newbie question about formal night - where should we eat?

ocnmeg

Hi everyone - So grateful for CC, have found so many answers to my questions - and questions I didn't even know to ask:-) Here is my question: we are going on Explorer 10/23, 5 nights to Bermuda, 18th bday present for my son. We plan on "formal" for formal night - I know (from CC) that many men, esp young men, opt for suits instead of tuxes. However, when I told my son about the cruise his first question was - Can I get a tux? It is just the two of us, he will be in a tux and I will be wearing a LBD with the "good" costume jewelry. Would you suggest dining in Portofinos on formal night? I don't want him to feel overdressed (not that he will care in all likelihood but you know how Moms worry :p;)

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone - So grateful for CC, have found so many answers to my questions - and questions I didn't even know to ask:-) Here is my question: we are going on Explorer 10/23, 5 nights to Bermuda, 18th bday present for my son. We plan on "formal" for formal night - I know (from CC) that many men, esp young men, opt for suits instead of tuxes. However, when I told my son about the cruise his first question was - Can I get a tux? It is just the two of us, he will be in a tux and I will be wearing a LBD with the "good" costume jewelry. Would you suggest dining in Portofinos on formal night? I don't want him to feel overdressed (not that he will care in all likelihood but you know how Moms worry :p;)

Thanks in advance!

Your son will look completely classy in a tux on formal night! You should be prepared to know that many men, but not the majority, will be wearing a tux. Either venue will work. Portofinos being a bit more special in the ambiance department.

Don't miss out on formal night in the MDR! In all honesty, a romantic dinner with mom at Portofinos might be more awkward than rocking the tux in the mdr.

I totally agree. If you plan on sitting at a table with a lot of people, you'll have more fun with everyone dressed up than having just the two of you sitting there in Portofino. You'll get to see everyone else in their tuxes and nice dresses and it sounds like your son will really enjoy that.

I think the alternative restaurants are more for people like me on formal night--I don't really like to dress up. The MDR is really the place to be on formal night if you like to dress up. Definitely go to Portofino, but do it another night.

Have fun!

Don't miss out on formal night in the MDR! .

Agreed! Especially if he wants to wear a tux!

on another note, good to see you back man..........thought the salad thread done you in for good. :eek: LOL.:p

Don't miss out on formal night in the MDR! In all honesty, a romantic dinner with mom at Portofinos might be more awkward than rocking the tux in the mdr.

haha that's true - didn't realize Portofinos was "romantic" - we will def do MDR.

Thanks everyone for the replies - CC to the rescue again!:D:D:D

on another note, good to see you back man..........thought the salad thread done you in for good. :eek: LOL.:p

thanks Ryan! It's good to be back. I don't understand why creating one of the most viral threads in recent CC history gets your account suspended for a month. In any case, Yen is back baby!

Go to the dining room with everyone else! What you're wearing is perfect! The dining room, especially with tablemates, is a great, fun time. It's not just a place to eat, it's a social, fun occassion!

My thoughts as well. I really like formal night. Also lots of opportunities for pictures.

Portofino and Chops are more casual, so you may feel a bit over-dressed on formal nights. Try scheduling those for a less formal evening.

Portofino on Explorer was not casual; every man I saw was wearing a jacket and tie and the women were also dressy.

Since you ask about feeling overdressed.... If you have traditional dining, hopefully you will meet and know your tablemates before formal night. I mention this because we had a table that did not dress for formal night. Half the table wore their usual blue jeans and work shirts and the men even made a snarky remark to my DH about letting the cruise line "force" him into a monkey suit. So at our table for 10, 4 folks had formal attire. We had been on many cruises and are adults so shook the comment off but others might not.

My advice is don't sweat it but just kind of scope out the table before hand to know what to expect.

It is always great to see someone who wants to experience traditional cruising. Especially a young gentleman. Don't worry too much about your table mates, just talk enthuseastically about looking forward to getting dressed up for formal night. If they don't like it, it is their problem. It is your cruise, go out and enjoy yourselves.

He will not be overdressed. MOST passengers follow the dress code. My guess is that if he wears the tux, others at your table will feel ashamed if the do not abide by the dress code. Also, as a side benefit, he will get plenty of attention from the young ladies on board as well.

He will not be overdressed. MOST passengers follow the dress code. My guess is that if he wears the tux, others at your table will feel ashamed if the do not abide by the dress code. Also, as a side benefit, he will get plenty of attention from the young ladies on board as well.

agreed!!!!!!!!!!

OP: your question Dont miss the main dining room on formal night. My son has his own tuxedo and wears it on every cruise on formal nights.

Regarding Portofino: If you want to make an evening special, make reservations for Portofino for Day 3, ok or day 4. Portofino is smart casual and I would say 99% of folks have always been dressed up and looking fab. Those few we have seen walk into Portofino not dressed appropriately are noticed (you just cant not, it is so wrong! lol).

Go for it! My husband always wears a tux and has never felt overdressed or out of place. We've always been seated with people that dress similarly. We are more comfortable overdressing than underdressing.

We agree! Same here.

Archived