May or September

rhsjr

We are thinking about returning again to Alaska, most likely cruise and some extended time. We have been there in July and August and wondered how different it would be in May or September. Comments please.

Historically speaking, late May is dry, September is wet. Early May can be very cold, though this year that wasn't the case. Wildlife vewing in general is about equal, though bears fishing for salmon are mostly an August-September event. Glacier vewing is somewhat better in September because the snow has melted off the blue ice, but in May you have lots of snow-capped mountains.

I would pick which ever date works best for you. As we all know, while history does increase the odds for what the general weather can be like it seems that the era that we now live in that the range of weather is so much more unpredictable.

Keith

I have not been to Alaska, but originally chose a September cruise because 1) have read many reports that the cruiseships get further up Tracey Arm and have a greater chance of making it all the way to the end, 2) wanted cooler weather (am from florida), and 3) have read that there are a lot less, if any mosquitos.

However, when I started researching the sunrise/sunset times, I discovered that sunrise is at about 4:00-4:30 am and sunset is at about 9:30 pm in May. In September, sunrise is roughly 6:30-7 am and sunset 6:30-7 pm. June 21 is the longest day of the year. Here is the link in which I found that info:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

A major consideration for me was viewing from our balcony. After taking a look at the times that we would be sailing away from ports on the ship, I discoverred that if we took the September cruise, it would be dark. I wanted the greatest possible chance of having good viewing while sailing with the most daylight time, so I switched our plans to May. This is for the sailing that we chose, daylight viewing times from other itineraries may vary.

As far as weather goes, what I found was that October being the wettest month of the year (8.34 inches) in Juneau (popular mid-way cruise port). September runs a close second(7.54 inches).

June supposedly has the least amount of precipitation, with May being a close second (3.48 inches). Spring is late May or early June, and snowfall occurs in all months except usually June, July, and August. Here is a link regarding temps/rainfall in Juneau (popular mid-way cruise port):

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Alaska/Juneau/

With all that being said, those are the reasons that I chose a late-May cruise over a September sailing, though I have read many reports of people who love September Alaskan cruises. As said before, it is reported that there is a much greater chance of making it all the way to the end of Tracey Arm in September. In other months this area is protected because of the seal pups in the area, so cruise ships cannot get close. Budget Queen is a great source of info on this subject, maybe she will drop by and post!

Good Luck and let us know which you choose!

I have not been to Alaska, but originally chose a September cruise because 1) have read many reports that the cruiseships get further up Tracey Arm and have a greater chance of making it all the way to the end, 2) wanted cooler weather (am from florida), and 3) have read that there are a lot less, if any mosquitos.

However, when I started researching the sunrise/sunset times, I discovered that sunrise is at about 4:00-4:30 am and sunset is at about 9:30 pm in May. In September, sunrise is roughly 6:30-7 am and sunset 6:30-7 pm. June 21 is the longest day of the year. Here is the link in which I found that info:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

A major consideration for me was viewing from our balcony. After taking a look at the times that we would be sailing away from ports on the ship, I discoverred that if we took the September cruise, it would be dark. I wanted the greatest possible chance of having good viewing while sailing with the most daylight time, so I switched our plans to May. This is for the sailing that we chose, daylight viewing times from other itineraries may vary.

As far as weather goes, what I found was that October being the wettest month of the year (8.34 inches) in Juneau (popular mid-way cruise port). September runs a close second(7.54 inches).

June supposedly has the least amount of precipitation, with May being a close second (3.48 inches). Spring is late May or early June, and snowfall occurs in all months except usually June, July, and August. Here is a link regarding temps/rainfall in Juneau (popular mid-way cruise port):

http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Alaska/Juneau/

With all that being said, those are the reasons that I chose a late-May cruise over a September sailing, though I have read many reports of people who love September Alaskan cruises. As said before, it is reported that there is a much greater chance of making it all the way to the end of Tracey Arm in September. In other months this area is protected because of the seal pups in the area, so cruise ships cannot get close. Budget Queen is a great source of info on this subject, maybe she will drop by and post!

Good Luck and let us know which you choose!

I'm going this Sept. and then next May, mid month. It will be fun to see the differences.

One thing to keep in mind is that many activities/vendors don't open until mid or late May. ie the road thru Denali opened this year on May 20 but not all the way until June 8. So if you were planning an early May departure, followed a 1-week land tour you may find that some activities won't be open. So be sure to check web sites of anything you DEFINITELY want to do, to ensure they're open.

With weather, you get what you get ! Right now it looks gorgeous on the Seward web cam and dry in Denali, yet last year at this time it stormed so hard in Seward that fishing charters were cancelled and we had a snow flurry in Denali !

...... As said before, it is reported that there is a much greater chance of making it all the way to the end of Tracey Arm in September. In other months this area is protected because of the seal pups in the area, so cruise ships cannot get close.
We took the Adventure Bound boat out of Juneau to Tracy Arm in May and were very impressed by the way Steve, the captain, got us all the way up close to the face of the North Sawyer Glacier. The cruise ships stopped and turned around pretty far back, but the Adventure Bound slowly and steadily maneuvered its way right through the ice using small channels close to the shoreline where the cruise ships could not go.

Steve told us that he is almost always able to get up to the glacier. He said that if he does not make it, he will give all the passengers on board that day a future trip free.

Frankly I have been to Alaska in every month from May thru September and I think Yukon has summed it up very concisely in post #2. I am not a huge fan of either May or September but have gone in September the past 2 years only because it has been an inexpensive getaway.

Like Putterdude we have cruised Alaska almost every month. It is very simple -- look at the prices! May and September are the bargain months for cruising, and there is a reason for that. They are less in demand because there can be certain shortcomings in those months.

Particularly for a return cruise to Alaska, they can be a very good price/features trade off. For a first time cruiser, perhaps the mid summer higher priced months would be a better choice.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We have cruised to Alaska one time in August and 5 times in May-love May! However, this year we will try it in September. Yes, we know the chances for rain are greater, but we have always been prepared for rain in May. Even if it rains a lot, we will still be in Alaska, our favorite destination. :)

One consideration, if adding interior Alaska touring??? If so, I only recommend northbound sailing in both timeframes, with the later May, and earliest Sept, being the ideal of the this timeframe. Going in the other direction, has more negatives to be well prepared for.

Archived