Just got off voyager

Since we're waiting for our first Regent cruise in January, I find these recent experiences alarming. We've booked a cruise at a price double what we normally pay on other lines, expecting at least a 5-star experience - great service, great food, and NO crowding. If we experience anything like what these posts have indicated, then it will be not only our first Regent cruise, but our last. We can get that kind of experience on mass-market lines for half the price, thank you!

I also read recently that in-suite bar setups are for "penthouse & higher" but since I was told we could, I have every intention of asking our Stewardess to make sure there is Wine & Gin (hopefully Beefeaters or Bombay) stocked at all times, since it's apparently "all inclusive". If we get any grief over that, we will not be happy cruisers. The issue of Excursion overcrowding is also scary, and hope that this is not an issue on Mariner.

I have no doubt that you will have a 6-star experience on the Mariner (besides, if you have any issues, we'll get you drunk and make you feel better;) Just kidding). Many posters on this thread are Regent loyalists (as I am) and are making note of the overcrowding of ships during the summer. We have not seen this other times (so our cruise should be fine). What you are reading are people who are comparing Regent 2-3 years ago and now. Almost all new passengers love the experience. Unfortunately, most cruise lines have cut back on certain things in this weak econony. If you have any problems getting Wine and Gin in your suite, let us know:D

TC wrote, "Unfortunately, most cruise lines have cut back on certain things in this weak econony. If you have any problems getting Wine and Gin in your suite, let us know."

Not so on every cruise line. :p

Sorry, Suite Travels. . . . your "hook" which hopes to catch Regent passengers and get them on Crystal won't work on this one. Hmmmmm, unless Crystal will provide Wine and Gin in your suite at no cost (and not using those OBCs that Crystal is so proud of). On Regent, we get the Wine and Gin AND OBCs to use as we wish. You may want to work this angle on the Crystal board:o

Miles, will accept some minor niggles on Regent but will not sail Seabourn (no running track, liberal smoking policy) and Crystal (liberal smoking policy)...as Keith often says,

it is good to have choices...pls respect most of the posters on this thread enjoy Regent, I for one, respect your choice of Crystal.

Not to worry. we have Cristal and anything we want in our suite. You read the reviews. Not so good...right?

Regent is obviously failing in service and product. Seabourn and Crystal will exceed the Regent product as they always have.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=69795 Some Crystal reviews aren't so great either:confused: Actually "ST", recent input regarding Regent cruises is welcome on this board. However, it really seems like you only appear on the the Regent board if you feel there is something to criticize. Most of us understand that you cruised on Regent multiple times and find Crystal to be a better fit for you. Good for you -- you found something that fits your lifestyle that isn't Regent. At some point, you may want to realize that things on Regent are not the way they were -- perhaps they are better -- perhaps they are not. In either case, IMO, it is in poor taste to post on a board with the intent to criticize -- especially when your criticism is based on less than recent information. Regent is running consistantly full ships. . . . . can the same be said of Crystal?

Well, Crystal IS consistent. They consistently insist you must dine with the same people at the same table every night. That is why I don't look at Crystal schedules--consistently. Otherwise I have no doubt they are an excellent choice.

Apparently we posted at the same time. Unfortunately, the response is likely to be that seating will change in 2011. As you know, there will be open seating. . . . . . oh, but wait. . . . . you have to book your choice 24 hours in advance. Hmmmmm, won't work for us.;)

Regent is obviously failing in service and product. Seabourn and Crystal will exceed the Regent product as they always have.

Look, I'm as alarmed as any Regent fan by reports like this, but you are overstating the situation I believe. It's not like we haven't received *positive* reports lately as well.

We'll see; I'm doing a Caribbean trip on Voyager in December, our 4th on this ship. I know it will be great fun, but hope service, food, etc. will be excellent. I will be paying attention.

But don't keep going on about Crystal, y ou will not persuade me. Too formal for me.

Apparently we posted at the same time. Unfortunately, the response is likely to be that seating will change in 2011. As you know, there will be open seating. . . . . . oh, but wait. . . . . you have to book your choice 24 hours in advance. Hmmmmm, won't work for us.;)

Not true. Shows how much you know about Crystal. You have not steped foot on either Crystal or Seabourn.

Just stay on Regent and enjoy.

If I may, I'm not trying to convert anyone to Crystal, but I'd like to set the record straight.

How I believe the new policy beginning in January will work is that with your reservation, you state which time would be best for you. A large section of the main dining room will be set aside for those persons not doing the 6:15 or 8:30 seatings. However on any night that you choose not to go at the time of your seating, you will still be seated by the maitre d only it will be like going to any restaurant where you may have to wait for a table, just as if you were doing open seating elsewhere. In addition, there are other choices. Crystal has two fabulous alternative dining rooms, Silk Road and Prego. They are open seating with reservations. The sushi bar is open seating without reservations. Also open seating without reservations is the casual dining on the Lido Deck will is open several nights during a cruise.

As for too formal, yes Crystal has definite formal nights -- generally three per 10-14 night cruise depending upon how many port and sea days there are. For example, the ten day Pacific Coastal cruises next April are quite port intensive and have only one formal night. I love formal nights but general wear fancy pant suits. When I retired, I gave up dresses and pumps for comfort. There are no fashion policy saying you must wear a long gown, although many women do. The men can wear a dark suit or a tux. After dinner if you wish, you may change into more casual clothing as long as it at least meets the casual dress code (country club casual). The other nights are other casual or informal. The dress code for informal for men is slacks and jacket, tie optional and for women, a dress or pant suit. Yes, this is more formal than Regent or Oceania, but it is not an every night formal experience.

Hi - got back late last night, and just ploughing through the responses from my posting.

I just want to clarify a few points

We were in suite 647, my husband believes that the A/C was probably not broken, but that we were at the end of the duct, so when it was hot and everybody else turned theirs up, the system could not cope with it and as we were last in the block as such, we did not get any benefit from it. Unfortunately the ship sailed full, so we could not be moved.

The food items I ordered in La Veranda were actually the daily specials, not off menu items, which is why I was surprised that the wait staff would not take the order - but it was not a massive issue, I am more that capable of walking to the egg ordering station and asking there - my main issue was that the server there was a little unsure of english on occasions. What I did struggle with was the way I was told - complete with hand gestures.

I do not want nor expect a cruise credit because of these issues, however I do believe that the senior management of the Regent/Apollo need to be aware that they do have issues, and that they need addressing to ensure that Regent keeps its previously good reputation. They seem to be simple to me i.e. a detailed staff training program on what is expected in terms of service before they are put on a ship, and not on the job training. If I was on that board I would certainly want to know. We are all aware that if one has a bad experience then human nature is to highlight this rather than the plus points, but the best orgnisations are those that respond to critism rather than bask in the glory of what they are doing right.

On the plus side - the food was consistently good in Compass Rose, Signatures and Prime 7 - because most passengers went to Berlin and we chose not to, we were lucky enough to secure a second reservation at Signatures, and both times we had consistently excellent service and food. We loved Prime 7, as in the UK a good steak is extremely hard to find, so I am beefed out (in more ways than one according the scales!!!!). As previously mentioned the bar staff and drinks were consistently good both at the Pool Deck and in Horizons which is where we spent most time pre and post dinner, and were all great to have a chat to remembering our preferred drinks and the fact that my son (15) liked potato chips with his sprite.

As I already mentioned we had a good cruise, but not a fantastic cruise.

Hope this helps a bit, and please ask if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them if I can.

We were in suite 647, my husband believes that the A/C was probably not broken, but that we were at the end of the duct, so when it was hot and everybody else turned theirs up, the system could not cope with it and as we were last in the block as such, we did not get any benefit from it. Unfortunately the ship sailed full, so we could not be moved.

This speculation regarding the cause of the AC problem is interesting. If your husband's surmise is correct, there is a systemic issue with certain suites on the ship -- not (merely) an issue with a malfunctioning control in your suite. (After reading your initial post I was wondering why they did not simply replace your control unit/thermostat if the problem lay there.)

I assume that Regent is not alone among luxury lines in selling out the entire ship when they can. I understand why economic considerations might argue for selling every last suite. At the same time, one would think that a few suites might be set aside and left empty for emergency situations like yours so that people could be moved there if there was a broken pipe, malfunctioning plumbing, AC problems, etc. After all, it's not as if a guest in such a situation can simply be moved to another hotel down the road.

We sail on Mariner in 2 weeks. Our 5th. Mariner combined with 6 Voyagers and one Navigator. Our first use of Regent's air and first use of booked excursions. We always made our own arrangements.

An hour ago I received an e-mail from Regent offering us either a penthouse or an horizon suite at an extra cost of $850/person for this 10 day cruise. This indicates that the ship is not full. It is also the first time that no plans have been made for C.Cers to meet as a group on board !! I think that there are only a half dozen posters, anyway.

And so I have read this thread and the thread about included excursions, and will present my views on these two while I am on board. As usual, I will maintain my usual positive attitude. We are looking forward to 'relaxing in splendour.' On meeting the suite attendant I will change the champagne and order our usual Grey Goose for SWMBO and Glenmorangie for me. It has always worked, even when it was a cabin steward !!

An hour ago I received an e-mail from Regent offering us either a penthouse or an horizon suite at an extra cost of $850/person for this 10 day cruise. This indicates that the ship is not full.

Upgrades don't always indicate the ship is not full, it can just mean that there are too many people wait listed or guaranteed for lower suite grades so they try to encourage people to move up and pay a little more to maximise revenue.

In this case though your ship does look to be well below capacity with no grades closed at all even at this late stage so I don't think you are going to suffer with any overcrowding issues.

Have a great time.

Englandrose, thanks for the clarifications. Glad this is not our cabin on our upcoming trip (we're in 653 an 655).

But I see that your cabin is in the middle of the starboard row of cabins (ours is second from the end). So I can't see how your husband's theory would work. We've been second last in the row before on Navigator, and last in a row in a Voyager PH, and have had no problems.

I agree that it would be good for them to keep a couple of cabins in reserve--even the worst cabin would be better than one with no air conditioning, plumbing problems or leaks.

As for La Veranda, I'm in shock! The waiter would not take your order for the special item of the day? Wow, never encountered that before, I will definitely be on the alert.

But glad you had such a positive attitude overall and enjoyed the cruise and the food!

Neviboy, did you not use the included excursions on Voyager last December? I agree, the offer of cheap PH etc. upgrades often means that they want to open up lower-level cabins at the cheaper price, precisely to fill the ship.

I think of all the comments made by the OP, the one I would have found truly disturbing is the A/C one. Having just come back from a Mariner Med cruise (very HOT temps, in the 90s every day)I don't think I could have coped . Luckily, our cabin was if anything too cold at times (which we could adjust anyway). temps in the public areas were the first couple of days very cold , but afterwards they were comfortable.

I will post under a new thread about our experience, which was very good. We did experience on a couple of ocassions a bit of chaos at La Veranda during breakfast. Made a mental note of trying Compass Rose but forgot about it.

Englishrose, I don't understand why you would not request/ expect a future cruise credit. The lack of A/C IMO would qualify for one. You can always decline to use it.

But don't keep going on about Crystal, you will not persuade me. Too formal for me.

I can't be persuaded, either. Too formal. From everything I've heard, too stuffy. Don't forget the smoking policy. And, when I learned that one still has to sign chits and have drinks, etc., accounted for, I laughed. I don't care if they charge me too much and then give some of it back, it's still an account-based system like Oceania, not an open bar.

My wife and I are boarding Voyager this weekend in Stockholm for a 12 day Baltic Cruise. FIRST TIME ON A REGENT SHIP. I WILL POST MY VIEWS WHEN WE RETURN IN MID-SEPTEMBER. I HAVE A GUT FEELING WE WILL HAVE A VERY ENJOYABLE CRUISE. WE HAVE ENJOYED OCEANIA AND OPTED TO TRY REGENT AT LEAST ONCE. We have a C Horizon Suite.

We sail on Mariner in 2 weeks. Our 5th. Mariner combined with 6 Voyagers and one Navigator. Our first use of Regent's air and first use of booked excursions. We always made our own arrangements.

An hour ago I received an e-mail from Regent offering us either a penthouse or an horizon suite at an extra cost of $850/person for this 10 day cruise. This indicates that the ship is not full. It is also the first time that no plans have been made for C.Cers to meet as a group on board !! I think that there are only a half dozen posters, anyway.

And so I have read this thread and the thread about included excursions, and will present my views on these two while I am on board. As usual, I will maintain my usual positive attitude. We are looking forward to 'relaxing in splendour.' On meeting the suite attendant I will change the champagne and order our usual Grey Goose for SWMBO and Glenmorangie for me. It has always worked, even when it was a cabin steward !!

That Horizon suite offer on Mariner sounds a very good one. Those are fantastic on Voyager but on Mariner they look superb. Did you take up the offer? I am really looking forward to your reports in your inimitable style.

The very reason we decided to try Regent is because of the less formal dress, open any-time seating for dining, and all-inclusiveness without having to sign for every little thing. Not to mention the non-liberal smoking policy. All pluses for us. I was also hoping to avoid the long waits and lineups for disembarking on excursions, so hope that isn't going to be a problem as some posts suggested recently. I can't wait to experience Regent, to see how it stacks up against others we've sailed. The price difference better be worth it! (DH is skeptical, but since it's my choice this time - bithday celebration - he's not kicking too hard).

TC, I'll be sure to come calling if the steward(ess) gives us any grief over stocking our favored tipples. :D Champagne is not one of them.

Englandsrose, thank you for your report. Just one word of clarification though: Visby (Gotland) has always been a tender port. Regent really needs to get their act together regarding excursions in tender ports. This was a recurring problem on our cruise in May. Surely they can see that if you are using tenders, all tours can't leave at the same time. I think I could solve this pretty simply--just space them out a bit, taking into account how many tender seats are available and how long it takes the tender to go back and forth. It's not that hard.

Englandsrose, thank you for your report. Just one word of clarification though: Visby (Gotland) has always been a tender port. Regent really needs to get their act together regarding excursions in tender ports. This was a recurring problem on our cruise in May. Surely they can see that if you are using tenders, all tours can't leave at the same time. I think I could solve this pretty simply--just space them out a bit, taking into account how many tender seats are available and how long it takes the tender to go back and forth. It's not that hard.

We did not tender in Visby. When we docked, the captain said it was the first time that the Voyager had docked in Visby. Don't know if this was a one time thing or not (July 11-18). They did have most of the tours staggered though.

Karen

Archived