on SS and SB simply because they can't get a suite on Regent -- even one year out. What I am reading here is that CR cannot accommodate tables for two, La Veranda is overcrowded and can no longer provide the service it has provided for years and some of the staff are perhaps not fully trained and are being sent out to provide service to a full ship. We know from experience that, on some itineraries, passengers are being herded through a full theater onto crowded buses.

The ships only have accommodations for a certain number of staff. When the ship is full (or above), there really is no way to increase the staff and apparently service really suffers. The solution is actually pretty easy -- put only the number of passengers on the ships that the staff can provide 6 star service to.

Last year Regent had difficulty with too many passengers on their Alaska itineraries. This year, at least on our cruise, the level of service was perfect, the food much better than we have had on the Navigator previously . . . . and, the ship was not carrying too many passengers. Regent is such a wonderful cruise line -- it saddens me when management makes decisions that lowers the quality of the "Regent experience".

TC, perhaps you should test drive Crystal or Seabourn to see what six star service really is. They both are a bit more formal. That being said, both lines will do anything for you. Crystal is introducing open dining in 2011 and Seabourn already has it. Waiting for a table for two for 45 minutes is not acceptable.

I appreciate this thread very much and I find it very disturbing. Regent is a five star line (they award themselves six but that is just silly marketing hype) and claim to deliver five star service CONSISTENTLY. Their prices are CONSISTANTLY high. We have a right to expect and demand service of CONSTITENTLY high quality. This business of crew turnover and training challenges is a management issue. It should never be a passenger issue. I don't want a stumbling intern serving me in a dining venue. I want and expect and demand a fully trained professional because that is what I was promised and what I paid for. Regent, train them on land or in the crew mess but don't impose them on me before they are ready to deliver consistent five star (yes, you claim six star) service. Regent, you promise individualized seating in the dining rooms. Don't instruct me I must share a table. That isn't what I was promised or what I paid for. Regent, you now boast shore excursions are included in the price I pay. Fine! But I expect a five star (yes, you claim six star) shore excursion experience because that, also, is what I have paid for. A mob scene in the theatre, long lines, and over-crowded tour buses isn't five (ok, six) star. Oh, and to beat a dead horse, you primise "only" 700 passengers on Voyager and Mariner and 490 on Navigator. Your words. Don't expect me to look the other way when you pack dozens more on the ship. That stinks too! There is nothing five (ok, six) star about it.

Since we're waiting for our first Regent cruise in January, I find these recent experiences alarming. We've booked a cruise at a price double what we normally pay on other lines, expecting at least a 5-star experience - great service, great food, and NO crowding. If we experience anything like what these posts have indicated, then it will be not only our first Regent cruise, but our last. We can get that kind of experience on mass-market lines for half the price, thank you!

I also read recently that in-suite bar setups are for "penthouse & higher" but since I was told we could, I have every intention of asking our Stewardess to make sure there is Wine & Gin (hopefully Beefeaters or Bombay) stocked at all times, since it's apparently "all inclusive". If we get any grief over that, we will not be happy cruisers. The issue of Excursion overcrowding is also scary, and hope that this is not an issue on Mariner.

Archived